Ameson American High School Program

dutchschultz

Ameson American High School Program

Post by dutchschultz »

I'm wondering if anyone has ever worked for this organization or has heard anything about them. I know it's not an international school but it is teaching AP classes to elite Chinese students. Any information would be appreciated.
upintheair

Post by upintheair »

I know some people that work in schools. "Elite" is a relative term--just remember that. You will end up teaching one AP-like classes-some students might pass--as well as English language classes (because that is where the demand is). You will be the only American teacher at your school. Private message me and I can tell you more.
dutchschultz

Post by dutchschultz »

I can't pm. If you feel comfortable providing more information on this site, thanks; if not, I understand. I've taught in Korea so I understand what to expect. Since I've worked in Asia I know to be weary of their claims, but I would consider it if I could get certain things met.
PsyGuy

PMs

Post by PsyGuy »

PMs are disabled on this board for security and safety issues.

My experience is that "elite" refers often to a families financial status, not the students academic ability.
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

Ooo! Ooo! Ameson, Ameson! I had the shadiest interview of my life with them last June. After a fifteen-minute Skype interview with someone who could barely speak English (I do not speak Chinese) they offered for me to teach "AP English" at Beijing High School #4--a position for which I was completely unqualified. There was some hazy mention of ESL classes on the side, which I'm sure would have turned out to be the core position.

Who are these fly-by-night retards?

How can NAIS justify putting their job listings on their site?

Anyway, here is some info they passed on to me during the hustle:

1. Gross Salary Tax rate Return

below ï¿¥4800 Tax free

Beyond ¥0 – 500 5% 0

Beyond ¥500 – 2000 10% 25

Beyond ¥2000 – 5000 15% 125

Beyond ¥5000,- or above 20% 375

according to the tax rate table, if your monthly gross salary is 15,000 RMB, your tax would be (15,000 - 4800)*20% - 375 = 1665 RMB

About working hours

Please notice we have adopted new contract. One of the changes is the working hours.

In the previous contract, we mentioned the teaching hours is 20 at most per week. But in the new contract, we use “five days a week, 7 hours per dayâ€
PsyGuy

Scam

Post by PsyGuy »

So basically a 35 hour a week ESL position for pocket change. What a scam.
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

Indeed, and crap wages by Chinese standards.
upintheair

Post by upintheair »

Ameson interviewed me and offered me a position teaching AP English/history--which is outside my current certification area (science/math). My bachelors in history was sufficient enough of a qualication for Ameson. Hunh?!?! Yet--they set me up to interview with a current employee--a math teacher--because that was what they wanted me to teach! A bait and switch? The employee said that his students were marginally competent in English and should not have been enrolled in AP courses--he had to really lower his expectations of his students. Housing is arranged by the school (not Ameson) and could be in the dorms. Some teachers have to commute long distances and to several schools to meet their contract hours. Think of them more as a headhunter company than a school organization. Bascially they place American teachers at domestic Chinese schools. Shady, shady, shady--but they do a great PR job.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

The tax calculation is wrong. You don't pay 20% on everything over 4800. You pay 5% for the first part over then 10% for the next part etc etc. Standard taxation calculation.

For ESL positions in China, I was under the impression that anything over 10k is good, since the supply of teachers is huge and plenty of Filipinos(yes I will sound racist here, but it's a fact) that will do the job for less.
PsyGuy

ESL

Post by PsyGuy »

Usually ESL wages start at around 5K RMB, 10K is good, the scale tops out at around 15K. With housing, and airfare you can do OK for a single person on 10K.
dutchschultz

Post by dutchschultz »

Thanks, lightstays and upintheair. Having lived in Asia I tend to be skeptical about things and you're information confirms what I was expecting.