Bruneibound

Jerudong International School

Post by Bruneibound »

Any information on this school would be helpful

Thanks
Jody

JIS

Post by Jody »

I have friends in Brunei- They say the school excellent but very British- only hire people from UK or OZ or NZ. Has good reputation in Brunei Ok salery and benifits but best in Brunei. Stay away from the other school- International school of Brunei heard some really bad things and it has negative reviews. Brunei is surronded by Malaysia and Malaysia is great. Go for it!
guestwriter

International school of Brunei

Post by guestwriter »

Just curious:
What bad things did you hear about this school?
Any other comments?
Rover

Post by Rover »

There is a long thread on the place here...

http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/ ... 0Overseas/
Last edited by Rover on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guestwriter

International school of Brunei

Post by guestwriter »

Hi,
I tried to find that thread, but I couldn't access it.
What is the low down on the school?

Thank you!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Link amended. You should be able to access it easily now by clicking on it.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

I know this is 5 years later, but have just been offered an interview with Jerudong. Some quick questions:

1. they provide housing - is it furnished? utilities paid? close to the school?

2. is there a limit on what point on the scale you enter - have 13 years experience, but will I be starting on, say, point 6, because that's the highest they let anyone start?

3. cost of living compared to Bangkok?

4. Can my non-qualified wife get a teaching post? (she worked for 5 years in Taipei as a Mandarin teacher, but without "proper" teaching certificate).

These are the first set before we even decide to interview...I'm sure more questions will follow.

Thanks for any replies.
MC1977

Post by MC1977 »

Hi ChoirGuy

I applied for a primary position but have not heard back from them yet. When did you send off your application?

On another note I see you are planning to leave Bangkok, so can you let me know if any of the better schools there are in what could be described as nicer parts of the city? I am looking for my first international post and I've got a young daughter so I'm looking for reasons not to dismiss Bangkok as an option!

Thanks
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Have now been offered an interview, but it is in Secondary...

Bangkok - my family (2 daughters and wife) love it. We're at what (I believe) is considered a Tier 2 school - Shrewsbury - and have had a wonderful 4 years. The only problem has been one "major issue" a year it seems - H1N1, closing of the airport for a month or two, political unrest, flooding. All of these, though, seem to be things that many international school teachers undergo during their time abroad.
In terms of "better schools", you will get different answers from everyone. I rate Shrewsbury highly, more so in the Primary than the Secondary; ISB has "the package", but is further away from the city center; NIST is IN the city center; Harrow is far outside the city again and was hit heavily by the floods; Patana has a wonderful campus, but it's huge and they definitely get their money's worth out of you (but what school doesn't?); all the "Saint" schools - seem to have small school problems.

In the end, it comes down to what you're looking for; if it's location close to the center of the city, go NIST or Shrewsbury; if it's a beautiful community feel, go ISB; if it's resources and facilities, go Patana; as a first-timer, it might mean one of the Saints to start.

If you have specific questions about Shrewsbury, I can answer with more authority, but apply everywhere - Bangkok itself is great, with low cost of living, great food and shopping and a "relaxed" attitude towards life.
dpurple

BKK schools

Post by dpurple »

Interesting comments re various BKK schools. Having worked at a few of them, the most enjoyable ie students, work load is Ruamrudee; And after being there a few years, the salary is pretty good (over B100,000 plus provident fund). Interestingly, the IB results are "usually" the best around.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi Dpurple,

I forgot about Ruamrudee! Yes...a school with a very good reputation as well, but not sure about the location and pay; good information for the person asking.

With all of this, I realised something - it also needs to be said that Shrewsbury is A levels ONLY at the top; NIST is IB all through; Patana both (?) at the top end, Brit NC below; not sure about Ruamrudee; ISB American, through and through with IB at the top...
HoraceMann

Post by HoraceMann »

I hope you will pardon the mini-hijack...
But since I have finally found some people with first hand BKK experience, I was hoping you might be able to tell me some info on ICS.
The reviews on ISR are, for the most part, old.
Any recent information on salary, package, housing, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-HM
MC1977

Post by MC1977 »

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

ChoirGuy it seems that there are quite a few positions available at Shrewsbury, is this the normal turnover or has something happened? I want to look at it positively but thought I'd check with you before sending off my application!
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi MC1977,

Actually, there is pretty low staff turnover at SHB...we have 180 staff, so the number is pretty low.
I'm leaving for personal reasons (trying to get into an American system, though that's not going so well!), and if you're applying to the Junior Section, you'll be happy in your first contract, as they allow new staff time to settle in as long as you do your job well. The Senior School is fine in many ways as well, but the new Head (this year) has not acquitted himself well (yet). Maybe with time.

Definitely apply and if you get an interview, you can decide whether you agree/disagree with the Principal's vision for the school. Again, if Senior School, you'll have to deal withe the Head of Secondary, and that would be my only caveat to working at the school.
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

[quote="ChoirGuy"]Hi MC1977,

Actually, there is pretty low staff turnover at SHB...we have 180 staff, so the number is pretty low.
I'm leaving for personal reasons (trying to get into an American system, though that's not going so well!), and if you're applying to the Junior Section, you'll be happy in your first contract, as they allow new staff time to settle in as long as you do your job well. The Senior School is fine in many ways as well, but the new Head (this year) has not acquitted himself well (yet). Maybe with time.

Definitely apply and if you get an interview, you can decide whether you agree/disagree with the Principal's vision for the school. Again, if Senior School, you'll have to deal withe the Head of Secondary, and that would be my only caveat to working at the school.[/quote]

Can you tell me what is the basic salary for a teacher with 10years experience at Shrewsbury please?

thanks a lot