DODDS Hiring Question

PsyGuy

No

Post by PsyGuy »

Where does it say this, please provide a source, as I see no evidence of your claim anywhere in the requirements. I've done nothing but prove myself right, and it's morning here, I slept very well. It's not an act when your right.

DoDDS and DDESS have always been under DODEA. It wasn't until this year that the applications were combined, even so they maintain separate requirements.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

I'll take it right from your quoted section:

"In LIEU of meeting the DoDDS minimum qualifications, applicants may be considered and [b]hired based on a valid state or territory certificate or license in the subject area for which applying[/b]."

Based on a VALID STATE OR TERRITORY CERTIFICATE OR LICENSE IN THE SUBJECT AREA FOR WHICH APPLYING.

Holy cow, you are an admin aren't you...
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

And no, we weren't always Team DoDEA. There was DDESS which had its own hiring ways and DoDDS which had its own hiring ways. Now we're Team DoDEA and we can all apply for positions in the States, or overseas.

Yet again you are wrong!
PsyGuy

Giggle

Post by PsyGuy »

Please look up the definition of in lieu of:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/in+lieu+of

It means "instead of", such as "in lieu of going to the birthday I baked the cake". With the substitution it reads "Instead of going to the birthday I baked the cake".

In this reference a candidate can substitute a state certification INSTEAD of meeting the minimum academic requirements. One or the other, it does not require BOTH.

Sigh, the DODEA was formed in 1992, at that time it managed DoDDS and DDESS, you can find the source here.

http://www.dodea.edu/home/about.cfm?cId=history

Again it wasn't until this year that the application systems were combined, however both organizations still remain individual entities.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

[b]applicants may be considered and [b]hired based on a valid state or territory certificate or license in the subject area for which applying[/b]."

Still based on having a valid state or territory certificate or license. Read it careful. You are wrong! You need to be a licensed teacher to work for DoDEA.

[/b]
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

Yep, so individual that we have 1 Director of DoDEA that overseas the America schools, Europe schools and Pacific Schools. Her name is Marilee Fitzgerald. We are not separate organizations, we are separate areas.

You have no idea what you're talking about. You are wrong, again. Batting .000 in this one. Sit down and be quiet already.
PsyGuy

I did

Post by PsyGuy »

I did now you read it VERY carefully, in Liue of means instead. Even your own redacted out of context quote uses the term "MAY". At no point does it say required. You are wrong you do not need to be a certified teache to qualify for DoDDS qualification, and nothing you've posted shows otherwise.

yes and there's been a director since 1992, that is not NEW, DODEA is not new.

So FA you haven't been right at all.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Tue May 22, 2012 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

Holy cow are you really an educator?

IN LIEU of MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
applicants may be considered and [b]hired based on a valid state or territory certificate or license in the subject area for which applying[/b]."

It says considered and hired BASED ON A VALID STATE OR TERRITORY CERTIFICATE OR LICENSE. YOU STILL need to HAVE THAT...
PsyGuy

No

Post by PsyGuy »

No you don't, that's why the paragraph begins with "in lieu of", again please look up the definition. It means instead of, one OR the other, not both. Please read the whole statement. You are not REQUIRED to have a state certification IF you meet the other minimum qualifications. You can write it as many times as you want, the conditional phrase in lieu of creates conditional requirements.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

You are wrong. You need to be a licensed teacher. Read it again. Read it slower if you have to.

applicants may be considered and [b]hired based on a valid state or territory certificate or license in the subject area for which applying[/b]."

It's still based on being licensed. Plain English. Have a good day. I'm done responding to you. I'll let people make up their own minds about this. They can believe you, a person that's never worked for DoDEA. Or they can believe me. A person that currently works for DoDEA. Choice is theirs. It's payday this Friday and I'll be cashing my DoDEA paycheck either way.
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

I'm actually going to have to side with PsyGuy on the certification argument. It says "In lieu of meeting DODDEA requirements..." State certification can be used to make someone qualified. If you go into HR you can read the DODDEA requirements and for each subject area and they refer specifically to educational coursework. If you don't meet the coursework requirements you can substitute your State license for 50% of them. So in essence you could get away with not being a state licensed teacher. He's right.

However...It's probably a mute point because while you could be considered qualified, without actual full time teaching experience you would likely not be considered and when there are plenty of applicants for a position who both meet educational requirements and are State certified they would clearly bump someone who does not have both.

So the guy/girl whose marked Unqualified is probably due to not having the coursework Psy Guy mentioned, BUT when he get's his license he will be qualified because he would only need to meet the 50% thing and he will have that.

For the person applying for SPED who is licensed, she/he would only be eligible if the teaching license was accompanied by at least 50% or 15 credits of Special Ed. However she/he has never actually taught full time so there by not be a job there for them...

Hope that helps and hope the back and forth will calm down a bit.
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

Oh and also if you meet all the DODDS requirements for a subject area you most likely would qualify for stateside licensure in at least ONE case anyway. Hopefully one would apply for that. If you're going to do student teaching, take the Praxis, and have all of these education courses, why wouldn't you just get certified? The answer is that most people would. I think only using coursework to qualify yourself becomes primarily beneficial when you are ADDING qualifications. For example: I'm state certified in ESL, elementary, and bilingual education (Spanish). I'm NOT certified to teach Spanish on any level, but I have an undergrad degree in Spanish. Therefore I'm fairly sure I'll qualify to teach Spanish without the license. I could be wrong though...
Westeach

Post by Westeach »

As the debates go on... I would like to know about what I can do in the next couple of years to make myself an attractive candidate to be a special educator for DODEA.. as stated earlier..I will in a matter of weeks have a special education license for General curriculum K-12 from the state of North Carolina... it will not include a BA degree in education.. but I do have the BA in history which I'm not seeking to teach... I would love to teach overseas as soon as possible but that seems impossible at the moment without any teaching experience with the license as of yet... so what can I do to be considered a viable candidate...is it senseless to even apply to DODEA at the moment? any other option availabe to a new license holder for special education overseas? thanks for any replies... or future debates...
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

Yes Ringler, that's what we're saying. You need to be a licensed teacher by a state, or territory. And since you need coursework to get a license, you're pretty much agreeing with what we're saying. Psy is saying that you don't need a state license, I'm saying you do. So in lieu of the coursework, you can use the license. If you don't have the license, you can's use it, right? So if you don't have the coursework, or the license then you can't be a DoDEA teacher.

It's a pretty simple read. No license, no teaching position with us. End of story.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

Yes Ringler, that's what we're saying. You need to be a licensed teacher by a state, or territory. And since you need coursework to get a license, you're pretty much agreeing with what we're saying. Psy is saying that you don't need a state license, I'm saying you do. So in lieu of the coursework, you can use the license. If you don't have the license, you can's use it, right? So if you don't have the coursework, or the license then you can't be a DoDEA teacher.

It's a pretty simple read. No license, no teaching position with us. End of story.