Bangkok on 90,000 Baht with Two Dependents

IAMBOG

Bangkok on 90,000 Baht with Two Dependents

Post by IAMBOG »

I have a possible offer from a school in Bangkok. The salary is 90,000 baht including housing plus medical and flights every two years. I currently have two dependents.

I only have one year full time teaching experience, which happens to be at an international school, so a lot of the better schools are not exactly leaping out of their chairs when they look at my resume.

We'll only have to survive on one salary for a year, as my partner will be able to work full time the second year we are there (we are a teaching couple), so we'll be up to 180,000 baht a month then.

Given that we have limited experience, does this sound okay?

The school checks out and the current teachers seems to like it.
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

Will your children be educated free at the school? Education can be expensive in BKK if not.

It does depend on the lifestyle that you lead but BKK is great value for money and 90K can go a long way.

I lived there for two years, earned 55K as a single man, had no rent to pay, lived well (non-western style) and still saved 30K of that a month.

If you kept an eye on your expenditure the first year you could live OK, and laughing with two incomes the second...
PsyGuy

TAKE IT

Post by PsyGuy »

TAKE IT, with your limited experience, you will be making BIG money. A lot of teachers are getting by on a third of that (though not at IS's). It is doubtful you will get a better offer, with as much savings potential. You wouldn't even need a second income really.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Thanks guys.

Yes, education for our child is free at the school. Also, 90,000 baht is net salary.

The deal we have at the moment in our current school is a bit better (cost of living being roughly the same as Thailand), but the country isn't nearly as appealing as Thailand!
inman

Post by inman »

With all the other benefits included (school feed paid for and housing included) you'll be fine on 90K. In Bangkok it's easy to live off much less than that if you need to. With there being 4 you you can expect to have a good quality of life but not so much for savings. When your other half starts working then you'll be able to save some real money.

It's worth noting that cars are very expensive in Thailand so depending on the location of the school you might want to bear that in mind. If you're in central Bangkok then that wouldn't be an issue as the public transport systems are ok (though I wouldn't want to be on there often with my whole family) and central Bangkok taxi drivers know where they're going most of the time. But it certainly becomes more of an issue the further out of town you go. Taxis are cheap but if you're on the outskirts it can be a bit of hastle if you don't speak Thai.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Just to clarify, rent allowance is included in the 90,000 baht, not in addition to.

We live a fairly quiet life, although that is partly due to our current location. We're not really five star hotel dwellers and are quite happy with Thai restaurants and spending vacations in medium level hotels in places like Ko Samet and Ko Chang.
inman

Post by inman »

IAMBOG, sorry, I thought the 90,000 had housing on top of that.

Take a look at the apartments for yourself and see if there's anything that jumps out at you, but for a big enough place for your family and in a decent area I think you'll do well if you can get something for less than 20,000 baht per month (though you can get somewhere very nice for less than that price if you're on the outskirts). A good website is http://www.thaiapartment.com/ You can even search apartments by which international schools they are near to.

Hope that's useful
PsyGuy

Not a Difference

Post by PsyGuy »

TAKE THE JOB

Even without housing outright , your housing costs should be around 20% of your income or 20K-25K Baht. With a 90K Baht Salary, you will still have LOTS of discretionary income.
inman

Post by inman »

I agree with Psyguy. With just one year full time teaching experience you'll do well to do better than this offer. You'll live fine off that money and have a very enjoyable quality of life, but it'll be when your partner starts earning too that your quality of life will be really good, as will be your ability to save.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Who pays your Thai taxes? That was a deal breaker for us when we looked into jobs in Thailand.
PsyGuy

No offense

Post by PsyGuy »

Who cares who pays the taxes in Thailand??? Its NINTY THOUSAND A MONTH, for a teacher with only ONE year experience.... Its a forest and trees thing.

That said the Tax rate is 15% so thats 13.5K Baht a month from NINTY THOUSAND... On Thailands Economy, for a teacher with ONE year experience... Your paying in taxes what many locals take home. On 90,000 a month you could absorb all the costs short of tuition and you would still be making BANK.
Roundtrip

Post by Roundtrip »

TAKE THE JOB and buy some mopeds. LOL
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

It's Thailand, you only need one to fit a whole family on!

Count on about 45,000 baht for a new bike.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Taxes are paid. The 90,000 is net. Gross salary is about 109,000 baht.

So, when people are specifying salaries in Thailand on here, they are quoting the gross, not the net?
PsyGuy

Gross

Post by PsyGuy »

Everyone pretty much quotes the gross salary, since taxes can and do change from person to person and family to family. They can also change based on where you live, as far as municipal or local taxes go.