International School Ho Chi Minh City

SKMNVMAH

International School Ho Chi Minh City

Post by SKMNVMAH »

Hearing rumors that the HOS left and that school is changing curriculum. Does anyone know anything? The how and why? Does changing curriculum effect your accreditation?
PsyGuy

Rumor

Post by PsyGuy »

I heard head was leaving as well (though i might of heard it on here).

Changing your curriculum can change your accreditation, but doesnt have too, specifically in school where the accrediting body doesnt also supply the curriculum.

ISHCMC has three primary accreditations: IB (World School), NEASC (an american regional authority) and CIS. Changing curriculum would have little effect on the CIS and NEASC accreditation. CIS doesnt prescribe curriculum and NEASC only mandates curriculum objectives.

The IB is a different story, starting in 2012 academic year the new MYP program will be a prescribed curriculum, so essentially if you dump the IB curriculum, your pretty much dumping the IB and the Diploma program. There isnt a whole lot of reason for a primary/secondary school to be an IB school if your students cant get the International Baccalaureate diploma (some primary schools do use the PYP program).
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Oh dear...PsyGuy is spreading misinformation once again. Not too sure where you got the information that the MYP is to be a prescribed curriculum, or even understand exactly what you mean by this.

Are you trying to say that any school offering the IB Diploma will have to offer the MYP in 2012 and beyond?

Or are you trying to say that within the remaining 8 weeks of the school year the IB will have a complete change of philosophy regarding the MYP and that they will be releasing a curriculum that all MYP schools will have to teach next year?

Either version is clearly ridiculous. It must getting late in San Antonio...
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Head was fired and will be leaving the country shortly (he isn't even allowed on campus again).

Acting head has announced introduction of MAP testing for next year. So, curriculum will have to be more prescribed. The school didn't have a written curriculum anyway.

Teachers at the school wary of more changes on the horizon. Consensus is that COGNITA (the company that took over the school about a year ago) is evil.

Psyguy's comments about MYP are ridiculous.
SKMNVMAH

Post by SKMNVMAH »

Cal--There was talk that they were switching to an more American curriculum. Is this true? Why? How do the teachers all feel?
PsyGuy

Not really

Post by PsyGuy »

Im nowhere near san antonio, but keep thinking that.

The MYP isnt so much being restructured, as its getting an addition of a more detailed curriculum guide and objectives, its not new and has been known for a while.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Psyguy your previous comment was "starting in 2012 academic year the new MYP program will be a prescribed curriculum". You now seem to be backtracking somewhat...
PsyGuy

How

Post by PsyGuy »

I should clarify, by 2012 academic year I mean the 2012/2013 academic year that starts this coming August.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Are we going to get an explanation of what you thought you meant by a "prescribed curriculum" or should we just let that slide?
SKMNVMAH

Post by SKMNVMAH »

Do we have to let PsyGuy hijack another thread. Can we please stick to the orginal question and if you have any factual information please pass it on?
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Many apologies SKMNVMAH. You are completely right!
PsyGuy

I agree

Post by PsyGuy »

I didnt want to get off topic from your post, my apologies.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

MAP testing doesn't have to affect the curriculum being taught in any way. We use it as merely a guide to see what stage our students are at in their comprehension of math, language, and reading.
BobbyBamboo

Post by BobbyBamboo »

Just got an email today from a recruitment agent saying this school is looking for multiple teachers for the primary school for the next academic year. Hmmmm....
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

The new MYP curriculum starts in 2014. It will not be a prescribed curriculum, in the way the DP is. There will be changes to the current format, but content will still be left up to the individual schools.