What Countries Are Teaching Credentials Accepted From?

Parrot Head

What Countries Are Teaching Credentials Accepted From?

Post by Parrot Head »

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to break into the international school circuit. I didn't find a job for this year though, so I'll stay at my current school here in the U.S. and try again next year. I suspect that one of the reasons I didn't find a job is that I have two dependents- a trailing husband and a young child.

My husband and I have been talking about him trying to get a teaching credential so that we would be a more attractive hire.

The thing is that he isn't from America, and he didn't go to college in the U.S.; he has an accounting degree from a university in his country. One thing we had considered was moving to his country to be closer to his family, and while there he could go to school and get a teaching credential.

Will international schools accept degrees or teaching credentials from other countries? Or do they need to be from a western country?

Thanks!
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

Generally I'd say they'd want a recognised western teaching qualification. That's my experience. Can't he get a US teaching qualification? Or what about an online teaching qualification?

I've known Egyptians get a British PGCE in Egypt, this has then enabled them to get teaching jobs at the lower tier international schools in Egypt. None of them have yet tried to move on anywhere else.

Alternatively, you could go to an international school in his country. For now, continue applying for jobs, next years positions will start coming up from September, you may get lucky.
PsyGuy

Maybe

Post by PsyGuy »

You dont say what you teach, your expectations, or your resume is like. There could be many reasons you didnt any offers, but your family size does make you an expensive hire.

What country is your husband from?

Technically any countrys teaching qualfication that permits them to teach in the nations public school system is acceptable. In practical reality though, schools want recognized teaching qualifications from generally western countries: USA, UK, EU, Canada, Australia. They also want teachers who are native english speakers, and well look western.

Unless going back means going to one of those places, I dont see it happening. First, you didnt get a job offer, so what are you going to do if you go back to his country. You will be unemployed, and will he work to support your family, while getting a teaching credential?
He's really better getting a teaching certificate through an online program or a local college i the USA. Let the school/program determine if his degree is acceptable to them, and then get a US teaching qualification. There wont be any issue about his teaching qualifications then. You dont want to be worrying with each recruiter/school "will they accept your teaching certificate", the standard for a degree is much lower then the teaching qualification. He could easily get certified in a year.

Understand though that he will still have no experience in teaching, which wont make him very marketable, and seeing his background is in business, unless yours is primary, its going to be hard finding a school with vacancies for both of you. Usually the teaching couple scenario works best when one spouse has a high demand area like science/math and the other spouse has something like primary/elementary or ESL certification.
Parrot Head

Post by Parrot Head »

Thanks for the replies.

I know I've left out a lot of information about my husband and I's situation. That was intentional. I don't think I need to explain all the details of how we could afford to go to my husband's country for him to study. Also, I'm not complaining about not landing an international school job or asking about the other deficiencies in my resume. I understand that I have both strengths and weaknesses.

One of those weaknesses, which I'm addressing here, is that I have a trailing spouse and a dependent child, which makes me an expensive hire. If my husband can become a certified teacher we would become more attractive to schools. Plus, it would afford us a better lifestyle and savings abroad if we had two incomes. One of my strengths is that I that I teach a relatively in-demand subject in the sciences.

My husband hasn't shown too much interest in teaching a subject like business at the secondary level. He enjoys spending time with and teaching our young child to read, and has expressed interest in teaching at the elementary school level. However, his first language is not English, and while his spoken English is very good, his reading and writing skills are not as advanced. He would likely be able to successfully complete a teaching credential program here in the U.S., but we're worried that it might be very difficult; it would be easier if he could complete a program in his first language. He isn't from a western country, nor is he occidental in appearance.

Anyway, it seems that going back to his country to get a certification wouldn't really help our situation. We might look into a program here in the U.S. or an online program for him. Do you have any thoughts on that? Thanks again.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

First my apologies for any offense.

Based on your most recent post, I would advise against it. In this case your husband as a teaching couple is a bigger liability to you then him as a trailing spouse.
The basis of this conclusion is that as a teacher has to be able to play the part, and from a recruiters POV, they know have to pay 2 salaries for a science teacher, because they aren't going to want your husband. The reasons being:

1) He isn't interested in teaching his field, and a certified primary school teacher with no education background or experience who isnt a westerner, or native english speaker isn't someone they want in a primary classroom.

2) As you acknowledge his English skills are not great, that's a negative. Parents have an expectation when they are paying tuition that teachers are going to be westerners, and it's clear he isn't.

3) He really doesn't want to do the job. Based on what you wrote he sounds like a motivated father, but being a teacher isn't the same, or even close to being a parent. This isn't really something he wants to do, because if he did he would realize that being a teacher means being able to transfer your knowledge to others, his knowledge base is business, and if he isn't even interested in teaching something he has a background in, he isn't going to do better with something outside his skill set. He would be faking it in the classroom and recruiters are going to see his lack of passion in an interview

When I'm rating a teacher applicant this is what I see for your husband in business:

Certified
Bachelors level degree
Some professional experience???
No teaching experience, maybe 1 year as part of his internship

This is what I see for your husband in primary:

Certified
No degree
No experience
No teaching experience, because you have to get a job to do an internship, and those are hard to come by in primary. He would realistically only get certified through student teaching.

See the difference in those two, I'm not going to pay a salary for the second one, especially given his background, and lack of any real passion. Your in demand, but your just not worth it. To be a teaching couple, you actually need a couple of teachers, not one in name only and only on paper. That leaves you as a science teacher, with a trailing spouse and dependent, which puts you in the same situation you are now, which is better then the teaching couple scenario.
You are better off building your own resume, with a trailing spouse and dependent. At least that way the school only has to fly and house your family instead of supplying a second salary for a teacher they don't want, and honestly doesn't want to teach either.

I can't comment or advise a certification program without knowing your state. Generally, since you need to student teach or do an internship a local program is the best option. You can check with local colleges and universities, and do a search for alternative certification programs in your state. Since you have the time, an internship is better then student teaching, since you can count the year of experience as teaching experience.
If your not interested in teaching in the UK, an online PGCE is a viable option, since it is essentially all coursework, and doesn't require a field experience.
anon

Post by anon »

Hi,
All the best on your journey...
Perhaps have your husband's credentials evaluated:

World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Telephone: (212) 966-6311
Toll Free at 1-800-937-3895

There are other services as well. Then you will know where you stand on the credits needed to an American degree. I have helped a few of my (local) classroom assistants complete degrees... easier than you might think...
PsyGuy

Okay

Post by PsyGuy »

The OPs husband has a degree, he doesn't need to finish or complete it. The issue is which certification programs (traditional or alternative) would accept his degree. It's not even an issue of specific hours that need evaluation, only if his university degree is accredited. Any bachelors level degree can be used to peruse certification.
anon

Post by anon »

Hi,
Right in some cases.
In my experience though, foreign BA and BS degree credits fell short in the credit count. Therefore, more classes had to be taken to be awarded an American BA or BS equivalent.
Credits were awarded and applied to new U.S. college programs.

Foreign BA degrees were eqivalent to an Associates Degree and Masters were equivalent to a Bachelors.
PsyGuy

Not Relevant

Post by PsyGuy »

That wold be perfectly valid if the OPs husband was going back for another degree, but he's not. He's just looking for a post bachelors or ACP certification program. A university might care, maybe, but an ACP program isn't. If the university didn't recognize his degree as equivalent he'd just find a program that would.