DODDS Hiring Question

mockingbird

Post by mockingbird »

Yes, I'm aware of the course qualifications. I'll be taking an extra upper level French course next semester in order to have my 12 hours in upper level courses. That will put me at 20 hours total. I started out teaching French in my state but switched to Social Studies before getting fully certified, so I will have to take the certification test this fall, as well. My 20 hours plus State Certification should satisfy DoDEA.

Granted, I'd still like a miracle call this semester--because, you know, getting a Social Studies job is the easiest thing in the world. ;) Unfortunately, I updated too late and, as it turns out, DoDEA had the wrong email for me. Adding French, I feel, will give me a better chance for the next school year.

If not, I will consider the international school route; though, as a former DoDDS student (over a decade in Germany), I'd prefer DoDEA. (As would a lot of people!)
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

French, and Chinese are both in demand positions. French is more popular in Europe, while Chinese is more popular in the Pacific. I did see two French positions open in Japan and Korea this year. As with all positions it always depends on how the winds are blowing. There is no exact formula to what is/isn't going to be an indemand position. It also depends on how admin group their openings.

I wouldn't worry about what is going to be the in demand positions in any given year. I would worry about networking with our teachers and getting your name out there. That way when there is an opening you may already have a leg up on others by already having a direct relationship with a school, or admin.
mockingbird

Post by mockingbird »

Thanks, WeDoDude!

I do enjoy teaching French and always intended to get certified, so I'm glad to finally be able to do it.

I have another question: how big has AP become in DoDDS? I've noticed a lot of information about AVID, too, and was wondering if the two go hand-in-hand for DoDDS. AP here is huge, as is AVID. AVID students are encouraged to take AP courses.

Also, do DoDDS students have the option to take Dual Enrollment courses through University of Maryland (or whichever college/university is available) or on campus? I have been teaching Dual Enrollment US History on our campus through the local CC and was wondering if that would be an option if I were hired.

I am friends with some of my old DoDDS teachers (including my French I-IV teacher!) on Facebook, but most are retired now. I have also read a few of the posts from the DoDDS Teachers page but haven't posted or joined. It's just for current/past DoDDS teachers, correct?

Thanks for your insight!
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

I follow along on the Facebook page. Some people who are applicants have posted there. It seems to have been met positively. There might be a few people who it bothers but in general it is a very supportive and friendly place. It gives me great expectation that if I ever get a chance to work for DODS it will be equally as positive.

I'm not feeling a press to find a position at the moment but I'm a little bit on the fence about posting there next year (when I won't have missed the application deadline). WeDoDudes suggestion to network is obviously spot on. That's a great way to get hired in any field. I think it works best if you have some personal connections other thn just posting on the FB page. I'm sure some of your former teachers know current ones. I would be on touch with them about that for certain.
PsyGuy

Comments

Post by PsyGuy »

@mockingbird

Yeah schools are just throwing themselves at social studies teachers :)

AP is pretty popular, and just about every teacher in DoDDS gets trained in AVID at some point. It's one ways or a principal to "close" a position, as few teachers CONUS have it. AP would help, but you seldom see a vacancy specifically list AP. have in the right combination of qualifications is more important.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

AP is growing. I know a lot of schools want to expand it and DoDEA is spending the money to get teachers trained. If you're certified to teach AP, especially AP math, science, ELA, then you might stand out a bit more when we're looking over your profile.

I've never heard of dual enrollment as an option for DoDEA students. That is to say that it doesn't exist, I just have never heard of it.

Again, I suggest that you meet some teachers on the FB page. I suggest maybe setting up, and/or pitching a project idea that you would like to do with our students. I know a lot of teachers would love to collaborate and get their students doing collaborative projects as well.
mockingbird

Post by mockingbird »

Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate the insight.

WeDoDude: I just took a job at my state's Virtual School (considered a public district, under the purview of the State DOE), so I'm not sure that I could collaborate the same way I could have in a regular classroom. I would have loved to have been able to set up a world-wide PLC, though!

