Resume? CV? Colorful?

pencil

Resume? CV? Colorful?

Post by pencil »

I have been reading ALL forum entries, starting at November 2011 and coming forward to educate myself. I have also been collecting "stats" from SA (since March 2012) on how many "ART" jobs have shown up and there have been 27 total, which is encouraging to me. My personal stats are these:
• I'm single, no dependents
• I've taught Art for 11 years, 5th-12th grade
• I'm certified to teach Art, K-12
• I will be working with SA and may or may not go to a job fair
• I may or may not also attend the UNI fair

In regard to resumes/CVs, I've learned that if I attend a fair, I need to have a colorful/flashy/concise resume. Something that will catch a recruiter's attention. It's also a good idea to have a more professional looking resume and CV in case it is asked for, but as I understand it, hot pink versions and creatively concerted versions seem to be better at grabbing attention from recruiters.

My question is this...If I don't attend a fair and simply respond to SA's daily job postings and email my PDF materials to the individual schools, should I use the colorful/flashy versions of a cover letter and resume or just use the more traditionally-professional versions (non-colorful/flashy)?

I'm getting very excited to begin my search in a few months for a 2013-14 position.
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

No not really the flashy stuff only impresses recruiters when its really in person. Its a different environment.

First, understand when you email materials, they dont usually go to the principal/head they go to someone else first, and when those materials are printed they are done on regular black and white laser printers. Your 'colorful' resume looses a lot when that happens, and depending on color matching will likely look bad on your resume. For instances photos often look like big black splotches when they are printed this way.

Second you cant impart things like texture from paper etc in a digital document.

Third, at a fair your dealing with a smaller number of applicants and resumes. Usually a recruiter has really only a handful of people to sort through. when your getting electronic applications outside of a fair you get 100s even thousands of applications, and at that point all you are about is the important stuff in the resume not the design or flashiness.

This doesnt mean you cant take advantage of the digital medium. You can include things such as video,, audio and web links that you cant readily use in a paper application.
As an art teacher though you should have a digital portfolio available to send to a school either in a file or as a link, and you should have a CD version as well as a permanent portfolio available at a job fair. My advice is stick with the traditional resume for electronic submissions.

A member of this board (thanks to Ichiro) suggested that if you really want to make an impact at a particular school, you can send by fed-ex/DHL a full color application package to the school addressed to the head. Its a pretty good idea, but can get expensive.

You should look into possibly adding design technology into your resume, there were twice as many positions in design tech the last couple of years.
pencil

Post by pencil »

PGuy, thanks for the input and now another question. . .

I have many student project images available to make a digital portfolio. Great idea! Would it be best if that digital portfolio was created in PowerPoint? There are many web-based digital portfolios as well, such as carbonmade.com but if a web-based digital portfolio was made there would not be a way to burn it to a CD for distribution.

I think it was you that suggested putting everything together into one PDF file to attach when emailing schools. This PDF could include a cover letter and resume, but would it also be wise to include this digital portfolio (perhaps done in Word) so that the entire document could become one PDF file?

If schools are receiving hundreds of resumes, will they even take the time to click open a PowerPoint, insert a CD or watch a video?

Yes! I have it in my notes to send materials by FedEx. What ever happened to Ichiro? Her/his posts are deleted.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Ok first a question, do you have permission from these students to use their work in your portfolio?
I would be VERY clear in your presentation that this is 'student' work and not your own work. You dont want a recruiter thinking your passing off student work as your work. To that end I would focus more on YOUR art work and minimize (though not exclude) student work.

Powerpoint is dead. Sorry, its so old school, and by that i just mean old. iDVD is the 'standard' medium, and adobe flash based presentations are the state of the art. if you have do do powerpoint. Save it as a quicktime or flash encapsulated slideshow. It plays more like a movie that way.

I dont advocate everything in one pdf actually. That was another poster. My view and experience is that individually labeled files are better and easier to find. Partially because different schools ask for different things to be included in a packet. I have two sets my 'application' packet, and my supplementary packet. My supplementary packet has all my portfolio materials in it. The reason for this is that my supplementary packet is pretty big, and many email servers with school will choke on it and the email doesnt go through. So I keep the application packet small and basic. Cover letter, resume, photo. If they are interested they will request additional information (usually this is a school specific application) such as certification, transcripts, reference letters/contacts/passport cover, etc.
When you have a vacancy announcement, such as on TIE you should include whatever the announcement asks for, as you want to be seen as someone who can follow directions.

At a fair they will look at a website and pop in a CD/DVD if they are interviewing/have interviewed you. Electronic submissions they wont, not until your one of the final candidates anyway.

Its pure speculation, but i think Ichiro had some heat from his school.
pencil

Post by pencil »

PsyGuy, I took for granted that a school would be interested in my student's projects that I had overseen/taught. I did not think they would be interested in my own, personal artwork. I have my own website for that, so that's an easy link.

Thanks for the heads up re: iDVD. No problem.

Got it re: Application Packet.

If requested, do you send "Supplementary Packet" in the mail/FedEx? How do you send your certificate, transcripts, passport cover? Do you simply photograph each of those items to send digitally?

So at a fair, when the recruiters pop in a CD/DVD, they want to look at my own, personal images of art and not that of my students? I would have never thought that.

