be wary of paradise

morticia

be wary of paradise

Post by morticia »

From the schools that I have looked at that are in the Carribean and after just working in the Carribean it seems that Paradise is good for a visit and not worth living in. The pay is generally low, schools un air conditioned( and you do need it although most people who live here constantly say how wonderful the weather is :oops: )very high rents for security reasons as the crime rate and the corruption of the police is horrible,no life outside the school, except going to the beach, going to the beach if you have time that is as the school predominates the social life of everyone involved...there isnt anything else to do, oh, yes, the beach....people who have stuck it out are big fish in small ponds and dont like sharing it to outsiders :twisted: and the cost of travelling to other beautiful sites is nigh on impossible on the wage. Ah, but I had great memories of the beach!
Bertie

Caribbean

Post by Bertie »

Try Asia Paradise, Thailand Malaysia Nice..
Is this true for all the Caribbean? I have heard great things about US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Cayman. Had an offer once in Cayman like $65K USD tax free but did not take it cause wife is Thai and will not leave Asia.
morticia

Post by morticia »

I would live in Paradise again, but Asia is a continent with many lifestyles and things to learn about and cant be compared to an 86 mile circumference island. If one chooses to live on an island choose carefully,as St Croix is too small for comfort (size and options)and does not even have a strong tourist industry, as St Thomas does. If you like cheap booze and beaches it is great, but if you want a varied culture and open mindedness steer clear of this place.....I wish I had taken a position in the Caymans, that wage mentioned in the above email sounded pretty good and the culture is varied and interesting. If you read the evaluation of St Maarten, it sounds like the person had pretty much the same experience. To not go "island" crazy look at how good the transport is in getting off the island even for a weekend and if the wage you are earning will offer that, that would have made a huge difference. :idea: