Thailand: Drug testing international school teachers

nicky2012

Thailand: Drug testing international school teachers

Post by nicky2012 »

Hi all,
at my international school here in Thailand we were recently hit with a drug test, one of the nearby IS got ambushed at 7:30 in the morning by the Thai government.
As a consequence we have now lost several staff members because they failed and the Thai education board has apparently dictated that people who fail must be gotten rid of.
Has this happened at other schools too? I knew they were testing teachers in Thai government schools.

So that's also a heads up for anybody coming here next school year, no more pot after June!
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Knowing Thailand, this is nothing that can't be fixed by an unmarked envelope exchanging hands between a well connected Thai at your school and one of Bangkok's finest. And this latest 'crackdown' will all be forgotten as soon as the police find something more lucrative to do with their time. I would not be too concerned.

Wonder if they will take into account a false positive result? This is not uncommon in drug tests.
nicky2012

Post by nicky2012 »

[quote="buffalofan"]Knowing Thailand, this is nothing that can't be fixed by an unmarked envelope exchanging hands between a well connected Thai at your school and one of Bangkok's finest. And this latest 'crackdown' will all be forgotten as soon as the police find something more lucrative to do with their time. I would not be too concerned.

Wonder if they will take into account a false positive result? This is not uncommon in drug tests.[/quote]

lol you would think that would be the case, but our owner IS one of Bangkok's finest. It has all been quiet strange and our director is very upset about the whole thing, but really was given no wriggle room when it came to giving out warnings or firing people.
People who tested positive were given the option of having a hair strand test. Basically the samples were tested at school then sent off to the hospital if they were positive to have it confirmed.
One person was called in and told they had an initial positive then further testing revealed it was false. Admin kind of insinuated to them they were lucky to get off, the colleague then expressed various expletives at the admin team for even suggesting it.
Like I said just wondering if other schools have been subjected to it.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

Wow that seems crazy! Is yours one of the larger schools in Bangkok? Large name recognition within the city? I would doubt very much you are at NIST or ISB but does the school compete in BISAC? I could see the police really see the police targeting the tiny schools...
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

BTW are you a Downtown school or suburban? Different departments different motives
tgrear2008

Post by tgrear2008 »

Is drug testing common? I'm a newbie, and have nothing to fear, but I am curious. I'm headed to egypt. Maybe schools test on an individual basis. I know the Korea ESL'ers get piss tested, cause I just did one unannounced a couple months ago.

Drop some knowledge on us veterans. Regardless, I'm not taking any chances. However, what if someone goes on vacation to Amsterdam, where it is legal (tolerated)? It brings up some issues as we seem to be a global bunch.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicky2012

Post by nicky2012 »

[quote="interteach"]Great. Just what we need in international schools. Edu-drug tourists, the teaching equivalent of proprietary schools.

Surely there is a more lucrative profession to sully.[/quote]

Not in Bangkok, we are a 1st/2nd tier school, reasonable size. Another international school close by was also tested. We are real international schools not some pokey backwater schools, really don't want to give too many details, never know who is watching!

All of these teachers had been here for a while and were not 'druggie tourist teachers'.

It was the Thai authorities who insisted that the tests happened. Obviously this is not happening in other parts of Thailand, which is all I really wanted to know, but people should be aware that it might happen.
nicky2012

Post by nicky2012 »

[quote="tgrear2008"]Is drug testing common? I'm a newbie, and have nothing to fear, but I am curious. I'm headed to egypt. Maybe schools test on an individual basis. I know the Korea ESL'ers get piss tested, cause I just did one unannounced a couple months ago.

Drop some knowledge on us veterans. Regardless, I'm not taking any chances. However, what if someone goes on vacation to Amsterdam, where it is legal (tolerated)? It brings up some issues as we seem to be a global bunch.[/quote]

I was never tested in China, my friends in Egypt haven't been tested either.
In China and here in Thailand I had a blood test when i first arrived for my work permit/teaching license, but that seemed to focus on STDs rather than drugs.
PsyGuy

Drug testing

Post by PsyGuy »

Ive only seen a few cases of drug testing and in all of them it was done by the school with a teacher who seemed high when reporting to work or on the job. . In most cases of government testing occurred when it was reported by a parent or someone at the school (one time it was a report by an admin who wanted a teacher gone mid year). I've heard of government crack downs at schools but usually they dont last very long. The police and politicians find better things to do.

Regardless of where you go or what you do in another country where things are legal or tolerated (and in Amsterdam its not legal its just not prosecuted for possession of personal amounts), you have to be in compliance with the law of where you will eventually return. I suppose if you had money and wanted to fight it in court you would have to prove that your drug use only occurred when you were traveling in the foreign country it was legal, and thats a nearly impossible standard to meet.

There was a teacher going to China from California with a prescription for medical marijuana and he brought like a pound with him, and though since it was a drug treatment the Chinese PSB would be fine with it. They werent.
fke

Post by fke »

CNG in Bogotá is drug testing now. So it is not just Asia.
one2many

Post by one2many »

.isr
Last edited by one2many on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgrear2008

Post by tgrear2008 »

Some people need to cool it with their preachy attitudes. Nobody said they were doing drugs. Some people actually get offended at the whole idea of drug testing. Call me over dramatic, but you are allowing a stranger access to your bodily fluids. It's quite strange. It's also degrading- they are ordering you to piss on command.

Have I complied with a drug test in the past? Yeah. Have I always passed? Yeah. Will I take the tests in the future? Yeah, probably, unless I'm independently wealthy.

It still doesn't mean I have to agree or be happy about it.
overseasvet2

Post by overseasvet2 »

I've only been at schools that have "random" drug testing for high school students. The greatest benefit was that it allowed kids to say "No." When they told other kids " I can't because I go to ----school". It gave them an out without seeming "uncool".

Drug testing professionals without cause just seems degrading and invasive. No ACLU in other countries....
PsyGuy

Kinda

Post by PsyGuy »

In europe there are human and civil rights groups, but without having a bunch of different state laws to contend with it makes civil and labor regulation easier. Their is also a greater focus on community well being then protecting individual privilege (rights). Its just more socially acceptable to require drug testing of people who are responsible for the safety and care of others (including teachers).

In many asian countries the power of the government is just much stronger, and they can simply create and enforce laws pretty much however they want. It should be no surprise that many asian countries mandate the death penalty for drug smugglers and dealers.