Counselor positions

centennial95

Counselor positions

Post by centennial95 »

I've seen some school counselors on here and have a quick question about counseling positions at international schools. I was just wondering what generally the requirements are for counselors at international schools. (education, experience, certification etc.)
PsyGuy

Basics

Post by PsyGuy »

Masters degree, certification/license and a couple years of experience. You need to either be a certified counselor OR a licensed school psychologist, it would a nice bonus if you were, both, or at least had some Diag training. more and more schools (ok many of them) also want you to have college advising/counselor experience.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

Last edited by vincentchase on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Certification is not necessarily required.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

Pretty much what PsyGuy said. M. Ed. In Counseling or a Master's degree related to mental health plus certification to practice is a must. Experience in schools and/or working with children/adolescents is generally preferred by the Tier 1/2 schools.
lparker

counselor

Post by lparker »

I am a school psychologist and the schools I have emailed directly have appeared very interested. I assume this is because I have several years of psychoeducational testing.
nancyt

Post by nancyt »

Some (many) schools will hire you without certification, but a Master's Degree is essential. You don't say what level you are looking at. There are different things schools are looking for at different levels. Perhaps more than other positions, your "fit" is taken into consideration more. If they need new blood they might hire someone inexperienced. If they need a more experienced person they will go that route. If they have trouble filling a counseling position they are likely to take just about anyone - experienced or not. Male/female is important too.

I have worked with social workers, psychologists (not as a masters), former english teachers, and clinical counselors (with virtually online certification) all in the role of "school counselor"
psychris

Post by psychris »

As you probably know, based on my freak out this past weekend, I'm a school psych and I just returned from the Search fair in Cambridge. I found that the majority of schools looking for counselors had very specific criteria for the candidates they would even consider hiring. For example, I was really interested in the primary counselor position at UNIS Hanoi, but the recruiter told me he was looking for an early childhood counselor to work with children ages 2-4 and their parents. I said I didn't think I was qualified for that job.

At all.

Many schools were looking for counselors with a lot of college counseling experience (though I talked to a couple of high school counselors and they said it wasn't very difficult) and some recruiters told me straight up that they would only consider someone with a degree in counseling. After the early sign up session on Thursday, I began to mentally prepare myself to leave on Sunday without a job.

Fortunately, some of the better schools at the fair were willing to entertain my ramblings about being psychologist specializing in mental health issues and classroom management, and I was able to convince a few of them. I only had four interviews all weekend, but three were interested.

So in terms of qualifications, different schools are looking for different things.

And yes Nancy, I concur that being a male was a HUGE topic of discussion, especially when speaking with the Chinese schools. The Chinese schools loved that I was a man and both recruiters brought it up several times (I'm pretty sure my new principal even sent a picture of me to her staff, which was a little weird, but I was okay with it).

Apparently, there are a lot of lonely women in China.

Additionally, a lot of fathers at my new school, and I think international schools in general, aren't around very much and providing stable, positive male role models is something schools are always striving for.
psychris

Post by psychris »

Sorry, I didn't really answer the original question.

Education: Masters in counseling, school psychology, or social work

Experience: 2+ years in school settings (I spent some time with a woman still in grad school for college counseling and she left with two interviews and no offers). Madrid was looking for a psych with 10 years experience, which I thought was a pretty lofty goal, considering I think I was the only psych there this weekend. Most schools wanted at least 3 years full-time experience.

Certifications: Counseling (good), School Psychology (okay), Teaching + Counseling (great), Counseling + School Psychology (Amazing), Counseling + School Psychology + Teaching (really, Australia, you REALLY have people with this? Seriously?)
centennial95

Post by centennial95 »

Thanks everyone. I am not licensed (as a counselor, anyways). That's why I was asking. I do have a Masters Degree in Counseling Psych, and am a licensed classroom teacher (5 years and counting...).

Here in the US, I considered going back to school for school counseling, but then I would have to do another internship year, meagerly paid, and I wasn't ready for that...

But the world of psychology is still calling me....
psychris

Post by psychris »

You could probably get an international job.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

[quote="psychris"]As you probably know, based on my freak out this past weekend, I'm a school psych and I just returned from the Search fair in Cambridge. I found that the majority of schools looking for counselors had very specific criteria for the candidates they would even consider hiring. For example, I was really interested in the primary counselor position at UNIS Hanoi, but the recruiter told me he was looking for an early childhood counselor to work with children ages 2-4 and their parents. I said I didn't think I was qualified for that job.

At all.

Many schools were looking for counselors with a lot of college counseling experience (though I talked to a couple of high school counselors and they said it wasn't very difficult) and some recruiters told me straight up that they would only consider someone with a degree in counseling. After the early sign up session on Thursday, I began to mentally prepare myself to leave on Sunday without a job.

Fortunately, some of the better schools at the fair were willing to entertain my ramblings about being psychologist specializing in mental health issues and classroom management, and I was able to convince a few of them. I only had four interviews all weekend, but three were interested.

So in terms of qualifications, different schools are looking for different things.
[/quote]
This was my experience as well last year at Cambridge. I had only 3 or 4 interviews (can't remember off the top of my head) but they were all very good and they were all willing to talk to somebody w/ mental health experience, as long as there was school/child experience. Some schools told me that they'd have a hard time getting me a visa since my degree wasn't in counseling. Really weird since other schools in the same region/country didn't think this would be an issue at all.

I am learning LOADS from our college counselor here and since I'm the whole school counselor (for the social/emotional stuff) I'm getting to know the ins/outs of IB (PYP thru DP) so this will definitely help me in my next search.
PsyGuy

Options

Post by PsyGuy »

I think your qualified, but you might want to explore getting certified/licensed outside the USA. In several countries the license requirement is pretty much just a masters degree. No extra coursework or programs to go through. It could be a fast and inexpensive "inside track".
centennial95

Post by centennial95 »

Wow, now there is an idea PsyGuy, I hadn't even considered...
PsyGuy

Globalization

Post by PsyGuy »

If your going to be an international teacher, you might want to start thinking globally...

Id look at requirements in the various provinces of Canada and then Australia to start, then move over to western europe.

When I was looking at doing my doctorate all the USA schools were 7-10 years, with a lot of coursework. In the UK my program was 3 years, and it was just my dissertation.