**book published by International Teacher

Post by Merlin the Wizard »

I happened to come across
a new book written by an international teacher
on Amazon.com.
It seems to talk about alot of the issues/drama
that international educators go through (good and bad !!). :P
Has anyone else read this book :?:

The title is :'Instigating Profligacy : Aviva and Aisha's Adventures in the World'

One reader wrote this review:.

......."The main characters in this novel are Americans who teach overseas, changing countries every year or two. In part one, Aviva teaches second grade at an international elementary school in Cairo, Egypt, and Aisha teaches EFL at another shcool in Cairo. In part 2, Aviva teaches EFL in a public elementary school in Tel Aviv, Israel, while Aisha teaches second grade at an international school in Abu Dhabi, UAE. In part 3, they both teach EFL in a private after-school academy in Sokcho, South Korea.

This is a fictional comedy, but as an international teacher myself, I can tell you that the good points (free apartments, travel deals to other places in the region, being paid to explore a new country, learning new languages) and not so good points (abusive school directors, culture shock, having no one to report child abuse to) were accurately portrayed as the author is an international educator as well.

Beyond being able to relate to the two main characters, I enjoyed their conversations so much. They are very real.

I give this book five stars for entertainment value, making me laugh out loud, originality, quirky characters, fantastic dialogue, and because I could relate to it. "

Hmmm the book seems like it would be fun to read....Has anybody else read it ? Thanks.
carlflanders

BOOKS ON TEACHING OVERSEAS

Post by carlflanders »

[size=18][/size]
Dear Merlin,
Have not read the book you referenced. If you are looking for a great source of info on overseas teaching I would recommend Kelly Blackwell's online book. I cannot recall the title, however the website is something like teachingoverseasinfo.com. Google it. The cost is about $36, well worth it if you have not taught abroad or have only served one stint.
Sincerely, Carl & Tiff
kimbop

Instigating Profligacy: Aviva and Aisha's Adventures...

Post by kimbop »

I read that book last spring, after finding it in a used bookstore in Seoul. I picked it up because I liked the cover, bought it because from the back cover, it seemed to be a novel about international teaching, and it wasn't until I got it home that I noticed that the author had lived in Korea too. How cool is that? Anyway, I thought it was a great read, and I especially related to the chapters that were set in Korea and Egypt since I have taught in both of those places. Fortunately though, my experiences in Korea have been much better than the characters had in the book. But the school they were at in Egypt - that sounded ALOT like the school I was at! I wonder if it was.