Excess Baggage

vaellteacher

Excess Baggage

Post by vaellteacher »

Hi, my husband, child and I are headed over to China. I have searched on this forum and have found some info but wanted to know if there were more thoughts and ideas.
What is the best way to pack the excess bagagge? Rubbermaid box? Cardboard box, Luggage (soft or hard), duffel bags.
I know this will be a lot of money and I know we will get reimbursed but we are looking at 12-15 bags total for the three of us. At least 5 of these bags are school items for the two of us. I looked into maybe shipping by USPS our teaching items to the school. I noticed that in 2007 someone had posted something about M-Bags but I am not sure of the Post Office has them anymore - getting mixed signals when I search. SO I may not sure if I should do this and how long would it take to get to me.
In our bags I have clothes for all of us(I am overweight and my husband is very tall - thinking that clothes might be an issue since there is not a Lane Bryant near for me :? )My Caphalon pans, books and resources, shoes, towles and sheets along with the other things like medicines, toothpaste, batteries, deodrant, pop tarts and gummy bears, vitamins, etc. Things to start us on this new adventure as we adapt to the new culture. I noticed someone packed a knife and have thought about it but do not want to get stuck in customs witha weapon. I agree with that a shrap knife is a kitchen must. Iam also assuming that I can buy one in China.
Thank you for your help.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Your hubby will find clothes, but you won't. Shoes are more of a problem.

They sell pop tarts and other western conveniences in all the major cities in China. I wouldn't waste money on bringing stuff you will have there anyway.

I would look at buying genuine Chinese silk bedding in China. It's better than any of the rubbish you have.

Aside from clothes and what i need for work, the only things I would bring are the deodorant, medicine and vitamins. I would personally not bother with the medicine, but Americans in China seem insistent on their brands. I know my chemistry, so brands are never relevant to me.

I'm not from the states, so I don't know any company to help you. But it sounds that you are over packing.
vaellteacher

Post by vaellteacher »

Hi Mathman, thank you for your response.

Are the pop tarts and other western conviences very expensive?

I am pretty sure that I am overpacking and know that I will have to go through the bags again.

Have you ever used the excess baggage on international flights?

Thanks
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I've only been to mainland China twice, but I'm in Hong Kong and I think some things are similar. I also need larger sizes. I have only worn clothes and shoes from home. The sizes are ridiculously small and I have no desire to be shamed in the store or to pay higher prices for lower quality. You can also have things made-varying successes with this. It hasn't been that easy buying things that my kids like to wear, either. I did get some things from macys.com but I am convinced it came from a local factory-was not the store quality.

When I came, I packed lightly. Pretty much clothes/shoes, a few kids toys for comfort, and toiletries. No excess baggage. I bought a couple of large expandable duffle roller bags from Ross and they have been great. When I return after the summer I am going to pack lots of cereals and packaged goods. Almost none of my preferred brands are available here-deodorant, feminine products, toothpaste, medicines. Some things I can make adjustments and some I choose not to. I have never seen a Pop-tart in a store around here. There are a bunch of Western things that I can get here but they're ridiculously expensive-think $7 for cake mix that I can find on sale for $1.25 at home. Cereals and boxed mixes are the same. I have switched to more local products. Towels were easy to replace. I use the one set of sheets that I brought. Did not have problems buying a knife. I might bring my favorite pans for comfort but wouldn't have problems replacing them with others.

I think it takes a while to get adjusted to a new home and culture. Having some familiar things around for your family helps. I was very annoyed that I hadn't brought more the first few months until I was able to transition mentally. I was even having dreams that I went home to the store and I would wake up so disappointed.

Safe travels and have a great year.
vaellteacher

Post by vaellteacher »

Hi DC Girl, thank you for the reply.

I forgot about female products. Also will be on my list.

Is there one or a few things that you really wish you had brought and did not?

Thanks
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

In Beijing and shanghai things like pop tarts and cereals can be found at local chain supermarkets. If you go to more upmarket places, then you are basically guaranteed. Selection can be thin, but that's normal. I'm too skilled a cook to even notice all the premixed crap in the shops, so I'm not sure they are there. The expat community have their own businesses that produce cheeses, cakes, cereals, pies etc to our expectations. You just need to ask around.

I just remember that for clothes you can get them tailored. Just bring a friend to translate. Cheaper than the shops, and it fits. Bring pictures and they can copy. There are shoe makers, but they only deal with high quality shoes usually, so are expensive. But the quality is excellent. Worth the investment for a pair for life.
gccoach

RE: Excess Baggage

Post by gccoach »

I have tried excess baggage in the past and one thing to look into is if there is an embargo for the airlines. A few years ago as I was moving to a Caribbean country to teach I showed up with one extra bag and they would not take it because between May and August you are only allowed 2 bags, period. I sent one home with my parents and had them box up the items and mail them to me, and it turned out to be cheaper than the $150 extra bag fee.

