"americanisms" that annoy

BocaJrs

"americanisms" that annoy

Post by BocaJrs »

I frequently read about all the cultural idiosyncracies of locals that tend to annoy Americans who are teaching overseas. For example, it almost always seems to be prefaced with the phrase "This is _________" or "Only in __________".

But what about the "american way of doing things" that might get on others' nerves? Which habits tend to provoke confusion, misunderstandings or irritation in other countries? Are they bad enough to hinder interraction with the locals or are they commonly known and tolerated?

For example: I took my kids to a doctor's appointment today (I'm in the US)and something that I thought was just a quirkiness of their pediatrician happened with yet another doctor and has me thinking it might just be a common cultural trait. What I'm talking about is greetings. These doctors seem good enough at saying hello but are not as good at saying goodbye, meaning they just don't do it. I'm never sure if the appointment is over and we are free to leave or if the doctor will pop back in. So I wait, and wait and wait until it's obvious no one is coming and then inevitably feel a bit of a fool.
I think the reason it bothers me so is because I lived for many years in a South American country (my username should clue you in) and it's considered very rude to arrive or leave a place without properly acknowledging everyone present with a hello/goodbye and a kiss to boot. It has become so ingrained that I still am taken aback when people just leave at the end of a meeting or get-together without a proper goodbye.

So, what behaviors/actions do you think are typically american and could potentially create some cultural friction?
stellalocal

Re: "americanisms" that annoy

Post by stellalocal »

[quote="BocaJrs"]

For example: I took my kids to a doctor's appointment today (I'm in the US)and something that I thought was just a quirkiness of their pediatrician happened with yet another doctor and has me thinking it might just be a common cultural trait. What I'm talking about is greetings. These doctors seem good enough at saying hello but are not as good at saying goodbye, meaning they just don't do it. I'm never sure if the appointment is over and we are free to leave or if the doctor will pop back in. So I wait, and wait and wait until it's obvious no one is coming and then inevitably feel a bit of a fool.
[/quote]

That's just odd. Surely Americans know how to say goodbye. Guess we have to wait for an American to come on and fill us in.
rumour5182

Post by rumour5182 »

[quote="BocaJrs"]
[/quote]

This made me giggle. I'm American, and it happens all the time. I've had some doctors who are super personable and wish me well at the end of the appointment, signaling its end, but they're the exception to the rule. In fact, my current doctor never says good-bye, but just stands there and quietly waits while I gather my things and leave.

Usually my sign to go is receiving my prescription -- then I know our transaction is complete.

I'm curious to read about other American quirks that drive people from other countries nuts!
PsyGuy

Humm

Post by PsyGuy »

Id have to say the american level of "casualness" that borders on sloppy/lazy.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="stellalocal"][quote="BocaJrs"]

[/quote]

That's just odd. Surely Americans know how to say goodbye. Guess we have to wait for an American to come on and fill us in.[/quote]

------------------------------------------------

I must just go to friendlier doctors as I don't recall that ever happening across several states.

And let's face it, Americans are far from the only people to use the only in ___________ (and I don't believe I ever do).

I know tipping is a big one. I am used to always tipping and our first overseas jobs were in Egypt where salaries are very low and people survive on tips so it became even more ingrained.

From there we went to Japan where it considered rude to tip (as in you are saying they won't do a good job unless you pay them extra).

Now in China people will be happy with a tip, but I often read comments urging Westerners to not tip, or it will be expected and drive up the cost of living here even more.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I like to tip in whatever country I'm in. I lived off tips for four years of college and a few after I graduated. In two of the countries in LA and two other in Asia I worked in I always tip a buck or two. All of the servers were very appreciative and for someone who makes $80 a month, I'm thinking it's nice to have for a few drinks or something.

I also tip some taxi-drivers, this pisses off everyone I know, locals and expats. I don't care, they are great sources of information and they all have beast of a work schedule.
PsyGuy

Tipping

Post by PsyGuy »

I tip everywhere, money makes people happy, and happy people are more helpful people. The service industry is hard enough, and I feel its one of the really few benevolent aspects of american culture Im happy to "export".
Even in countries Ive been to such as Japan, I may not exactly tip, but Ill always leave the "change" left over from a bill.
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

[quote="liketotravel"]
I also tip some taxi-drivers, this pisses off everyone I know, locals and expats. I don't care, they are great sources of information and they all have beast of a work schedule.[/quote]

I agree with you there. I always tip good taxi drivers. There are so many ruthless ones out there that try to rip you off by ridiculous amounts, when I get an honest one I can't help but give them a decent tip.
fke

Post by fke »

I tip as well. Pretty much every time I use a taxi. I also pay my maid more than others, but I don´t care. It makes a difference for them.

An Americanism that grates is this: calling the States-- America and its people Americans. I didn´t get it for the longest time, but now I agree. It smacks of arrogance in Latin America. There is a good reason for it (American was used, I think, after the civil war to unite the country), but I don´t say it here. But calling the states America is the worst one.
PsyGuy

Huh?

Post by PsyGuy »

Except there is no country called "latin america". Latin America is a category of countries in a general geographic region. That would be like Canadians referring to themselves as americans because Canada is in North America.
overseasvet2

the America debate

Post by overseasvet2 »

Out of the respect for my Latin friends, I also use "the States" but don't totally get it. After all, Mexico's full name is The United States of Mexico. We can't change what the founding fathers called our country. It's simple to write EEUU in Spanish but there is no easy equivalent in English. The reality is that unless I say "America" in most of the world, they don't understand what I mean.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats not really true, we could change the name of the USA if we REALLY wanted too.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

[quote="fke"]I tip as well. Pretty much every time I use a taxi. I also pay my maid more than others, but I don´t care. It makes a difference for them.

An Americanism that grates is this: calling the States-- America and its people Americans. I didn´t get it for the longest time, but now I agree. It smacks of arrogance in Latin America. There is a good reason for it (American was used, I think, after the civil war to unite the country), but I don´t say it here. But calling the states America is the worst one.[/quote]

Agree to a certain extent, but if Canadians or Brazillians want to call themselves Americans, then that would be fine. Are the French "Europeans"? Also if we can't use American to describe our nationality, what do we call ourselves? Just my two cents, but I'm genuinely interested in a good answer.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Having lived in South America it does show respect to say you're from EEUU instead of "America." So when I moved to the Middle East I would tell people who asked that I was from the U.S. That puzzled them, but if I say "America" they understand. It does feel a little funny saying that.
BocaJrs

Post by BocaJrs »

[quote= "fke"]An Americanism that grates is this: calling the States-- America and its people Americans. I didn´t get it for the longest time, but now I agree. It smacks of arrogance in Latin America. There is a good reason for it (American was used, I think, after the civil war to unite the country), but I don´t say it here. But calling the states America is the worst one[/quote]

I agree; this a common "pet peeve" amongst Latin Americans and will very likely provoke the almost knee jerk reaction of "but we are all Americans". If you want to embark on a historical/political /social debate on whether it is correct or not to use the term exclusively to refer to someone from the US, go right ahead and say you're "Americano/a" . If you would rather avoid it, then say "Estadounidense".

Regarding the doctor visits: they've all been friendly and I sincerely doubt they would ever intend to be rude. It's just that I obviously am not picking up on their cues regarding when the appointment is over (how "I'm going to write the prescription" is synonymous to "goodbye" was lost on me for a while). And that was the point of my post. What else might we do that unbeknownst to us might raise eyebrows, or even worse, hurt feelings?