Savings Potential and Safe

nkraai

Savings Potential and Safe

Post by nkraai »

I am a male elementary teacher with six years of teaching experience along with my masters, all in a high performing school district in Colorado. Besides living in Hungary for a short period of time, and doing volunteer teaching in Rwanda, I don't have any international experience. I am looking for specific countries/cities/schools beyond the generic answer of "go to Asia or the Middle East" where I could not only save a decent amount of my salary living frugally, but also live somewhere that is safe for my wife and young son. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
PsyGuy

More

Post by PsyGuy »

Since your asking for specifics, you need to give us a better idea of your savings expectations and your definition of 'safe'?
Being from Colorado I take it you have a Cali perspective and lifestyle?
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

Japan is as safe as you can get. It's expensive to live in, but if all you do is go to the amazing parks they have for kids (most free), don't own a car and use public transportation, you could save a little.

I've been to Thailand, it's pretty safe and cheap. Also Korea is pretty safe and cheap.

Have you heard of DoDEA? It's the Department of Defense Education Activity. It's basically public school for active duty, dod civilian/contractors, stationed/living overseas. The pay is great. The benefits are better and you can save a ton of money. It's tough to get into, but we have schools on military bases all over the world including Japan, Korea, Spain, Germany and Italy, among others. Check us out at DoDEA.edu and good luck.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I think that a better approach is to look at how each school's package works for your family not necessarily what safe country has the highest savings potential. Several things to consider include flights, housing, salary, tuition, tax rates, educational steps/levels, bonuses, moving costs, setup costs, professional development, loans, transportation costs, etc. So while I'm in a safe country (Hong Kong), each school (and there are tons) has a different package. Earning potentials vary greatly even in the same school depending on personal circumstances.
nkraai

Re: More

Post by nkraai »

Well I don't know what a Cali perspective and lifestyle is? I'm from Colorado not California. If you mean laid back, adventerous, and flexible, that's the Colorado lifestyle, and that's who I am.

I am hoping to save at least 1/3 of my salary. I won't have a mortgage at home or other significant bills. We would probably travel back to the states 1-2 times a year and probably not leave the country every chance we got in order to save more.

Safe to me is a place where my wife can take public transportation around the city to shop or explore with my young son and not fear for her safety anymore than any other big city during the day. We are both used to public transport in Denver and Chicago.

I would love a place that offers additional pay for coaching or taking on extra-curriculars along with places where tutoring is paid well.

[quote="PsyGuy"]Since your asking for specifics, you need to give us a better idea of your savings expectations and your definition of 'safe'?
Being from Colorado I take it you have a Cali perspective and lifestyle?[/quote]
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

China, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand all have the potential for good savings and I find them very safe. I would also say all of them places where kids are treated very well. Now pollution is an issue in all the cities where you're going to find schools in those countries and that issues drives folks away as well as the general size and chaos of those countries' cities.

Good luck.
PsyGuy

Humm

Post by PsyGuy »

More like your going to the Castle Rock outlet mall on a Friday afternoon from Denver, around 4pm, do you:

A) Try to kill as many people as possible on the way (like everyone else).

B) Grip the wheel tightly and pray (like everyone else who isnt in group A above).

C) Drive to DIA and fly from DEN to COS, rent a car, and then drive to Castle Rock.

D) Stay home and go another day.

(A) and (C) are Californians, (B) and (D) are Coloradons.

Ok now about your question:

The problem is that safety and saving are usually inverse factors of one another, the more of one you have the less of the other. To begin with for foreigners really just about everywhere is safe compared to Denver and Chicago. Your more likely to have problems there then just about anywhere else in the world that has ISs. That said as safety and quality of life increase you quickly see your saving potential diminish. I know you said not to just say Asia, but Asia is going to be your best bet for a balance between the two. I would rank order them as follows:

1) South Korea: Lots of money here, relatively inexpensive quality of life on a typical IT package. Lots of western conveniences, very safe, and a number of schools have recently been started here increasing demand. Pretty safe all around.

2) China: Lots of demand, and as long as you stay clear of the seedier lifestyle, very safe. Most ITs start their career here, VERY good saving potential with 2 salaries and the typical IT package.

3) Malaysia: I wanted to put this higher, but there are some cultural nuances that just make life a little more difficult, particularly the tendency to 'overwork' on the teaching load and collateral responsibilities.

4) Singapore: Probably the safest country in Asia. Harder to save on one salary, but next to HK its as western as asia gets.

Regions that didnt make the list:

1) Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam: You can save money, but there is certainly an elevated risk, and why take it if safety is really important to you. With the cost of living you can save, but compared to money you can get elsewhere unless your at a top tier school the saving potential isnt that impressive outside the local economy.

