Rating Qatar

upintheair

Rating Qatar

Post by upintheair »

What do you think are the best 5 schools/working conditions in Qatar? And the bottom five?
PsyGuy

*Sigh*

Post by PsyGuy »

It wouldnt matter both lists would be the same (though not in the same order)...
Scottishlassy

Post by Scottishlassy »

I was thinking psy guy was getting some unfair press but with useless comments like that I sort of see the point people are making...

I can't commend on a comprehensive list but can tell you to stay well clear of Cambridge school, I have friends who have taught there and it's awful.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I just dont have a best anything when in comes to Qatar.
Mike

Post by Mike »

The American School of Doha has been a great fit for our family!

Great students to teach, new school building, saving 40,000$ per year.

While in Doha I have gone to professional golf, tennis, soccer, and track and field.

We are busy every weekend, plus we have taken great trips to Sri Lanka, Jordan and Kenya.

I would only work for a non-profit school and I have heard horror stories from other teachers at other schools.....

Maybe PsyGuy needs to listen a bit more and post a bit less.....
sid

Post by sid »

Psyguy does seem rather uninformed here. There are dozens of schools in Qatar, so how could the top 5 be the bottom 5?
American School of Doha and Qatar Academy are probably the best two schools. Doha College used to round that group out as it was relatively equal, but I think lately that ASD and QA have pulled ahead. DC is still good though.
ASD has a better package for less experienced teachers. QA has a better package for everyone else.
Qatar Foundation runs Qatar Academy, and has several other schools, so at any of them you get the same package as at QA. Schools include Qatar Leadership Academy (boys boarding), Awsaj (special needs), QA Al Wakra and QA Al Khor (different locations outside of Doha, and very different programs than the original QA in Doha). QLA is the best of this bunch; it's been improving steadily in recent years.
And then there's tons of other schools, each different. I've heard Newton is ok though I don't have proof.
PsyGuy

*Sigh*

Post by PsyGuy »

Mainly, I fail to see the utility in differentiating between various shades of 'bad'...

If Qatar is "so great" why do they always seem to be recruiting? If its so wonderful why cant they staff their school in November like ISB (Brussels, Beijing, Bangkok, take your pick)? Why arent the lines at the fairs for them as long as the ones for ANY of the schools in say, Italy? Why dont people "brag" about working there? Why is it every time i hear something good about the region its always "the moneys great" or its about something the money can buy? Why is there turnover so high? Why dont people talk about wanting to retire there? Why have I NEVER met a teacher who said "You know the hubby and I just want to find a nice little place in Qatar and retire"? Ive never heard a candidate at a fair say "OH my god, I cant believe I got an offer for Qatar" OR "Gee I dont know should I take the position at ASIJ or Doha?".

Can we cut the hyperbole, Qutar is the bad situation/lack of options you try to make the best of. Its not on anyones "bucket list"
wrldtrvlr123

Re: *Sigh*

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Mainly, I fail to see the utility in differentiating between various shades of 'bad'...

If Qatar is "so great" why do they always seem to be recruiting? If its so wonderful why cant they staff their school in November like ISB (Brussels, Beijing, Bangkok, take your pick)? Why arent the lines at the fairs for them as long as the ones for ANY of the schools in say, Italy? Why dont people "brag" about working there? Why is it every time i hear something good about the region its always "the moneys great" or its about something the money can buy? Why is there turnover so high? Why dont people talk about wanting to retire there? Why have I NEVER met a teacher who said "You know the hubby and I just want to find a nice little place in Qatar and retire"? Ive never heard a candidate at a fair say "OH my god, I cant believe I got an offer for Qatar" OR "Gee I dont know should I take the position at ASIJ or Doha?".

Can we cut the hyperbole, Qutar is the bad situation/lack of options you try to make the best of. Its not on anyones "bucket list"[/quote]

------------------------------------------------------
I think those 2 weeks in Egypt scarred you for life and poisoned the ME for you (even though Egypt is really Africa).

Did one of those belly dancers turn you down (or stalk you)?
Mike

Post by Mike »

We LOVE our school!! (ASD) and we are very happy here. Our school has ZERO problems hiring wonderful, gifted teachers.

Life is very good! Again there are some BAD schools in Qatar.... but there are some great ones too!
PsyGuy

Geography

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes Egypt is in africa, but its a very middle east culture. No belly dancer experience, its the only place i wasnt there long enough (about 2 months).

That said, the experience really shaped my point of view.
overseasvet2

the Middle East

Post by overseasvet2 »

PsyGuy - with only 2 months' experience in a region it would make sense that you recuse yourself from any comments about the region. Leave it to those of us who have lived there to provide some specific info, good or bad. There are teachers who spend their entire career moving between schools in the NESA region. Europe and Asia are not for everyone - for a lot of reasons. One of the great things about the MIddle East is that it's close enough to Europe to visit often AND be able to afford it!
PsyGuy

No offense

Post by PsyGuy »

No offense, but those with bad experiences and negative views are unlikely to stay in a region or area for any extended length of time. Two months of suffering was quit enough. I dont owe a region, place, or school any particular length of time to prove its self. I know bad when im living it, and your not really in a position to evaluate my experiences (short as they were). Simply put, my life does not require or need to be validated.

Im sure I dont need to explain the vast differences between "visiting" a region as a tourist and "living" in a region as a resident. Visiting europe is not the same as living in europe.
overseasvet2

generalizing the Middle East

Post by overseasvet2 »

Again, two months in Egypt does not make you a credible reference for the Middle East. Egypt is worlds apart from the Gulf states which are worlds apart from Jordan, Syria and Lebanon. Your opiniions on Egypt are well documented in this forum and noone can take away your bad experience, but it does not mean people should write the region off. I don't really write this response to you but for the sake of those who are new to international teaching and might think you know what you're talking about when referring to the Middle East.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

Just going to have to disagree with you. Id like to think there is room for a wide range of opinions and experiences. Aside from my own experiences, I've shared plenty with others who came out of the middle east, and in all their stories I have yet to hear a single one say "I cant wait to go back."
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

Good grief Psyguy, can't you just learn when to stop, your experience of 2 months in Cairo is pathetic. I can also speak from experience. I hated Cairo when I first moved there and really didn't think I'd last until Christmas, however after a few months everything turned around and I ended up having to drag myself away after quite a few years. I know a lot of other people that went through the same thing. The point is that 2 months in a place is not long enough to make an informed opinion of what it's like to live there.

Out of curiosity, how long were you teaching in Qatar?

Seriously Psyguy, stick to commenting on what you actually know. I'm finding it harder and harder to believe anything you say about anywhere now.