I appreciate all your suggestions. Thank you.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I have scans of all my supplemental documents (certificate, transcripts, etc). If. Was applying to a s hook by fed ex, I would send a cy of everything.

I think they would be minimally interested in your students art. What are you selling though how good a teacher you are or how good an artist your students are? If your pictures reelect you in the classroom, that's fine.
Recruiters in my opinion want to see what YOU can do. Is your students work a reflection of your students talent or your instruction? Personally when it c es to art, they aren't so much interested in the final product but the process and how you conduct a class. Showing how you structure a unit around a particular artist or medium, is far more a reflection on what you will add or bring to their school. They want to see you in the classroom, or some studio mock up or presentation of a finished piece.
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

[quote="pencil"]PsyGuy, I took for granted that a school would be interested in my student's projects that I had overseen/taught. I did not think they would be interested in my own, personal artwork. I have my own website for that, so that's an easy link.

So at a fair, when the recruiters pop in a CD/DVD, they want to look at my own, personal images of art and not that of my students? I would have never thought that.

I appreciate all your suggestions. Thank you.[/quote]

Interesting. I too would have thought recruiters would be more interested in work you've done with your students than your own work. You need to prove you're an excellent teacher, not just a great artist in your own time. I would definitely include work you've done with students, that's the point of your job, as a teacher.

You've already got a website that shows your own talent so in your portfolio I'd include evidence of what you've achieved with students. At least then you're covering both aspects.
anon

Cd DVD

Post by anon »

What exactly do people show in their DVD?
I teach Special Ed. and even in college classes that wanted video of students being assesed I opted out for my students and was given a pass.
This could become a creative project for me....
Thanks for any ideas....
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Work done WITH your students yes, thats teaching they want to see that. Your students piece, set with an artist card, in a studio or gallery setting no they dont. The reason is that they dont know what part of a students finished piece is "you" and what part is the students. I know I have students that have talents in certain mediums that exceed mine. So showing a finished piece outside the context of its process, doesnt tell me if your a good art teacher, it tells me at best that your student is a good artist. Is that because of you, or because of them?
They want to see video/photos of your students in a classroom setting showing a progression from start to finish. How does your skills and instruction make the student a better artist. How do you adjust for age and grade level? Do you integrate across the curriculum (Dioramas reflecting an english or history unit)? Can you do digital?
They want to see YOUR work because they want to know what your strengths and passion are. Are you a 2-D or 3-D artist? Pencil or Charcoal, Oil or Water, Ceramic or Wood? Smaller schools have smaller budgets, if the art department is primarily 2-D and your more a 3-D person, its going to be a difficult fit. If the school uses water or tempera and your an oil person, its going to be a hard fit.
Lastly, they want to know your not a fake, they want to see your class as a whole. They know, that your going to include your best students best pieces. They want to see what you can do with the students who just arent artistically talented, how do they grow?

Special Ed is harder, drama teachers can include a DVD of a production, music teachers a concert, literature a student made book, computers a program, etc.
For SPED, a video of you in a pull out and an inclusion class is probably going to be your strongest. You could focus an a particular student throughout their classes, and showcase your versatility with the student from art to science. When you have a SPED teacher in inclusion the biggest concern is do they have the background to enable a students development. In the younger grades such as primary its less an issue, but once you get to diploma or upper secondary an inclusion teacher in a chemistry class, who doesnt know anything about chemistry isnt going to maximize their impact on the students learning. I like to see teachers who are prepared, and informed when they head into one of those classes.
Aside from that though you have the same options as any other teacher. You can include photos or video of students art work, performances, or their poetry/prose, science experiments, social studies projects. The important part is showing the PROCESS of how YOU worked with the student to get them to the final result. Project work makes a bigger impact then things like test scores, or essays.
anon

Post by anon »

Hmmm....
Thanks for your reply. Good ideas....will take some pondering and creative photography...would be great to show parents and admin at my present school as well.
pencil

Post by pencil »

PsyGuy, thank you for your insight. Although I do think it is good to show some examples of student projects, if for no other reason than showing the breadth of creative lessons, I also agree that it is good to show "how" I excel at teaching, whether that is through video or having a colleague take photographs of me actually teaching in my classroom. I will totally get on this as soon as school starts this year!

Additionally, I've started collecting some recommendation letters from a variety of parents, those with super talented kids and those with average kids. I will have those letters to include with the "Supplemental Packet" that PsyGuy explains above.

Furthermore, I have just started a blog about my experience of teaching and within my blog I have my philosophy of education and some photo examples of student work. I also have my resume and references and a link to my personal artwork website. This, hopefully, will make it super easy for a school to "see" me and understand more about me. Blogs are a super easy way to "showcase" yourself. They are free (blogger.com or wordpress.com) and you can write articles, or posts, or simply include photos. For me, it has been an easy and inexpensive way to store all this information.
PsyGuy

Blogs

Post by PsyGuy »

I have mixed views on blogs. I suppose as long as they are always sterile, and reflect best practices, they cant be too bad, but you never know how someone (recruiter) is going to perceive your online image/identity.
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

I'd be careful with the blog. Schools can be funny about things put online and privacy. Jut something to be aware of.