2) Hong Kong/Japan: Too expensive, you can save a little maybe, but you cant really bank a lot of money. Very save and fun places to be.

3) Taiwan: Schools here dont pay as well as China, and in my experience they have this belief that since they are NOT China, teachers should accept less as a premium. Its not any safer then anywhere else in Asia, and there really isnt anything noteworthy. Taipei is just as dirty as Beijing.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Psy I disagree with your assessment of Taiwan. I live in a city of 2 million plus and I would have no problem sticking hundreds dollar bills all over my body and walking around at 5AM in any district. I also make alot so I can afford this.
PsyGuy

Yes

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes you wold, you would be arrested for public intoxication, and indecent exposure. At the very least they'd lock you up for being the crazy guilu.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

My point is Taiwan is extremely safe. You should know this, you were a buxi-bon teacher in Kaoshiung 8 or so years ago.

Also your statement about there being nothing noteworthy is completely irresponsible, Taiwan is a beautiful country. An outdoors paradise. Plus money goes a long way here. TAS and KAS pay quite nicely you can bank alot at those schools.

Stop spurting out things you have no knowledge about, people are looking for real advice to help make real decisions.

No information is better then your typical misinformation.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I didn't say it wasn't safe, I didn't say it was extremely safe either (Singapore is extremely safe). The question was about balancing safety with savings potential, and Taiwan just doesn't make the cut in my experience.

You can bank a lot at any elite school, that's disingenuous to use that example as the standard comparison. When you rank order a list of anything some one has to be on the bottom.

Everyone thinks here countr is beautiful, but no there's nothing noteworthy about Taiwan.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I personally consider the opportunity to easily save 25K a year and live in one of the more safer countries in the world a good thing.

I'm not sure about there being nothing noteworthy. There are over 100 peaks over 12,000 feet to climb, its considered one of the easiest countries to long-distance road bike, there are nice beaches, there are plenty of schools that are top-notch, and to stay true to the post it's very it's a cheap and an extremely safe country.

I know that your ideal country provides opportunities for sex tourism and Taiwan lacks this and maybe is not your cup of tea.

Stop posting about things you have zero knowledge.
IAMBOG

Re: Reply

Post by IAMBOG »

[quote="PsyGuy"]
You can bank a lot at any elite school, that's disingenuous to use that example as the standard comparison. When you rank order a list of anything some one has to be on the bottom.[/quote]

I, personally, would rather have specifics of schools from someone that lives or has lived there than sweeping statements like, "Taiwan: Schools here dont pay as well as China, and in my experience they have this belief that since they are NOT China, teachers should accept less as a premium", which is your usual generic fluff.

What is your experience of Taiwan, out of interest?

I just had a look back at another thread that PsyGuy responded to http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... php?t=2428 . I don't believe he has ever been to or had any contact with this school, although he may have been to Phuket on vacation, yet he sewed together a bunch of generic comments about 2nd tier schools and Phuket to make it sound like he had inside information. This kind of thing is damaging to this forum and reduces its legitimacy.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

@IAMBOG
I worked in Kaohsiung for awhile. Have and know a number of people in Taiwan.

I have personal experience at Phuket Day Academy.

@liketotravel

Seriously, mountains and trails is what you consider noteworthy. Sorry, thats ordinary. Every region (except Singapore) has mountains and trails. Id rather go to Mt. Fuji, in Japan then Taiwan, and Japan didnt make my list. China give you access to a little range of peaks called the Himalayas. Can Taiwan top that, since you mentions "peaks and trails"? Sorry, Thats what I call 'ordinary' not noteworthy.
Just because there are places less interesting then yours, does not make what you have noteworthy and interesting.

No, Taiwan isnt super cheap, its about as cheap as anywhere else in Asia (outside the little tigers).

Taiwan doesnt have a sex industry, are you kidding me, there are about as many opportunities in Taipei as there are in Shanghai, or Seoul. Is it Bangkok, no, but i dont know anywhere that is.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Ok good point, yes there are natural wonders in most countries. I just find it strange that you discount a country so quickly. To really appreciate a country you need to spend time there to understand the culture, different regions and the people. You jump to much to experience this. Im in my third year in Taiwan and I see something or go somewhere noteworthy everyday. Maybe its because Im curious and I love to develop a deep understanding of countries.

I make mid-forties and save 25,000K a year which includes international travel during summer, xmas, Chinese New Year and Spring Break. This puts me living on around a grand a month in Taiwan and I live nicely. Go out on the weekends and buy whatever I want. Housing is paid for dont really know about that cost. This is cheap to me. I'd say it has the same cost of Colombia.

As for world wide sex industries I really don't know much. It's here, but very deep underground. Like I said I live in a city of 2 million plus and I havent seen a sign of it, and Ive been all over this city.