International School of Moshi

Dunany

Post by Dunany »

I have an interview with them today. Does anyone have direct experience with the school?
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

Psyguy, I guess you'll have to save this post for those who say you claim to know everything!!!
PsyGuy

Not really

Post by PsyGuy »

They would say i was making it up and really knew all along. You can argue with fanatics, and naysayers but you can never win by their point of view.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

A little factoid even PG didn't know: Greg Mortenson's (Three Cups of Tea) mother headed the school when it was founded.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

Interesting that you mention PG and Greg Mortenson in the same post, as people believe they both makes things up.
Tundra_Creature

Re: Really

Post by Tundra_Creature »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Theres an international school of moshi? Like the rice gummie candy things from Japan?[/quote]

Isn't that Mochi?
Dunany

Post by Dunany »

Ok.....now does anyone have any experience with the International School of Moshi? Thanks
BocaJrs

Post by BocaJrs »

LOL... off track much people? :)

I felt bad for the lack of any useful info, at least relevant to your question (I actually did find the other tidbits interesting), and dug up this blog by a student teacher who was there a couple of months ago. Not a whole lot there but you might get a general feel of the school from it.

BTW, looking through pics of Tanzania and Kilimanjaro really made me want to travel there. It's beautiful...

http://hmmiller.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/
Dunany

Post by Dunany »

Thanks so much BocaJrs, that was very useful. It really is a beautiful place.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="Dunany"]Thanks so much BocaJrs, that was very useful. It really is a beautiful place.[/quote]

All I know is that the former head of ASIJ (who is now at JIS) used to be at Moshi and it certainly hasnt done his career any harm.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

The secondary school has a very good reputation. Eanna (who is probably interviewing you) is a good and friendly guy to interview with.

He asks some tough questions about who you work well with, it seems like the guy that runs the moshi campus can be difficult for certain personalities.
Life Is Good

Post by Life Is Good »

I teach at IST in Dar es Salaam and only know a few things by reputation. Hope I can help. First off, Moshi is small, but beautiful. You're at the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro with beautiful weather, surrounded by coffee plantations, and Masai country beyond that. Lots of (expensive) safari parks nearby known as the "northern circuit" including Serengeti, Tarangeri, Lake Manyara. You're backyard is the place where people take their "trip of a lifetime".

The school itself seems to have a mixed reputation. The biggest problem I hear is in regards to their financial problems. They apparently haven't been making a profit in quite a few years, and I would ask about budget and program cuts and enrollment numbers.

Living in Tanzania has its frustrations and one really needs to have a relaxed attitude about the dysfunction here. If you need comfort and consistency I wouldn't recommend Africa. If you're up for an adventure and willing to take things as they come, why not?
Life Is Good

Post by Life Is Good »

I teach at IST in Dar es Salaam and only know a few things by reputation. Hope I can help. First off, Moshi is small, but beautiful. You're at the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro with beautiful weather, surrounded by coffee plantations, and Masai country beyond that. Lots of (expensive) safari parks nearby known as the "northern circuit" including Serengeti, Tarangeri, Lake Manyara. You're backyard is the place where people take their "trip of a lifetime".

The school itself seems to have a mixed reputation. The biggest problem I hear is in regards to their financial problems. They apparently haven't been making a profit in quite a few years, and I would ask about budget and program cuts and enrollment numbers.

Living in Tanzania has its frustrations and one really needs to have a relaxed attitude about the dysfunction here. If you need comfort and consistency I wouldn't recommend Africa. If you're up for an adventure and willing to take things as they come, why not?
Dunany

Post by Dunany »

Thanks for the info. I heard the same thing about money problems, but have accepted the job and am really looking forward to it after having lived in the M.E. for 9 years.