Are there any true good places to work out there?

JC

Are there any true good places to work out there?

Post by JC »

It can get a little depressing reading some of the recent school reviews. It would be nice to hear someone rave about what an amazing school they worked or are working for. I guess it is inevitable that this site will attract more of the disgruntled. I suppose those that are happy aren't looking for an outlet to vent. It kind of makes me not want to head overseas again. As a Canadian, getting paid in US, is not as appealing as it use to be. It seems to be such a crap shoot landing in a good school. I truly believe it comes down to good housing and good administration. I digress... If there is anyone out there that thinks they are at an amazing school and they are keeping it to themselves I would love to hear about it. Give me hope!

International School of Latvia

Post by Guest »

International School of Latvia

I worked there from 2001-2003 when Sally Hadden was the director. I had a very positive experience. Housing was great, salary was good, and Riga is a lovely city (can be a bit brutal in the winter months).

And working at the school...heaven for me! I don't recall ANY big problems. Everything ran smoothly. No drama, no backstabbing, no threatening. Lots of high level learning going on with the highly motivated students. Sally can be tough and had high expectations of her teaching staff, but that just motivated everyone to always do their best and put forth 100%. Rather than the threatening-type directors that make you live in fear, thus creating teachers that do not perform up to their potential because they are always afraid of rubbing the director the wrong way. Sally was also very good at separating school life from social life.

All the teachers I worked with at ISL at that time were incredible. And everyone worked together and supported one another. The parents were incredible also...very supportive and cared about their child's education. A true international school with many different nationalities represented, as well as some local Latvian and Russian students.

I don't know how the school is now, as Sally is no longer there and many of the teachers finished out their 6 year (I think) tax free salary status, and therefore have moved on. The ONLY reason I left is because I fell in love with another country and HAD to move their to work and live! :) If I hadn't found a job in this country, I would have definitely stayed on for years in Latvia at ISL.

So there you have it! A wonderful school with a wonderful director, wonderful teachers, wonderful students and parents, and a wonderful standard of living in a wonderful city. :)

P.S. I know I know...I should have posted a review of ISL and I haven't. Sorry for that.

oops....I made a mistake!

Post by Guest »

"I fell in love with another country and HAD to move their to work and live!"

Oh my goodness...it should read "I fell in love with another country and had to move THERE to work and live!"

Sorry about that...I hate it when I make errors!