ACS Doha?

chocolatefrog

ACS Doha?

Post by chocolatefrog »

No review on ISR, and seemingly no mention on forum. Anyone worked there or have some good insights into this place (besides the ubiquitous psyguy)? They seem to have a lot ov vacancies to fill. Thank you!
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

They have a lot of vacancies because they have a lot of turnover, in all fairness its not a horrible school, its just after 2 years teachers want to move on the a better school and region.
In international teaching the majority of teachers are working their way to either western europe or Japan/Hong Kong.
IAMBOG

Re: Well

Post by IAMBOG »

[quote="PsyGuy"]They have a lot of vacancies because they have a lot of turnover, in all fairness its not a horrible school, its just after 2 years teachers want to move on the a better school and region.
In international teaching the majority of teachers are working their way to either western europe or Japan/Hong Kong.[/quote]

Really? I'm not and most of my colleagues aren't. I would say most want to end up in Southeast Asia. I don't think many are working towards Europe, where they would likely end up in the same financial situation they were in North America. Mind you, Eastern Europe is somewhat appealing.

Out of interest, have you been to Doha, PsyGuy?
PsyGuy

Cant agree

Post by PsyGuy »

Sorry that just isnt my experiences. Many teachers Ive talked withas they get closer to retirement want to be in a country that there going to have a pension, and free medical care, and in a country that offers western conveniences. You have to find that school sometime by your late 40's before your too old to hire somewhere else. Asia is for banking money and having fun.
chocolatefrog

Post by chocolatefrog »

Western Europe, eh? No thanks. I am in Southeast Asia now, and the vast majority of my colleagues wouldn't even consider Europe because it's so expensive, myself included. Many of them are 50+ and have been working in international schools for many years, with no thought of heading to Europe at all. I would guess psyguy, that Europe is native home for you, probably Northern Europe, so maybe you are understandably a little biased? :wink: Too cold for me, I'm afraid, but I am a cold weather wimp... 8)

Oh, and late 40's ain't too old, by a long shot. We have several staff members at my school who are in their late 50's and beyond, moving to very nice schools this year, thank you very much. Seems their experience is still valuable in the international circuit, especially in senior positions.

So, back to the question... anyone know anything specific about this place? Anyone actually worked there or up the road? I am looking for a positive change, as SE Asia might be the place to be to earn money, but money is not what I went into teaching for. If I wanted to be rich, I would have stayed in professional singing. :D
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I'm 45 and not feeling it for western Europe
sdak

Post by sdak »

The school has only been open from Sept. of 2011 - so how could anyone have been fed up after working there for 2 years? Really.

Its enrollment has skyrocketed. Hence the additional teachers.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

PsyGuy said: "They have a lot of vacancies because they have a lot of turnover, in all fairness its not a horrible school, its just after 2 years teachers want to move on the a better school and region.
In international teaching the majority of teachers are working their way to either western europe or Japan/Hong Kong."

Sdak said: "The school has only been open from Sept. of 2011 - so how could anyone have been fed up after working there for 2 years? Really. Its enrollment has skyrocketed. Hence the additional teachers."

That's hilarious. Keep 'em coming PsyGuy. You should do stand up.
Mike

Post by Mike »

All the better international schools are filling up here. At ASD we have a waiting list a mile long!!! I have heard good things from this new school.

If we get the 2020 Olympics... oh wow!!!

As far as Doha is concerned we love it here. Great house! Tons of sporting events! Our kids are so busy and happy! We just got back from safari in Kenya!

Should save 50k this year.....

If you are married with kids this is a great place!!

I wouldn't put too much stock in some guy who lived in Caro for a few weeks....
Dunany

ACS

Post by Dunany »

I work at ACS Doha and this is the FIRST year of operation. Turnover is very low, there are many jobs listed because as stated in another post the school is expanding. The pay is not great, but the school is a pleasant place to work.
Dunany

ACS

Post by Dunany »

Psyguy, please speak not of what you know not of....there may be real consequences for people.
PsyGuy

Comments

Post by PsyGuy »

It doesnt take anywhere near two years to be unhappy, unsatisfied, with a school. It can happen pretty quickly. I know bad when i see it, and dont need to "suffer though it to make sure.

I can see how youd be right about being happy with SE asia. We come from different perspectives, and probably know different people. You are right in respect that while i know people all over the globe over the years, most of the first responses I usually get are from local teachers at my school. Though the ones that are leaving every single one is staying in europe (germany, sweden, denmark, UK), not a single one is heading to Asia, and I do know a number of teachers that would like to move from asia to europe.
julkes

Post by julkes »

[quote="Mike"]

I wouldn't put too much stock in some guy who lived in Caro for a few weeks....[/quote]

Amen
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

@PsyGuy

Quote..."They have a lot of vacancies because they have a lot of turnover, in all fairness its not a horrible school, its just after 2 years teachers want to move on to a better school and region."

This is exactly the 'lack of respect' (referred to on other threads) that I have an issue with. A lack of respect for the school in question, the region and your fellow professionals. You do us all a disservice by attempting to give advice about something that you clearly do not have correct information about.

Honestly PsyGuy...there is nothing wrong with not knowing everything about everything. Please don't do it.
Last edited by lifeisnotsobad on Fri May 04, 2012 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

It was 6 weeks, and bad is bad.