I also agree with other comments that you seem to be overpacking. I am also headed to China and my plans are to pack very light. Two bags of clothes and little else. I have found that I can usually buy most things local and prefer to do that.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Baggage is personal preference but we have always traveled with rubbermaid tubs and been very happy with them. If you decide to go this way make sure you get the flexible sided ones and not the rigid side models, these may crack during transport. Drill holes in each corner and buy a supply of zip ties to secure the lids to the box.

You don't mention where in China you are going but if its one of the larger cities you can get most anything you want, both consumables and non consumables. As for clothing, you can get them made easily, tailored to fit your frame. My daughter is 6' + and she loves the fact we live in China because she can come and get her clothes made for her, and cheaply too. Of course you have to have patience but once you find a good tailor then you are off to the races.

The specialty food is found all over-Metro, Carrefour, Tesco and City Shop- are found in the major cities and they carry much of what you describe-plus other items that may replace what you are used to. The one exception we make is popcorn which we bring from home. Shoes are definitely something you want to bring with you, though you can have shoes made too-that sometimes requires an even extra dose of patience.

gccoach makes a good point about with regards to the embargo several years ago when the airlines weren't taking extra bags. You will want to confirm that you are allowed to bring that many extra bags with you.

Are you sure you want to bring 5 bags of school stuff? I am not questioning its value but that seems like a lot, will you take it with you when you move on? Having said that we usually end up with one bag per summer of school related stuff.

Good luck in your move, time is moving way to fast so make sure you enjoy your final weeks at home.
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

I have used excess baggage on overseas flights. It is worth calling the airline in advance. They do sometimes have limits on how many extra bags one can take, particularly if you will be on a smaller plane for a connecting flight. Sometimes, you can also reserve space for the extra bags. I have always just used regular suitcases/duffel bags for extra luggage. It gives me more luggage options once in country.

From my personal experience, it is not worth bringing much food initially. You don't know what is available yet and frankly, one can make do without special items of food far more easily than one can make do without medicine or clothing (although some people cannot live without coffee). Food is something that can be brought later, when you know what is locally available. But imagine turning up with kilograms of gummy bears, only to discover that they are locally available.

Personally, I would never move without my kitchen knives. You will not have any problems with knives in your luggage as long as you check your bags.

Is there no one at your school that you can contact who would give you suggestions on what to pack? I've always found this very useful.
vaellteacher

Post by vaellteacher »

Thanks all for your responses
I have asked many different people what they would bring. The school and other teachers coming into the city as well. I guess I am trying to get everyone's ideas and thoughts.

If you use the Rubber Maid items and use the plastic ties, what happens when authorities unclip it? Do they snap the lid back into place?

We do have a smaller flight until the bigger flight so I will call the airline and see if I can reserve stuff. Aslso rethinking my knives.

I guess I am nervous about leaving behind something I really wanted or that we really could have used and could not find. I realize that there are western food markets but from what I understand some of these things could be very expensive and I wanted to ease the culture shock that we MAY experience.

I am very excited for our family to move and can't wait to start this new adventure.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Leave the zip ties undone right up until you send the box down the conveyer belt and always carry a few extra. We have never had anyone want to look in the boxes.
GinaL

Post by GinaL »

I am also moving to China and wear plus size clothes. I called my airline (Delta) to check on luggage limits because I too have a small regional plane before my international flight. They said I can bring up to 10 bags (I am not - I am only bringing 5). I found myself mostly bringing clothes and personal items (pictures and a few frames, favorite cooking utensils, and my favorites items from CVS/Walgreens/Target).
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

You'll find that living overseas can be a cleansing of sorts. We're so glutenous and are often amazed at how so many other cultures can live with so few of the things that we live. So take my advice with a grain of salt if you believe differently.

We live in Japan and while we do get to shop on base for our American conveniences, we have found that we often don't. We order vitams, toothpaste and deodorant from vitacost.com. They pretty much have most of the brands that we're used too. Of course we also have an APO and you may not and I'm not sure if they'll ship to China. On the occasions that companies won't ship to us here in Japan we ship our products to our family, and friends and they ship it out to us. Vitacost.com is great! They even sell food products like cereals, chips, and other American goods that may be hard to find overseas.

Enjoy the journey of being an expat and do your best not to stress about everything. It is a lot different than living in the U.S. where you can get everything 24 hours at a WalMart and that's the point, to do something different.