Have been lurking, thought it was time to ask a ?

idntknw

Have been lurking, thought it was time to ask a ?

Post by idntknw »

Hello All,

Newbie here. I know it is asked a lot but what do you think my chances are to secure a position at an international school for the 2013-2014 school year?

About me:
- Certified Teacher (Texas) in Special Education EC-12, Generalist EC-6, Science 4-8
- One year teaching, 2012-2013 will be my 2nd year.

- I am a Special Education teacher in an Elementary School. I have two parts to my job. I teach resource classes and teach a pull out program. Most of my day is spent in 30 minute pull-out classes (Math and English, reading and writing) to support students who are below grade level but in the general education classroom. I work with students in K-5. I do not work with students with severe disabilities such as Down's Syndrome.

- I have a Bachelor's and Master's in Social Work. I worked for 6 years in social work with children and families. Five of those years were in London, UK.

Personal info:
- 34 years old, married for 10 years, 2 children (ages 4 and 18 months)
- My wife is a stay at home mom and will be at least until both kids are in full time school.

What I am looking for:
- A position in learning support (I think this may be the equivalent to special ed at many international schools and what I basically do at my school) or a general education classroom.
- We are willing to relocate anywhere except Western Europe or Saudi Arabia. Would prefer somewhere in Asia.
- To make a career out of international teaching and not just a one off two year job.

Does it help that we have lived overseas for an extended period of time? My family is fully supportive and wants to do this also.

Sorry about the length, I just wanted to anticipate some questions. I look forward to your responses and participating in this forum!
PsyGuy

Lurking

Post by PsyGuy »

Learning Support is pretty much the non american term for SPED (at least Special ed lite).
Since youve been lurking you probably know that 2 years is typically the minimum for an IT (international teacher), which you will have. Asia is a bigger market and there is more demand and its not a highly desirable region. The masters, and prior experience is nice.

Cutting right to the chase though, you are going to be a hard sell, for two reasons: 1)Your family size. Your basically 1 teacher and three dependents, that makes you an "expensive" hire. 2)The second tier schools dont generally do special ed, or dont do it very well. The schools that could afford you are going to be tier one schools and they like to see a little more experience, since you will basically be applying during the middle of your second year of recruiting. There are large parts of asia where SPED isnt done at all. Thats going to greatly reduce your marketability.

Your really going to need to be lucky.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

It may make more sense to look for a science teaching post.
PsyGuy

Maybe

Post by PsyGuy »

It may, but to really be marketable you would need to be qualified to teach high school level science mainly 8-12 grade, and not just science but chemistry and physics, and not just chemistry and physics but AP/A level/HL chemistry and physics. Can you do that? Do you have any teaching experience doing that? I ask because middle school only positions while there are some vacancies every year, they arent exactly in high demand, and you still dont have any experience teaching middle school science either.

On top of that you still have the "cost" issue, as your an expensive hire based on your family size, and limited experience.

Im not saying its not possible, and i hope im wrong, you seem like a dedicated and stable teacher. I just think your going to go to fairs and interviews and hear a lot of "were waiting" from recruiters, and what they are waiting for is someone cheaper, which compared to your minimum experience and qualifications wont exactly be difficult.
sid

Post by sid »

PG has pointed out quite correctly the challenges you face.
However, I still believe you can find a post, particularly if you wait another year or two so you have more experience. If you truly want to make a career out of this, then you can afford to wait, and you should be willing to start wherever someone is willing to hire you, knowing you can move up the ladder at your second international post.
In the meantime, prove yourself and take on challenges that will make your CV stand out.
Any chance that your spouse is interested in getting a teaching certificate over the next 1-2 years?
Good luck.
PsyGuy

Clarify?

Post by PsyGuy »

According to the OP wife is going to be a stay at home mom until both kids are in full time school, and since they have an 18 month old, thats going to be a while. By then the OP wont need a teaching couple as he will have 5+ years teaching SPED, in primary (and being a guy at that).

One of my rules is there is a job for anyone if you will accept anything. I think you could get a few offers, but I doubt they would be the offers you would accept, as the pay would be on the low side, and youd have to absorb some of your own costs most likely.

Of course waiting is the most viable advice, I just dont want you to get frustrated when your going to fairs, and interviewing and you start to wonder "Whats wrong with me? I teach SPED, I have a masters, 6 years social work experience, im fully certified, have teaching experience and good references. Why am I not getting the offers???" It will make you angry, and depressed, and you will start to think, that where you are is the best your goig to do, and your never going to get the opportunity that will allow you to jump the gap you need. Dont think that way, its not only un-useful, but wrong. The differences between IT candidates overall are very, very small and minor. Its not so much picking the right person really in a sea of hundreds of applicants but picking all the wrong people out, and hiring the person thats left. We personally rejected a candidate who during their Skype interview didnt tie their tie in a double windsor. Does that have anything to do with the quality of teacher they are, not a bit, but when you have a group of people who really are for all professional purposes equal, and you can only pick one person, you have to make a decision on some criteria, even if it has nothing to do with the job.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I think that you're going to have to really work for it but it is attainable. I like the term that PsyGuy uses "Special Ed Lite" to describe learning support positions. I definitely would go to the Search fairs (prob Cambridge)- not any of the smaller ones. You'll probably have to go to Asia or the Middle East to afford supporting a family with only 2 years teaching experience on the salary scales. Some schools will recognize your Masters degree.

The 3 dependents is going to be a challenge. That wouldn't stop you from being hired at my school (check out ESF schools in Hong Kong) but the minimal teaching experience probably wouldn't make you a prime candidate. Also be prepared to be work inside of a classroom/co-teach instead of resource or pull-out.

I think that being a male in a female-dominated field may be your ticket. Someone will probably want to round out their department and with your cetifications, other jobs and overseas experiences, you may get lucky.

You may also want to look into getting ESL or talented and gifted certifications/experience if you want to be in learning support. Good luck
idntknw

Post by idntknw »

Thank you everyone for your replies so far. I think I may try to register with Search, as the registration is good for three years. I know it will be tough but I know I will be an asset when I get the opportunity. Thanks again and any further thoughts are appreciated.
StereoTyped

Post by StereoTyped »

Don't be discouraged. One of the things my husband and I have going for us is that we are both teachers with no kids (and we both have quite good teachable subject areas)... but at the same time we're also both young and do not have much experience - no IB experience whatsoever. Yet, we managed to get offers at a decent international school for our first posting just by being persistent. We didn't even attend any fairs or sign up with a recruiting agency. We e-mailed every single school we were interested in and applied to all of those that had online application systems. We preferred Asia as well but weren't picky. We had about 3 or 4 opportunities arise just by doing this, but decided to interview for only one. Fairs are probably a harder sell because there are often so many qualified candidates gathered together in one spot, but we contacted a few schools at just the right time, apparently, and that worked out in our favour despite not being the MOST marketable due to our relative inexperience.
So don't give up!
PsyGuy

Further

Post by PsyGuy »

ESL and G&T couldn't hurt, though a primary school certification, since your SPED is working with primary school students would be far more valuable, and you have relevant experience, though minimal with primary. If you could, getting PYP experience would be VERY bennificial for you.

What you know of as SPED isn't like anything you will find in an IS, most of the cases are mild learning disabilities, such as Dyslexia (which seems to be the magic DX) most of the time. Just about every SPED. Student I've had or worked with was pretty indistinguishable from the norm. Either that or they had a mild behavioral issue.

I can't take credit for "special ed lite" worldtraveler came up with it in some conversations a while ago.