Dubai?

Mike

Dubai?

Post by Mike »

The Dubai reviews on this site seem fairly negative in general...
What are the 'top' schools in Dubai? Does anyone have a positive experience to share?
Mish

Post by Mish »

I agree- there are not many positive reviews regarding Dubai or the Middle East. Please share them if they are out there!

We are on our way to teach in Dubai next school year and ready for anything. We have been in Qatar for the last 4 years and know many of the schools here are a 'circus' so not getting our hopes built up for the next school!

We are thinking great shopping, great beaches and outdoor cafes with alcoholic drinks available! Much more on offer there than here :)
heather

Dubai

Post by heather »

Don't know about the British schools, but the best two American schools in Dubai are American School of Dubai and Dubai American Academy. ASD has the better package (although I heard they just got bought by someone, so who knows what will happen in future) but DAA has more of an international (as opposed to American) feel. There are easily 50 "international" schools in Dubai, many of them with pretty poor packages and academic integrity, so you have to be careful.
In terms of the city, it is awesome to come here from elsewhere in the middle east. It is a very easy place to live, but stupidly expensive. Cost of living went up 15% last year and you will definitely want to make sure you get housing because there is no cap on rent increases from landlords. You can get pretty much anything you could possibly want in Dubai for the right price. You can also wear pretty much anything too. The main things to do are shop, eat and drink. You can also go to the beach or visit the desert for dune bashing or camping. Good luck!
mike

Post by mike »

Well...that wasn't quite the avalanche I was hoping for...thanks for those who replied. I'm off to dubai for a holiday soon, and hope to have a sniff around at schools.....but it's looking pretty bleak.
Anybody got some good news for me?