DODDS Hiring Question

wrldtrvlr123

Re: DODDS Hiring Question

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

TeacherWNoRoots wrote:
> Transfers are not guaranteed, no matter what the admin says. They are certainly possible,
> but they can't be counted on.
>
> If you go to the International school in Korea and are hired for DoDEA, there is
> also no guarantee that you will get housing, etc. Many will say that it's guaranteed
> as long as you can show that you were hired for your local position with travel
> as a benefit, but HR can still deny the housing and travel. Anecdotal success in
> gaining overseas rights as a local hire does not mean that it's
> always done.
=================
I don't anyone with any knowledge/experience with DoDDS/the gov't will say that anything is guaranteed. But, when "anecdotal experience" is aligned with current DoDDS policy then that is all you have to go on when trying to plan for the future.

Yes, they could start applying the 5 year rule to DoDDS teachers tomorrow, or phasing out LQA or make all postings unaccompanied but all you can go on is what we know right now.
TeacherWNoRoots

Post by TeacherWNoRoots »

All I'm saying about guarantees is that a transfer absolutely can't be guaranteed. To quote Mr. Brady, "DoDEA is not a travel agency. If you don't like where you are, you are free to resign."
Jangja4ever

Post by Jangja4ever »

How depressing! What are the consequences of pulling out of an offer you accepted two days ago. After speaking with many people, and fearing that not accepting a DDESS position looks bad, I accepted an offer. Now I'm worried I'll get stuck in a location I don't like. I spoke with someone after sending in the paperwork who has been there three years because she passed up for overseas transfer. Also, does being Korea increase my odds at being a local hire?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Jangja4ever wrote:
> How depressing! What are the consequences of pulling out of an offer you accepted
> two days ago. After speaking with many people, and fearing that not accepting a
> DDESS position looks bad, I accepted an offer. Now I'm worried I'll get stuck in
> a location I don't like. I spoke with someone after sending in the paperwork who
> has been there three years because she passed up for overseas transfer. Also, does
> being Korea increase my odds at being a local hire?
======================
Generally if you turn down an offer you are frozen out of accepting any other positions for that recruiting year. I'd imagine backing out of an offer is the same (it's not that uncommon for some reason). It shouldn't be a deal breaker for getting into DoDDS in the future.

As for being a local hire in Korea it is a bit tricky. If you are not there as a sponsored dependent it gets complicated (e.g. visa/SOFA status, base access, etc). And if hired while in the commuting area, you would not likely qualify for housing allowance etc which definitely would take some shine off of being with DoDDS.

Also, you would be behind any military/civilian/contractor spouses on base who are also looking for a teaching position. So, possible but definitely not straight forward and the negatives probably wipe out any advantages.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Jangja4ever

Not only is a transfer not guaranteed, but in DDESS you dont get to participate in the transfer program. If your a local hire you need a sponsorship package, otherwise if youre hired as a local hire, even if they do sponsor a SOFA visa your not likely to get LQA.

If you decline an offered appointment, you are generally removed from appointment consideration for the remainder of that recruiting cycle. A principal can put notes in your EAS application that another principal can read and access. From an HR perspective, you would be eligible for appointment next year.