Applying as a couple - cover letters

mstaller

Applying as a couple - cover letters

Post by mstaller »

Hello,
My name is Marissa and I am an 8th year middle school science teacher. My boyfriend, Chris, is a 2nd year multiple-subjects/social studies teacher. We are attending the UNI fair this February and have a few questions about how to write a couple's cover letter. BTW, I did read the article at
http://teachingoverseasinfo.blogspot.co ... ional.html, which I didn't find all that useful.

My question is for couples who have successfully written a couple's cover letter. Did you lead with one candidate? Did you find it necessary to individually tailor it to each school? We are running short on time before the UNI fair and we are still in the research stage, so I am in a little bit of a panic, but I will do it if that's the most effective thing to do.

Any advice you have to offer would be greatly appreciated. Any example letters would be even more appreciated! Thank you!

Marissa
PsyGuy

Clarify???

Post by PsyGuy »

Uhm, I don't want to offend you but you can't really apply as a teaching couple. Teaching coupies means married teaching couples. A recruiter or head wouldn't consider you as anything other then individuals, it would be unprofessional for a head to consider you as a couple. Visa issues aside, the recruiter is placed in an awkward position and may be "stuck" with a less then desirable candidate if you break up. I'm sorry.

That said as an admin in my experience the general agreement is that you write one cover letter, and lead with the stronger candidate or direct it toward the more in demand position. You would be more competitive and marketable then your boyfriend, who with two years experience, barely and a low demand field, no advance degree, would have an unlikely chance of attracting the same kinds of schools you would.