AEON Corporation

season4greatness

AEON Corporation

Post by season4greatness »

Does anyone have any thoughts about the AEON Corporation in Japan?
stirdaddy

Post by stirdaddy »

It's an easy way to get a working visa in Japan. A lot of people get a job with Aeon (or another ESL org), get the working visa, then move on to a better job after 6 months. As for Aeon itself, it's a decent gig; though you'll have a lot of contact hours, and you'll be working from 2pm-10pm, possibly Saturdays as well. They'll supply the textbooks and materials, so you have minimal planning... teach maybe 5-7 periods/day I think.

Source: my friends who worked there when I lived in Japan (though I didn't work there myself).
season4greatness

Post by season4greatness »

When did your friends work in Japan? Was it within the last 5 years?
stirdaddy

Post by stirdaddy »

Ah, it was ages ago... 2005-07.

You can find a mountain of information at these places:

www.gaijinpot.com ("gaijin" is slang for foreigner)
www.bigdaikon.com (the pre-eminent gaijin forum in Japan)
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

If your a real international teacher you can do a lot better. If your more interested in just going to Japan for whatever reason and cant get a real job, Aeon, is the best of the big three (Aeon, GEOS, and NOVA). Its a lot of teaching contract hours, but little preparation, and while the salary is the minimum 250KÂ¥ a month you need to really live of off, its about on par with the amount of work you do. Theres nothing to take home with you, so when you punch out for the day your down.
kellysensei

Post by kellysensei »

I worked for AEON Amity for 2+ years (seven years ago already; time flies!). I absolutely loved it - I thought my co-workers, students, and the city were great. That said, two other foreign teachers at the *same* school hated it so much they broke their contracts and left early. One of them left for lunch one day and never came back. I think they were both really young, homesick and not prepared for life abroad, though.

So it all depends on your attitude and also on the particular school you work at. Some managers are really relaxed and friendly; others are all business and make the school atmosphere really tense.
PsyGuy

AEON

Post by PsyGuy »

AEON is the best eikaiwa in Japan, in my experience. NOVA doesnt exist anymore. They filed for bankruptcy in 2007 (got too big), they are still in business under Jibun Mirai Associates. GEOS also filed for bankruptcy in 2010, and will likely be folded into AEON.

AEON runs language schools (eikaiwa) towards the general public and AEON Amity runs English programs targeted to children and students. The first is more conversational, the second more academic as far as the english language focus.

The big thing with AEON, is they hire from overseas, and they will sponsor you for a work permit. People often leave when they get a better offer. Salaries have dropped and ¥225K is now the average. You dont get housing, but if your full time they will contribute to your NHI (Health Insurance) and Pension. Its hard to get full time though, as they will give you just enough hours to stay under. You usually get reimbursed for travel as well. The teaching hours are very heavy, but there is very little prep, and marking. When your done for the day your done.

Most teachers can do much better at a real IS, but for many going to Japan is the real goal, and AEON accomplishes that.