Please name some rural/remote schools worth looking into

higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Heyteach - that's a great site.
The pay seems high - higher than I would have thought.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I was making good money for many years; with rent for a two-bedroom apt. going for $130, I was literally saving half my income. Now I make less!
MAtwater

Post by MAtwater »

Heyteach, it sounds like you've had an interesting career.....I wish we could go for coffee and chat! I have been working with the assumption that now (I'm in my mid-40s) is the time to get out and explore, and that later I would go back to finish my career in the US, but I wonder what you think about an older teacher managing on a reservation. If it matters, all of my US experience (8 yrs) was in high-poverty schools, and I've had some experience with indigenous cultures. I've also read (and met) educators finishing their careers abroad, but they seem to have retirement funding well in hand. I have some retirement savings, but it's not enough at this point (if I do nothing, I could retire at 73 with a $24,000/yr salary, but mind you what will $24K be worth in the year 2035?).
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

MAtwater, I had wanted for many years to work overseas, following in the footsteps of colleagues who went into DODDS or whatever they call it now. But I was just too comfortable on the rez to want to leave; it really was a dream job for many years. After I left I decided to let my dog live out her life and then take the plunge. I've enjoyed my time abroad, but those years on the rez are very strong memories (which I share at every opportunity--my friends are very tolerant of all my stories).

The thing is, to keep from thinking of yourself as the Great White Hope. It can be exasperating to the extreme. The substance abuse/suicides/violent deaths can get to you if you're not careful. And most people cannot imagine that that kind of poverty exists in the U.S. As I said above, it's more third-world than most places I've visited.
indogal

Post by indogal »

I know there i an international school on the island of Boracay in The Philippines. I think it is very small & only goes up to middle school. The pay is not great, but it is remote & the setting is beautiful. http://www.boracayinternationalschool.org/
Dunany

Post by Dunany »

I have visited Boracay, and it is a little challenging to get to.... but it is very, very touristy. I find it fascinating that there is an international school there!
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Could look into PREM IS near Chiang Mai, Thailand. Pretty remote and also an IB training center.
MAtwater

Post by MAtwater »

Seinfeld, Prem looks interesting. Did you teach there? I'd like to hear more. Where do they recruit?

I'm really pleased to learn of new schools (to me!) on this thread--I didn't know these existed. And if you are reading this and holding back, please post a school, even if you don't think it's quite remote or quite rural.
PsyGuy

Correction

Post by PsyGuy »

The IBO have no "training centers" operated outside of schools. While inhouse training is done at its regional offices through it HR and other departments, these arent training centers external teachers, etc can participate in. PREM is otherwise an IB world school.
Dunany

Post by Dunany »

I will be moving to the little Tanzanian town of Moshi this year. The school is the International School of Moshi (IB) and is located on the slopes of Kilimangaro. Quite remote and quite spectacular. I also have worked at the American school in Gaza, a whole other kind of remote.
MAtwater

Post by MAtwater »

Moshi! Another interesting place for the list. Thanks! And congratulations...it'll be interesting to hear more when you have African dust on your boots Dunany.
Dunany

Post by Dunany »

MaTwater,

Have lived in the M.E. for 9 years....lets just say I have dust plugging up every orifice!.....TMI , I know
MAtwater

Post by MAtwater »

Snort! You owe me a keyboard.
teachit

Post by teachit »

MATwater if you want to really get off the beaten path and money is not really the most important part of your journey, how about the country of Bhutan? The Bhutan Canada Foundation is recruiting qualified teachers to work in public schools in small towns and villages in rural Bhutan.

I saw the advertisement and thought it would be an incredible experience. The country has the world's highest happiness index and looks like a truly unique experience.
PsyGuy

Uhm Yeah

Post by PsyGuy »

Interesting, too bad it only pays $450 USD a month, with no airfare, medical, or housing allowance provided. Honestly, this is more a volunteer position with a stipend, then a job.