Making the choice to switch to virtual was not an easy one--I love/d my school (one of the best in the state), my co-workers, admin and students. I am looking forward to developing a new skill set. I will miss the classroom, though, and do intend to return--hopefully, as an international or DoDDS teacher. I grew up overseas and have never wanted to stay Stateside long-term. :)
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

You can always network. You can always collaborate with other teachers on projects that aren't in your physical location. Things are changing in DoDEA. Some say evolving. Jobs are tightening up. Money is drying up. In the end it will be about how you've distinguished yourself from the rest of the pact of applicants.

Be creative...
kmartin

DODEA questions?

Post by kmartin »

Hi, I am new to this forum so hope you can help me out. I am a teacher with my Master's degree and have been teaching for 12 years. I am certified in two states. The state I presently live in seems to only want to hire new graduates. After two years and several interviews and being told the same thing. I decided to check out the DODEA. I have completed their appplication (missed their dead line for 2012 school year by 3 weeks) and have certification in multiple areas including Science and Gifted. I have indicated I will go anywhere. What do you think my chances are? Do you know about any success stories with the DODEA? I would love to talk to someone who is working for them now to obtain some first hand information. Any chances I could still get in 2012 school year? :?:

I have also checked out the ISS schools. Which brings be to my next question. The DODEA sounds better, but it seems to be a sit and wait.... The ISS appear that they are more proactive in hiring .... at least information on line leads you to believe that. I also have been told that some ISS school do not pay for a spouse to accompany you. Right now I am waiting on the DODEA but I am also checking out other possibilities, always gotta have a plan B. Can anyone provide me with information about the ISS?
PsyGuy

Advise

Post by PsyGuy »

Well if your qualified in science I'd sayyourprospects are as good as anyone else's. Lots of people in DODDS have masters degrees and a decade of experience. What gets you the job is having the qualifications for a combination vacancy slot. Some people wait years and years and never get hired.
I doubt you'd get in for2012, it would mean there was no one suitable in the current pool of candidates. If you were qualified in SPED, I'd say maybe.

ISS is one of several big recruiting agencies, the other being Search Associates, and the third being COIS. ISS has about 150 schools they cater more to the higher tier schools. Search has about 670 schools but also include many 3 rd tier schools. COIS mainly represent European school. I'd recommend Serch over ISS in your case.
Sme international schools don't pay for a trailing spouse, most do. It's when you have kids it becomes an issue.
dutchschultz

Post by dutchschultz »

Dual enrollment has two problems that make it difficult, IMHO, for DODEA to offer such classes. First, in order to teach dual enrollment the teacher must have a master's in the content area, not just in education. While many who work for DODEA have master's degrees the percent of them who have it in the content isn't that high. Second, the high school must have an agreement with a community college where a number of the students would probably end up attending. This would be difficult for DODEA to do with its overseas base schools.

I have lived in a number of states and had never heard of dual enrollment until I moved to Virginia. One will see a number of dual enrollment history positions advertised but all of these schools are part of small, rural school districts, which often has some of the lowest salaries in the state.
educ8nc

Post by educ8nc »

Question about the application. How do you know your app is active? I have everything complete and turned in, and I am qualified for elementary. However, I don't know if I am active.

Thanks!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

In your application click on status at the top right hand side of the screen. Next to your name at the top you will see external applicant. When you see green check boxes next to your certificate and all your evaluations, then your application is complete and viewable to principles. If your just applying your not eligible for hiring this year, your application is technically for the upcoming 2013/2014 SY, though if a principal cant find a suitable candidate they can look at new applications. This doesn't really happen though except n the case really of SPED, and EC.
jsmith21

SPED Certificate

Post by jsmith21 »

I am Texas certified in K-12 SPED with 5 years experience. I don't have the college hours that are listed on the website. Am I qualified to get a provisional certificate with DoDEA?
PsyGuy

No

Post by PsyGuy »

No, DODEA doesn't issue provisional certificates to external applicants, at least they haven't since the 80s. Provisional certificates are for DODEA teachers who will be teaching on a temporary or emergency basis outside of their certification.