PYP experience in high demand?

inman

PYP experience in high demand?

Post by inman »

As the value of IB experience is something often discussed on this board, I’ve now heard from a few people that those with PYP experience seemed to be in quite high demand at the London fair this year. The buddies of mine that were at the fair (who only have a couple of years PYP experience and a few years working with other curricula) said they’d never felt so wanted. Did anyone else get the same impression? Was this the case at other fairs or is the London fair THE fair to go to if you have PYP experience?

Regards,

Inman
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

The London fair is the "THE" european fair (mainly because it runs back to back with the COIS fair) but its after the BKK fair which tends to attract everyone whos a veteran, so admins and recruiters get excited about someone whos got the right fit.

Understand IB experience of any kind is strongly valued. Next to Dip. only programs, there are a lot of small PYP only schools, and someone who comes to the table needing as little mentoring as possible is going to be attractive to a recruiter.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
hallier

Post by hallier »

I'd be interested to hear other PYP teachers feedback about their first year teaching the PYP. In my experience, it took a fair while to get my head around the programme - with its concepts, essential elements, transdisciplinary themes, attributes, attitudes etc etc etc.

I suspect this is why schools place a high premium on teachers who have done it before, as those teachers have gone through those difficult first years and are ready to build on their understanding of the PYP. As Psyguy said, they'd need far less mentoring (and really expensive PD) than newbies to the PYP.

Of course, this is not to say that teachers who are new to PYP can not do it very well - but I can understand schools being very interested in talking to experienced PYP teachers at job fairs.

On another point, I have noticed that some schools who are not PYP are placing an increased emphasis on teaching inter-disciplinary inquiry units in their elementary schools. Teachers with PYP experience have been doing this so this would make them attractive to those schools as well.

I am not sure that the London fairs would be a whole lot different to other fairs in wanting PYP experience. It is possible that the London fair (esp the Search one) may have a greater % of IB world schools. However, a heap of IB World schools went to BKK and did a lot of their recruiting there. They'd value PYP experience just as much.

If I was looking for a PYP position and I could get to Bkk, that's where I'd go. I'd be nervous about waiting for London, as a lot of the vacancies may have been snapped up already.

The conundrum, I guess, is that a lot of the European schools may not attend BKK (or if they do, not be in a position to offer contracts). If that's the case, London comes into play if you are focused on Europe. Also, BKK does have a lot of very experienced candidates, so if you are less experienced, London may also come into play (esp. if you are based in Europe already). Less experienced candidates in SE Asia could look at Sydney or Hong Kong as alternatives to BKK, I suppose.

This recruiting business is not simple, that's for sure! But it is helpful to have PYP experience - no doubt about that! If you do not, I suggest you read up on inquiry teaching - google Kath Murdoch, or Kathy Short, or the Harvard Graduate School of Education Visible Thinking resources. Lots of good talking points for your interviews can be gleaned from there.
PsyGuy

Humm

Post by PsyGuy »

Ive seen experienced primary teachers who cant wrap their heads around PYP. We have one teacher whos been trained since last year, who 'gets it' academically, but you just dont 'see it' in her classroom. I get the feeling she goes through the motions, but internally shes fighting it (I think coming from a grade 6, elementary background, may have something to do with it). The concepts, behind PYP arent really that complex or hard, but internalizing it is the key difference, and thats why many recruiters want to see actual successful PYP experience in teachers.

Sydney and Hong Kong are not really competitive fairs. they are where Search sounds newbies, who would be frustrated with their outcomes in BK. Get into the earliest "super fair" (In order, Bangkok, Cambridge, London) that you can. Your just more likely to do better and have more options the earlier in the year you can get yourself in front of the most recruiters, when the largest pool of vacancies is available.

