Teacher market mid-February to April ????

missy

Teacher market mid-February to April ????

Post by missy »

Now that some of the big fairs are over,
I am wondering if there will still be openings mid-February to April ?
I ask this because it seems that many have indicated that
there were too many new teachers with little experience at the job fairs
and that the Directors were not pleased.
Does this mean there will still be lots of openings ?
I hope so as I am still searching!
shopgirl

Post by shopgirl »

i may be on the same boat as you missy. i don't have a lot of international teaching experience but i have a few years of teaching experience. in terms of jobs, there are always jobs because of change of circumstances - someone having a baby, someone's husband moving overseas etc. i've gotten jobs because of those so i don't think that we should lose hope. :) i also assume that 'changing of the mind' happens a bit more in the international school scene so here's me keeping my fingers crossed...
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="shopgirl"]i may be on the same boat as you missy. i don't have a lot of international teaching experience but i have a few years of teaching experience. in terms of jobs, there are always jobs because of change of circumstances - someone having a baby, someone's husband moving overseas etc. i've gotten jobs because of those so i don't think that we should lose hope. :) i also assume that 'changing of the mind' happens a bit more in the international school scene so here's me keeping my fingers crossed...[/quote]

Having monitored the int'l job scene every year for quite a few years (even when I am not actively looking), there will always be a fair amount of late jobs, even at the better schools.

Then it is just a matter of being available and at the right place/right time (on top of actually being qualified for the job, of course).

Keep your eyes open and don't lose hope.
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

I am in a similar position. I have got ten years of teaching/HoD experience (no international though). In addition, I have not had the chance to get into the January London fair which is a bummer. Let's wait and see.
jessd82

Post by jessd82 »

I hope this might mean something good for me. I can't take off time to attend fairs in my current position. I don't have international school experience, but I have worked in local schools in different countries (not ESL, but as a classroom teacher in a European school), which I don't think has "counted". Any ideas what directors/heads think of that?

If there are many new teachers without much expereience at all I'd hope my CV and cover letter are making it to the right places for opening in my field. I hate feeling resigned to my current position.
miscitch

Same Boat

Post by miscitch »

I was at UNI ...my first fair. Very stressful and a great learning experience. I had 9 interviews and only 2 offers for schools really not interested in. What are my next steps? I am k-8 Science/math with a masters in instructional technology. 13 years experience in the public schools. I even applied for some of the tech positions.
I am hoping some of the experienced members could give advise on what my next steps should be. Really do not want to be in my current position next year.
HELP! LOL
miscitch

ooops

Post by miscitch »

Besides spelling and sentence structure. Sorry!
PsyGuy

Strategies

Post by PsyGuy »

First shake off the stress and fear, those will paralyze you. Your at a point where your feeling your self worth and self esteem at a low point. Here is the reality the Fair is not the end of the world, about half the job placements world wide happen after the Boston fair. So heres what you do.

1) THE SAME THING YOU DID BEFORE THE FAIR... Really nothing has changed, you still keep searching, and applying. This is a game of persistence, you only loose when you give up. The fair was a "formative" event not a "summative" event.

2) You might want to consider joining an agency like Search/ISS. You need access to a large number of schools quickly and efficiently. This will maximize your job search energies.

3) You need to examine your own expectations. You had two offers, and you didnt want to be there. I get it im the same way, but would those places have been better then were you are? Essentially you need to start considering a "plan B" a school may not be the perfect fit or your dream job for you, but what would be a BETTER fit then where you are now? From personal experience, i can tell you that a LOT, and I mean A LOT of even third tier schools are better then an inner city public school back in the USA.

4) The next really BIG hiring fair called the "summer scramble" is Searches fair in Bethesda at the end of June. Its the last chance for schools to fill there remaining vacancies. People get offered contracts waiting in the sign up line.

5) You need to talk to someone about what you MAY be doing wrong. Have someone look at your resume, someone with international education experience (if you join Search your associate can do this). Talk about your interview experiences, maybe you dont interview well.

**UPDATE** My recommendation would be Search over ISS. Search just has more schools (700) where ISS has about 150. Search is $200 for three years, and ISS is $185 for 2 years. Searches 1st fair is free, and each additional fair is $50. ISS charges $290 for all the fairs in a season (but who can afford to travel that much).
Last edited by PsyGuy on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikkor

Re: Same Boat

Post by nikkor »

psyguy alluded to it, but I think that going with Search over ISS would be a good advantage in this situation. For a well-qualified first time candidate without intl experience, an associate can give great advice and possibly get his info in front of the right people.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

I agree with the advice to go with Search vs. ISS. Search in my experience was much more helpful, and they do offer the last fair... Have been sorely disappointed with ISS.
shopgirl

Post by shopgirl »

is it worth it to join search now to look for a job beginning in august?
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

I cannot honestly answer that question, however, I would suggest that you call an associate, or e-mail one for your region. Ask them their honest opintion. I bet you get a response. I had 2 associates from Search actually take the time to talk with me over the phone and guide me through some decision making processes. This in spite of the fact that I was clear with them that I had signed up with ISS. Their suggestions and guidance were right on the money. IF i ever have need of such an agency again... I will go with Search.
PsyGuy

Depends

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends what your looking for. The rest of the fairs are pretty small for the rest of the year. The database is the big thing anyway. If your focused on a very small region, or only a few top tier schools, you can do the work for yourself. For instance there are only 3 schools in France, and you could easily google those schools and bookmark them and check there employment status on your own. If your open to a broad search area, or need to be efficient in identifying low demand positions. Search can make the process more efficient and allow you to jump on vacancies quickly. Personally I think its easily worth it. Its only February, and your Search membership is good for 3 years.
miscitch

TY

Post by miscitch »

For all the advice! Have signed with search associates.
I am also with TIE,
Joyjobs,
Dave ESL,
teach abroad,
Uni ( they are still posting jobs)
Teach away,
Council of international schools,
Educators overseas,
TRI, Association of American schools in South America
Disney Schools
...might have missed a couple on this list..LOL
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

I hope youre successful, if for some reason your not, at least no one will be able to say you didnt give it your best shot.

Lastly, dont be too over dependent on job aggregators (like Search, Joy, TIE, etc), many positions never get posted on anything more then the schools own HR website. You might want to great a Bookmark page of your top pick schools and just visit their HR websites regulrley.