I'm so sick & tired

jpolanco

I'm so sick & tired

Post by jpolanco »

Hi all, I've lived in Kuwait for 13 years. I am married to a Kuwaiti so I am here for the long haul. I teach in a private American school in Kuwait and for the most part I am very happy. But to be honest with you I am really sick and tired of listening to all the complaints of the overseas hires. Most come to this country because it's a good financial deal there are no lofty humanitarian reasons for wanting to teach in an oil-rich state. Yet the minute you get here until you leave all you do is verbally trash everything about your host country. Please if you don't like just leave. The kids feel it, the parents feel, and most of all the people who live here and love it are sick of listening to it. It's not the best place in the world but its home and I'm tired of all the derogatory, negative, racist and prejudice comments. Go home, pay for your own apartment and be happy if you think it's so bad here. If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. Go somewhere else and be somebody elses problem. The kids deserve better.
Been there

Complaints

Post by Been there »

I found the last entry insightful and probably a much needed vent of frustration for the author. It ultimately comes down to who is to blame if a person is unhappy. Is it the person themselves or their surrounding environment?

In my own case I taught in Kuwait for two years, honored my contract, and left. I felt that the recruiters had been honest with me about the culture and parents of the school. However, the bigotry and racism that I saw exercised by many a Kuwaiti on their fellow man, would have been impossible to ignore without a single complaint for two whole years. I am after all only human.

I sympathize with Jponalco's viewpoint, many teachers could be rude, insensitive and unrealistic in their expectations. However, so could many Kuwaiti nationals.

In the end I would offer simple advice, I expect that those who complain loudly to you do so thinking that anyone they are complaining to is sympathetic. If it is possible, simply tell the offending parties that you do not appreciate the light in which they cast your adopted country. You might even suggest that they become aware of whom they are speaking in front of before lamblasting a country.

One of the purposes that this forum serves is to let people offer opinions anonymously. They would be well served to come here to share their unhappiness. I am sure they will find some support, and can do so without the level of personal offense they cause when complaining vocally and directly to others.
whiners

Another teacher in Kuwait

Post by whiners »

I see your point. I teach in Kuwait and for the most part, like my school and students a lot. I have met a lot of whiners overseas, people who seem like they would not be happy anywhere they teach. It's sad and it hurts the morale of the school where they teach. No place is perfect and Kuwait does have its faults like any other country. I also wish that people would just leave if they are not happy.
student guest

Post by student guest »

I was a student in Colombo International School Sri Lanka, and I appreciate the comments I read on this thread. I loved my teachers, but there were a few who would let comments fly about how awfully backward and difficult Sri Lanka was etc etc. Yes, people areallowed to complain or to make their opinions known but I want to agree with the points you all brought up: it ultimately hurts the students too, which at all costs should be avoided. If there are attitudes among the students that are undesirable (eg. racism and such) then these issues should be addressed, but not in the form of complaints. Teachers are guides and molders, and they should encourage and inspire students.