The smaller "regional fairs like Sydney, Hong Kong, Dubai, etc just offer convenience to those more localized. They are smaller, and are more weighted towards lower tier schools then the elite schools. Of course if you dont have to travel there is little reason not to go. If you live in Hong Kong, going to the Hong Kong fair requires little more then the $50 fee, you dont have to book airfare or a hotel room. Many people I met at the Sydney fair where actually from Sydney. If your seriously looking for a job though you really need to plan at being at one of the three super fairs though.

The same applies to the schools when it comes to the smaller regional fairs, you see a stronger representation of them among the recruiters because their attendance is convenient for them.
tck4life

Post by tck4life »

Interesting observations about your PYP teacher "just not getting it." I believe that would mean that you would have to work at the International School of Copenhagen as it is the only PYP program listed on the IBO website, and yet I'm pretty sure you don't work for that particular Head of school. So, here we go again with a concocted story meant to pass on made up advice/knowledge. and please don't attribute my post to anyone else. I am not a new member to the forum, just don't often feel impelled to weigh in on subjects when they are being honestly discussed.
tck4life

Post by tck4life »

Interesting observations about your PYP teacher "just not getting it." I believe that would mean that you would have to work at the International School of Copenhagen as it is the only PYP program listed on the IBO website, and yet I'm pretty sure you don't work for that particular Head of school. So, here we go again with a concocted story meant to pass on made up advice/knowledge. and please don't attribute my post to anyone else. I am not a new member to the forum, just don't often feel impelled to weigh in on subjects when they are being honestly discussed.
PsyGuy

Getting it

Post by PsyGuy »

ISC is also a private school.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

[quote="hallier"]I'd be interested to hear other PYP teachers feedback about their first year teaching the PYP. In my experience, it took a fair while to get my head around the programme - with its concepts, essential elements, transdisciplinary themes, attributes, attitudes etc etc etc.
[/quote]

Definitely, it took at least half a school year to feel comfortable with the terminology and philosophy and how that translates into the classroom. I can now understand why many IB schools won't interview people without IB experience, it is just a massive undertaking of training and resources to get a newbie up to speed, and realistically the first year is mostly a learning year.
PsyGuy

Logistics

Post by PsyGuy »

Being the academic/IB coordinator, one of the problems I had (though couldnt really do anything about it, and what Im planing for now next year), and an issue that is prevalent in ISs is training schedules. A school with new teachers coming just doesnt really have the time to spend a month before school starts to really train new teachers unfamiliar with IB philosophy. Teachers barely arrive in time to breath and get their homes settled, and paperwork taken care of before the couple days of PD and students arrival. Unless a school also has a sizable inexperienced group of new teachers starting its not really practical either.

If next year is like last year, we had 9 new faculty, and id like to put together a training program of at least 2 weeks before school starts. Have them start August 1, let them get situated, and figure out the basics and then spend 2-3 weeks just training, but it would never happen.
hallier

Post by hallier »

[quote="tck4life"]Interesting observations about your PYP teacher "just not getting it." I believe that would mean that you would have to work at the International School of Copenhagen as it is the only PYP program listed on the IBO website, and yet I'm pretty sure you don't work for that particular Head of school. So, here we go again with a concocted story meant to pass on made up advice/knowledge. [/quote]

Well spotted - the only school offering the PYP in Denmark is Copenhagen Int School. CIS (not ISC!).

And they have a female DP coordinator.

No municipal school in Denmark offers the PYP, according to the IBO website - http://www.ibo.org/school/search/index. ... hools=Find
PsyGuy

Anonymity

Post by PsyGuy »

What part of "I like my anonymity" is confusing?

ISC is the generic form and abbreviation for the International School (IS) in Copenhagen.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Anonymity

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]What part of "I like my anonymity" is confusing?[/quote]

I think what he is saying is that some piece of information (e.g. country, exact position, shape of birthmark, secret handshake) has been deliberately altered or obfuscated in order to confuse his enemies, angry ex-girlfriends, creditors and/or potential paternity suits.
PsyGuy

LOL

Post by PsyGuy »

LOL, but I wasnt drinking tea that time.