Advice please

wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="hjayty"][quote="seinfeld"] Same school was racist towards my friend when she took her basketball team there.[/quote]

Oh, horse hockey. While I do not work at this school, I am very familiar with it. I don't buy this for one second.

I don't get how people expect schools to bend their entire value system to individual beliefs or lack thereof. One would think that people would do their homework before applying to a school and realize they won't be hired as a couple if they're not actually married. It's really not rocket science.[/quote]
-------------------------------------------------------

Really? Why do you find it impossible that this actually happened? You admit you don't work there. Do you really know every single person that doe, and knno for a fact that they are all incapable of prejudice?

I don't think most people actually expect the school to bend to their beliefs/lack of beliefs. I think most people are simply disappointed that the schools in question are more concerned about personal factors than hiring the best teacher.

Also, if coming from the US, applicants know that those types of hiring (and non-hiring) practices would be highly illegal and it takes a while to realize that international schools really are the wild west and can do pretty much what they want.
PsyGuy

Agree

Post by PsyGuy »

That was perfectly written. I really believe, that a lot of teachers from the US and western Europe (we have very strong labor and anti discrimination laws here as well), just don't know or want to believe that in a good many parts of the world, discrimination is very much alive, and an every day occurrence and practice.
guru

Post by guru »

[quote="seinfeld"]International schools with religious mantras front and center are the most bigoted schools out there tbh.

Hong Kong IS have a 7 page application form in which 2 or 3 qs are about your religious background.

My wife (then girlfriend) had a chat with Concordia Shangai once, all was going good until they asked if we were married. No we aren't. Well okay we won't hire you unless you are. Buh-bye then. Same school was racist towards my friend when she took her basketball team there.[/quote]

Like it or lump it the schools you mentioned make no apologies for being what they are and nor should they. If you don't like it do your homework and apply elsewhere. They have certain values they won't deviate from and although some of these values do not sit well with me, I respect the fact they are upfront in telling you about them.

Both HKIS and Concordia are overseen by the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod and if you read a little about this group, you will be left in no doubt about what these schools believe in. http://www.lcms.org/page.aspx?pid=388

I have visited both schools on a number of occasions and have always been warmly welcomed and treated with dignity and respect. Both have amazing facilities and would be worth considering if you hold similar values to those mentioned in the aforementioned website.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="guru"][quote="seinfeld"]International schools with religious mantras front and center are the most bigoted schools out there tbh.

Hong Kong IS have a 7 page application form in which 2 or 3 qs are about your religious background.

My wife (then girlfriend) had a chat with Concordia Shangai once, all was going good until they asked if we were married. No we aren't. Well okay we won't hire you unless you are. Buh-bye then. Same school was racist towards my friend when she took her basketball team there.[/quote]

Like it or lump it the schools you mentioned make no apologies for being what they are and nor should they. If you don't like it do your homework and apply elsewhere. They have certain values they won't deviate from and although some of these values do not sit well with me, I respect the fact they are upfront in telling you about them.

Both HKIS and Concordia are overseen by the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod and if you read a little about this group, you will be left in no doubt about what these schools believe in. ----://www.lcms.org/page.aspx?pid=388

I have visited both schools on a number of occasions and have always been warmly welcomed and treated with dignity and respect. Both have amazing facilities and would be worth considering if you hold similar values to those mentioned in the aforementioned website.[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never said/implied that those types of schools couldn't be good schools. HKIS in particular always seemed to be a school I would enjoy working for. I have talked to staff and students from HKIS and they downplayed the role of religion in day to day life (and felt I would fit in there, despite my views). Maybe their views weren't accurate. I couldn't really say.

I have interviewed with HKIS in the past and really enjoyed talking with all of the adminstrators and they seemed to be people I would enjoy working for.

I always wonder though how some people would feel if a school had a policy of preferring to hire non-religious teachers? Probably wouldn't go over too well. :D
guru

Post by guru »

@wrldtrvlr123 I always wonder though how some people would feel if a school had a policy of preferring to hire non-religious teachers? Probably wouldn't go over too well. :D

Don't think it would matter too much as most discerning punters should make informed choices based on what they know about certain places.