Conditional Offers

sid

Post by sid »

It's an interesting theory that schools buy flights through some corporate mechanism that means they won't lose out if the teacher doesn't fly.

Interesting, possibly true for some, but definitely not true as a rule. I've never actually encountered it. In my current school, it's nowhere near true. While we can often, for reasonable fees, make itinerary changes and cancel flights with reasonable notice, no-shows are complete losses. And even in schools which have access to such arrangements, airlines often have small print that says the no-show ticket can only be re-booked as the exact same itinerary (Cleveland to Moscow, no change in starting or ending point) with a change in dates, and the new dates have to be within 12 months of the date of purchase of the first ticket, not the date of intended travel. And if Mr. Cleveland didn't turn up in the first place, what's the chance the school is going to need a Cleveland - Moscow ticket in the next 10 or so months?

I really don't agree that the reimbursement route is for lesser schools. I've seen both methods in a variety of schools from bad to great.

Some schools are so small that they would never qualify for a corporate account/rate with any real perks anyway. And the cost of a single no-show would be a big budget issue for them.

Other schools are so large that a single lost ticket would be a drop in the bucket, pretty much never even noticed. Those schools are the ones that might (MIGHT) qualify for corporate perks, but if they're big enough for that, they're also big enough for corporate-style policies that the school will not put out cash or its equivalent until after the teacher reports for duty. And I sympathize.

Check the latest TIE, page 23. Keith Boniface himself, international teacher extraordinaire, of much fame and highly respected, came close to using his first school-provided ticket as a free ride to a vacation in Europe. He didn't, and many good things resulted. But how tempting, for some...
Fortesias

Post by Fortesias »

To Higgsboson and those that accept multiple offers. I am very new to this and just accepted my first job. Don't you have to pay search fees though if you accept multiple jobs and then decline later? Or do you just apply own without search? I'm not judging, just confused because I thought the fee to pull out of the contract was very expensive.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

I've been finding jobs on my own for years now but I did once get a job through search and did a runner over christmas. Search threw a hissy fit but I think search would probably represent me again. They just want the money. I really don't need them though.
Fortesias

Post by Fortesias »

Thanks!
SAS

Post by SAS »

My hook has both choices for air fare. They will buy a ticket, with no input from me as to airlines, etc or they will reimburse up to the allotted amount. I chose reimbursement so ican chose my airline and times.

I know people at this school, we have mutual friends. The school has been completely above board and honest in their dealings with staff.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@SAS

There is a significant difference between having the OPTION for upfront airfare or reimbursement vs. reimbursement only. The choice is all the difference.

@Fortesias

It really depends on what your future needs are. So if you break contract, pull a runner, etc the agency requires that you pay the placement fee. So for Search its $1500, which if your moving up to a better job is worth (or should be worth) the cost. They also say they wont represent you in the future, which isnt an incentive to pay them the fee. The reality is that agencies really only care about the money. After 2 years at your better school your going to eb more marketable and if they can place you, they will represent you, because otherwise they are just walking away from money.

@sid

Its not a theory. Even small modest schools can purchase (for very low costs) insurance for the flight to insure against no shows. When cancelled the value of the ticket goes into a pool to be used against future travel. the restrictions it be between the same two points of travel typically do not apply for corporate/organizational purchases. If your not getting these options you need a better travel agent or a new corprate travel partner.

This si how small organizations/companies take advantage of "larger" corporate travel accounts, they join a co-op organization that combines many smaller organizations and companies to qualify for large corporate travel travel programs.
Fortesias

Post by Fortesias »

Good to know. Thanks Psyguy!
sid

Post by sid »

PG, I still don't agree with your view. Insurance is not the same as a corporate perk, and it tends to be riddled with worse small print than refundable tickets. Many larger schools would consider themselves 'self-insured' in this area - the total cost of insurance for all their tickets would be more than the cost of the small number of tickets they need reimbursement on, so they don't buy insurance. My school's cancellation rate (for all travel, including incoming teachers and conferences and student trips for sport and learning) is less than 1%. Travel insurance is usually a better deal for individuals and small companies, for whom a single loss would be unlikely but a major issue.
But that's not really the point. My point is, you can't tell a bad school from a good school based on whether they buy a ticket up front or reimburse you after you arrive.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@sid

Yes Sid i can tell. Would you buy a cruise or vacation from a travel agency that ONLY accepted western union or wire transfer for payment? if you opened a travel agency would your payment policies accept only wire transfers or western union?

Most people wouldnt because that type of practice is strongly indicative of a bad agency and a serious risk. When schools implement the practices of bad/poor schools either they have some serious decision making issues or they have financial problems, both are indicative of bad schools. The reason being that so many BAD schools find/invent someway to keep from paying some portion of the reimbursement.

Simply put GOOD business's dont pass the costs and burdens of operating expenses onto their employees. What company would send an employee to an expat post overseas and say 'Oh you have to pay your airfare upfront and we will reimburse you"? Miscrosoft, GE, Apple, Toyoda, Volkswagen, Pepsi, etc? None of them, not one. Why should a school be any different.

I understand your an admin, and there would be a strong incentive for school administrators to change the expectation of ITs in thinking that reimbursement is the standard and acceptable practice.
sid

Post by sid »

No, Apple would not SEND an existing employee to an overseas post and expect them to pay their own way. But Apple would very probably tell a new employee, who had applied to work in the Singapore branch, that it was their responsibility to get to Singapore in the first place.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

That is rubbish Sid. Apple will absorb you into one of their more local offices first to determine your worth. They have no reason to offer new hires anything extra, unless they are recruiting a senior member from a competitor.

Multinationals will not offer new hires expat packages unless they are elite in the first place, either professionally or genetically.
mbovi

Re: If only I were still teaching Greek tragedy...

Post by mbovi »

[quote="Walter"]This would be a perfect example of hubris:

"At worst I need to re-evaluate this tier 1 school, maybe its slipping."[/quote]

I just roll my eyes and laugh at whatever LieGuy writes on here. Like the Tier 1 school CARES if some unemployed, old educator ( with a very strong possibility of a mental disorder ) evaluate and determine their worth to the public.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sid

If they are applying to work then they arent an employee yet. That is the difference between an applicant and an employee. Just as Apple would require an applicant to get themselves to Singapore to apply for the position, and IS in Sinagpore could just as easily do the same. The difference is that once hired and an employee, Apple would fly the employee to Singapore to take up post there. An IS should do the same thing.
Singablesong

Post by Singablesong »

Thank you, everybody,

I am in my new school (the first one), quite unhappy, because I ruined my chances with another school, which offered much better conditions. All I wanted is to be honest and fair.

I should have been smarter and questioned things more.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Singablesong said [quote]I am in my new school (the first one), quite unhappy, because I ruined my chances with another school, which offered much better conditions. All I wanted is to be honest and fair. [/quote]

Why didn't you just accept the position at the other school where you might have been happier and therefore a better hire for them? You haven't done anyone any favors by being a sad teacher at the first school, least of all your own self.

Maybe its not too late!
Contact the second school, tell them something came up and you are available. See if they might still offer you the contract.