Harrow Beijing

ChoirGuy

Harrow Beijing

Post by ChoirGuy »

A post has recently come up here, and after looking at gross salary plus package, am interested in figuring out take-home money. What I don't know is the tax rate in China? The actual package seem "good-ish" but having to pay for 10%of two chidren's tuition will draw the salary down even more. Any thoughts? Any one at Harrow now?
PsyGuy

Complex question

Post by PsyGuy »

You picked the wrong time to ask that question. In the past the tax rate was so low as to be essentially zero. A new social security tax is supposed to be going into effect before next year. Whats really going to happen with it, and how much it will be isnt really known yet.

Officially the tax rate averages 25% (most teachers fit into that bracket), but you got just under a 5000 a month tax deduction/credit which usually made it almost zero.

Its pretty uncommon for a school in China to tax a tuition waiver, thats more the rule in europe. Even with the new social security tax, its supposed to be on salary, not all gross compensation. Setting that aside outside europe, a flat 10% tax on the waivers seems pretty high, and depending on the values of those could be another sizable chunk of change. We get students at our school (which is basically free) from other ISs because the tax on the tuition waivers is too big a bite.

worldtravlr should weigh in on this soon, hes in Beijing, and has his ear to the pavement there.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Harrow Beijing

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="ChoirGuy"]A post has recently come up here, and after looking at gross salary plus package, am interested in figuring out take-home money. What I don't know is the tax rate in China? The actual package seem "good-ish" but having to pay for 10%of two chidren's tuition will draw the salary down even more. Any thoughts? Any one at Harrow now?[/quote]

An experienced teacher with Masters is looking at around 21K rmb per month, net (as I understand it). It's a bit low compared to the top 5 or so schools but not bad. A family of 4 can live alright and save a bit. Housing is on campus (again, I believe) which could mean anything, so do some digging.

Harrow has an ok reputation in town. I've never really heard anything very good or bad about it in town.

Of the British schools, DCB or BSB are a much better bet.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Thanks both. I've got into the game a bit late for the Brit schools as I was focusing only on American schools in the beginning and missed out on Dulwich. Accommodation should be on the new campus opening in August; the tuition is more annoying than anything else. Still have to apply in any case, so won't worry too much yet. Thanks again.