Certification vs. Master's Degree

Me

Certification vs. Master's Degree

Post by Me »

I have been teaching ESL at an International school for 3 years. I am ESL certified, but I am not a licensed teacher in the U.S. I taught at 2 other schools (unaccredited) prior to this one. I would like to move from teaching ESL to teaching in the mainstream elementary classroom. I have been working on my Master?s degree in Education and have taken advantage of all of the professional development activities that I could.
We are thinking of moving on next year, but I am worried that I will have a difficult time finding a position without licensure. We thought about going back to the U.S. so I can complete a teacher training program, but we would really rather not do this.
Will some schools hire me with just a Master?s degree?
Are there any programs where I can get licensure without returning to the US?
If it helps, we are a teaching couple who have lived and taught abroad for 5 years in 2 different countries. My spouse is a licensed high school teacher and will also have a Master?s of Education.
anon ESL teacher

question/comment

Post by anon ESL teacher »

I am also an ESL teacher who is certified in the U.S. and has a M.Ed degree (in Tesol). Please clarify your situation with being certified, but not a licensed teacher in the U.S. Are you not certifed as a K-12 ESL teacher in the state you are from? I know states recognize ESL certification differently - a stand-alone degree and certification or some add-on certitification or credential. Explain your situation. Will this degree you are working on lead to certification (or help you get) in the U.S. state that this university is in?

Personally, I think you would have a lot to offer an international school as a teacher who has ESL experience and a can teach elemenary ed. Many, if not most, of the 'Amrican' or international schools out there have a huge host country student population. While many of these students might not be deemed ESL students, many are English language learners in some way. Good strategies for ELLs are best practices for all students.

The Fast Train Program at Gerorge Mason University will help you get elementary certification in Virginia - summer study and an online course. I have looked into it because I am also thinking about doing the same thing want to do. I don't know if I really need to do this though as I have taught for 3 years as a classroom teacher (different country) and I do a lot of push-in/inclusion/team teaching now. I think a school might take a chance on me if I want to go down this road and I think the experience will speak for itself later. What I have been told is that many (not all, I know) schools want a teacher who is certified. Well, I am.

Post by Guest »

Most International schools will hire you regardless of being US certified/licensed or not.

A lot of other countries around the world do not require the teachers license you are talking about. Its usually only in the American schools located overseas that require it.

Most International schools will hire you if you have a degree in something and like the thought of teaching. It also helps if you are a native English speaker, white and can stand up!! :lol: I have worked with many 'teachers' around the world who had a degree that wasn't related to Education and were happily teaching at the High School level. I have also heard of 'teachers' who are teaching at International schools who have only graduated from High School themselves. :cry: Sad but true.

Also, some school will pay you more if you have a Masters- regardless once again whether you are trained in Education or not.

So- I don't think you will have any problems being hired!
Real Teacher

Post by Real Teacher »

Yeah Guest...umm....right...

OP, if you want to work for any REPUTABLE school, whether it is an 'international' or 'American' school, you should be advised to get an education and to have a degree.
Me

Post by Me »

I do have an education and I only have 2 courses left before I will have a Master's degree in education. My question is: How difficult it is to get a job at an international school without being licensed in the US? The school that I am at now is reputable, but I am teaching ESL (I have ESL certification). I would like to be an elementary classroom teacher. Can I do this with a Master's in Education, but no licensure?