Single Woman in Indonesia?

iTeach314

Single Woman in Indonesia?

Post by iTeach314 »

Hello,
I have been contacted by a school in Jakarta, Indonesia for an interview. I honestly hadn't even considered Indonesia as one of my top places to go. What is life like for the single woman in Jakarta?
SciGuy

Post by SciGuy »

The easiest answer is that it depends. Like anywhere, Jakarta is what you make of it. There are a lot of really great things about this city, as well as some things that aren't so good. How well you respond to them largely depends on your attitude.

Most single western women that I know are happy here. They lead active social lives, and enjoy their jobs. Those that don't like it here typically have negative attitudes and let the challenges of the city get them down. They also tend to lack healthy activities and relationships that give them the support they need when feeling down.

Do a search for an Indonesia expat website and forum to get even more information.
southeast asia

single indonesia

Post by southeast asia »

It depends on what you like to do and what life you make for yourself. Also, something to think and ask the school about is where you would be living because traffic makes life in Jakarta very difficult at times. If you are talking about BIS or Sinarmas World Academy, you will be a bit far from town where there is a variety of things to do.
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

Any idea which part of the city will you stay?

I live in west Jakarta and this week a few of the teachers at my school have been getting excited because a bar has opened up above a supermarket close to where we live (10-15 mins taxi ride)... yippee!!!

Now I realise that usually that wouldn't be anything to get excited about but it's the only bar in the area - before that there was nothing, no bars or pubs within 'reasonable' travelling distance. The only place to get a beer has been a shop or the 'Mr. Pancake' restaurant (allegedly) - that's how dire socially things can be. Other parts of town are better.

So ask your school where you will be staying and be prepared for the appalling traffic and long travel times if you want to go anywhere.
PsyGuy

For Woman

Post by PsyGuy »

Traffic and distance in Jakarta is everything. The traffic makes the shortest trips take hours. JAKARTA is NOT Bali. It's not like it is in Eat, Pray, Love. Honestly, Indonesia is a lot more catered to the male market. Do a search as was suggested earlier, and find an Indonesia/Jakarta expat site (I like AsiaXpat).
bulegila

Post by bulegila »

As others have said it will depend on which school you are at. I'm based in South Jakarta so not far from where all the action is. However I'd prefer to live in one of the suburbs by BIS or Global Jaya as I like the green space which is lacking in south Jakarta. That's just my preference. However at the moment I like my minimal commute to work in the morning.

There are plenty of activities to do in and around Jakarta. I go on the Hash several weekends a month which is great as it gets me out of Jakarta and into the countryside to run. Oh and it's the cheapest place to drink beer in Jakarta ;p It's also gives you an instant and diverse social group.

I'm sure the safety issue will rear it's head at some stage. As a female who's been her since throughout a large part of my 20's on and off I've never had an issue with safety here. In many ways I feel safer than I did in the UK especially if you befriend your neighbours and people at places you regularly visit because they will look out for you. You just need to take the usually precautions that you would anywhere in the world as a woman.

While I'll happily admit that Jakarta isn't particularly my cup of tea it is growing on me. The rest of Indonesia I love and there is so much of it to visit.

Have an ask on www.livinginindonesiaforum.org this is the most popular expat site in Indonesia.

Good luck with the interview :)
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Thanks everyone. The name of the school is Bina Bansa school.http://www.binabangsaschool.com/Locations.html

They have more than one location. Also, does anyone know anything about that school? Please dish.
bulegila

Post by bulegila »

I've met 2 people that have worked/ are working at the school. One hated it (she didn't go into details as to why) and the other is loving the school. However I don't know what campuses they were/are on in Jakarta.
From what I understand they are quite churchy.

I'd recommend posting the questions on the livinginindonesiaforum in the teacher chat. You'll likely get a better answer there.
http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/s ... gsa+school
William

Post by William »

[quote="iTeach314"]Thanks everyone. The name of the school is Bina Bansa school.----://www.binabangsaschool.com/Locations.html

They have more than one location. Also, does anyone know anything about that school? Please dish.[/quote]

That school is ok, certainly nothing wrong with them. I'd say they are a level 2 tier type of school, good for getting some experience. Jakarta is also a love hate place for people.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

I've lived in Indonesia and never had a problem, but there was a gal at my school who got booty-grabbed as she was out running one morning. Granted, she was probably wearing tight shorts and a sports bra...So use your common sense--this is a Muslim country and modesty is a good thing to have. Bikinis and halter tops won't go over well.

That said, I was in Jakarta last spring by myself and didn't worry once. I have a cross-body purse, basic knowledge of the language, and a watchful eye. Indonesia is a lovely country and single women should be just fine!

Jakarta has tons of malls and that seems to be one of the favorite past times. Spas are also popular, as are clubs (like country club, not dance club). :D