What is, in your opinion, the worst country to teach at
as a single teacher?
missy

Post by missy »

*bump*
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Male or female? or both?

I've taught in countries that were incredible for men, but a total bummer for females.
PsyGuy

My list

Post by PsyGuy »

Gender plays a pretty big role, if your into the single scene. Many places in Asia, practically cater to men, where if your a single woman, you might want to bring a couple of cats with you, because nothings happening.

My BOTTOM 5 places:

1) Worst place, Mongolia. Its just dead, might as well be Sibera (without the russian models). There is nothing there, and the climate is miserable.

2) I dont have a lot of good things to say about the middle east or egypt either (I hate Cairo). Its all just one big repressive desert, too many rules, not enough fun. If your a homebody, or one of those family types and just want to spend time at home with the spouse and kids, and pretty much just live a very sheltered life, you could be fine.

3) Central/South America can be great (and Brazil really has the most beautiful woman in the world), but pick a region where theres any type of drug war going on, and then id draw a big red line through it. I have issues where teachers get mugged outside of school at gun point. Pick pockets I can deal with, getting dead, not so much.

4) Anywhere in Africa outside Capetown, mostly west africa. Ok the wildlife is awe inspiring, but theres too much poverty and not nearly enough modernization. Yeah theres a night life, but im pretty sure almost every native in the country has aids (ok not seriously, but close). For people that are into the whole third world country/peace corp, make a difference in a part of the world that really needs it, OK thats your thing. Not me.

5) Singapore, actually one of my favorite places, but after 3 months suffers from being the most boring place Ive ever worked. The first 3 months are great because everythings so easy, but then you realize your broke all the time, because there is NOTHING to do that doesnt involve eating out, shopping and going to the beach (Sentosa), and none of those are free. Singapore is just one big island mall. If you have kids that are teenagers they will love it. Singapore is basically hipster central. Everyone is trying to live the kind of lifestyle that you see in magazine adds.
nikkor

Re: My list

Post by nikkor »

Hey Psyguy,

First of all, thank you for keeping things lively around here. I love your moxy. With the heat that you are currently getting on other threads, I'm impressed that you are throwing out more possibly-offensive-to-some comments (OK, I think that comment about Africans with AIDS is out of line - but lets not go there, I don't want to police you).

Anyway, the real reason I brought up the Africa thing- have you heard anything about the Lincoln School in Ghana? I recently spoke with an employee there who spoke very highly of the admin, the school and living in Africa in general. Personally, I would give it a shot. Maybe Africa isn't such a bad place, for some.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I have a single friend who worked at Lincoln. He loved it there, but once again he is male.

I lived in two Latin American countries that are smack dab in the middle of the drug war. I had incredible times in both countries, just made smart decisions of my activities and locations visited. These two countries are considered two of the most dangerous in the world and in five years I didn't have a problem. Colombia is amazing in tons of different ways. For single men it's paradise, but single females I know reported having a great time too.

Psy you must never have been to Colombia, because everyone knows Colombianas are the most beautiful in the world.
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

Worst place? Difficult as even places that I wouldn't return to now I enjoyed at the time. I think most places are ok for a year or 2. For me the big problem would be climate, I've avoided South East Asia for that reason - way too hot and sticky.

I wouldn't return to Kuwait, it was good fun at the time lots of house parties and trips to Dubai and Bahrain. But after a couple of years you get a bit fed up seeing the same people every weekend at every p-a-r-t-y (don't know why that word's not allowed) and as a single female there wasn't much to do, we weren't even able to stay in beach hotels as we didn't have a male relative with us.

Safety is also a concern. I had a great few years in Ecuador but having people shot dead outside your apartment and friends shot makes you wonder whether it's worth the risk. Saying that though, it was an amazing country, possibly one of the best places I've ever been.
flyingrob31

Post by flyingrob31 »

@ likestotravel

What countries were incredible for a single guy?
PsyGuy

Comments

Post by PsyGuy »

@liketotravel

Not everyone, never heard a Brazilian say that...

Of course when the one Brazilian woman I dated was in her blue and white bikini, or in a dress, or a tshirt and short shorts, or, well it didnt really matter because i wasnt really paying attention to what she was saying most of the time, my attention was always elsewhere.

@flyingrob31

Top spot for single guys. Toss up between Thailand and the Philippines. Indonesia's good if you can deal with Jakarta. In western europe Italy. Eastern Europe Iceland. South America, Brazil but no one complains about Columbia. Then theres the guys (myself included) that just have a thing for J.girls.

@nikkor

For me the three most important attributes for a teacher and educator are patience, persistence, and a thick teflon skin. Besides that my nemeses have to actually be right.

Cant help you much about the school directly. Cairo was a long time ago, and i've only visited Capetown once on holiday.

That said if the admin, and school are so great why doesnt everyone know about it? As Margaret Thatcher once said "Power is like being a lady... if you have to tell people you are, you aren't." I like to think of a schools reputation the same way.
Second, just because its great for someone working there doesnt mean its going to be great for you. This employee could be the admin cheerleader for all you know and everyone else is miserable and locked up in the basement in chains, eating gruel.

Postal Script:
*Looking around* [OK really dont tell anyone, but in reality just about anywhere is doable for two years. Everyones got what I call the "camp" story. The "its miserable, the pay is lousy, the housing is old and dirty, the students are all spoiled, the admins are all insane", but people make relationships, and bond over their shared suffering. Everyones got one, and maybe everyone needs one. Cant say id be better or worse with out my nearly 2 months in Cairo, but if I hadnt I wouldnt have needed to do a runner to Thailand, so who knows].
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Colombia, Honduras, Taiwan and Cambodia can be quite lively for the single guy. On the other hand of the four countries, Colombia would only be fun for the single girl.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

If Dennis Larkin is still the Lincoln School superintendent then the admin is very good. I would work for him again in a heartbeat.
hallier

Post by hallier »

[quote="Overhere"]If Dennis Larkin is still the Lincoln School superintendent then the admin is very good. I would work for him again in a heartbeat.[/quote]

There Sec School Principal, Geoff Smith, is also a gem. Really good man.
indogal

Post by indogal »

I can second that. I worked for Geoff Smith in Jakarta. Great guy. While I would never go back to Indonesia (not a fun place for females!), I would love to work with Geoff again.