My Best Friend's Wedding

PsyGuy

Not Really

Post by PsyGuy »

"Policy" is the excuse admins use when they want to/need to say no, without being the bad guy.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Dear psychris,

For your sake I hope that you will be working in a school where policies determine decisions as opposed to whether your Head of School is having a good or bad day. Obviously you are free to choose regarding the advice you follow. Good luck with it all and let us know how you get on.
PsyGuy

Sad

Post by PsyGuy »

To suggest that a schools organizational behavior is just an application of its policies is naive and disingenuous. If leadership was as simple as following the rule book, we wouldnt need administrators. Policy should guide decisions not dictate them.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

PsyGuy...seek the help...
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

At my daughter's last birthday we set up a laptop and had my parents at the . using Skype. We gave them a chair at the table and everyone could interact with them. Obviously, we couldn't give them cake!
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

My own personal opinion, I would tell school director straight away. Start your contract off on a truthful and honest way. They will HATE it if you lump this upon them closer to the time.
psychris

Post by psychris »

I just emailed my principal about it. I feel like my new school should have a pretty cut and dry policy regarding this sort of matter. It's a decent school and my administrators seem understanding, so I'm expecting them to be honest when it comes to their expectations of me in my first month of employment.

Any answer will make things less stressful at this point.
PsyGuy

good luck

Post by PsyGuy »

Will keep my fingers crossed for you.
psychris

Post by psychris »

Well PsyGuy, the finger crossing must have worked. My principal responded and said I am allowed to take up to three days unpaid leave to attend weddings. I wish I was getting paid, but I'll get over it.
PsyGuy

Yeah

Post by PsyGuy »

Well yeah id like to get paid for not having to show up for work too (actually we do here), but this is China.
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

Good news psychris, now you can start looking for a cheap flight.

Re. the policy thing, it's always stated in my contract rules about time off. I was offered a job at an American school which gave a couple of paid personal days but I've not come across this in British schools.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Dear psychris,

Congratulations! I guess your school's 'application of its policies' is neither 'naive' nor 'disingenuous' but actually good sense. Enjoy the wedding and your new job.
PsyGuy

Or

Post by PsyGuy »

Or he just got lucky that the policy happened to be written in his favor.... this time. We also dont know what the principal is thinking. He might be thinking "Well that was considerate of Chris to ask so early, that shows great planing and courage on his part". They also might be thinking "Gee hes not even here yet, the contracts barely dry, and hes asking for time off already".

Postal Script;

Glad the fingers helped though.