Confused

Nomadic Teacher

Confused

Post by Nomadic Teacher »

I am an experienced educator with 8 years experience in international schools teaching and examining my subject at IB level and MYP. I am a workshop leader and have vast experience of the international school system. My wife is an elementary school teacher with 2 years experience in the PYP program. We are both in our early thirties.

I have been applying to schools and rarely get replies to my applications. I find this disheartening and confusing.

Why are we being ignored?
It seems to me that teaching jobs are almost impossible to secure nowadays.
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Confused

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="Nomadic Teacher"]I am an experienced educator with 8 years experience in international schools teaching and examining my subject at IB level and MYP. I am a workshop leader and have vast experience of the international school system. My wife is an elementary school teacher with 2 years experience in the PYP program. We are both in our early thirties.

I have been applying to schools and rarely get replies to my applications. I find this disheartening and confusing.

Why are we being ignored?
It seems to me that teaching jobs are almost impossible to secure nowadays.
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?[/quote]

Hard to say. How many different schools have you been at? Are they considered good/very good schools? How in demand is your subject area? Schools are really holding onto elementary positions for the partners of high needs secondary teachers like math, science etc. It is possible to get the attention of schools if you are in the right place/right time, but to get a sniff from the big/elite schools you need to be high needs and/or outstanding and/or attend a job fair.
Nomadic Teacher

I have been at 3 different international schools. I am an IB examiner (visual arts), have an MA, skills in IT, IB Workshop Leader, EARCOS Presenter and curriculum planner for the new assessments in IB.

The schools I have been at are all ok/good. I think I am a strong candidate with excellent references. My wife is less experienced but I have tried applying both on my own and as a couple. To give you an idea, out of 30 applications, 7 will acknowledge my application, 3 will want to talk and usually it fizzles out before interview.

I am starting to look at other industries as I am getting tired of all the drama of getting a teaching job. Lets face it, its not exactly highly paid or a top job.

What do you guys all think? Any similar experiences as I am facing?
Nomadic Teacher

I am a visual arts teacher. There are quite a few vacancies around but again, I am not getting anywhere with it all.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

It's really early in the recruiting season yet. Schools rarely bother acknowledging receipt of apps or letters of interest.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Visual Arts isnt really all that high of need. You wrote that "...three will want to talk and then it fizzles". Whats the subject or the last thing you discuss when it fizzles???

I'm asking because it sounds like your actually not being ignoired, your getting responses. As an admin Im looking at what your describing as your credentials and Im thinking that somewhere in your life story, there's something thats a deal breaker???

I can imagine with your experience and qualifications that your either only looking at top schools or highly desirable regions (Europe/Japan) and these can be really hard to break into, because no offense but everyone at that level is a "strong candidate with excellent references"
Nomadic Teacher

Thanks PsyGuy.

Would it make sense to send you my CV to see what you think?
Nomadic Teacher

PsyGuy,

"Im looking at what your describing as your credentials and Im thinking that somewhere in your life story, there's something thats a deal breaker???"

Not that I can see. I have had a clean run of employment and have not done anything significant which could effect my employment. So no deal-breaker as such.

Are international teaching jobs more and more difficult to get nowadays?
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

This happened to me last year and I teach a hard-to-fill subject. I found a lot of schools completely ignored me until I turned up at the job fair, where I had no problems at all. I later heard from the school that hired me that they had never received the email I sent. I don't know why. I know many other people on this forum have said they have had success applying to schools directly, but it didn't work at all for me and I don't know why. Are you going to a job fair? You might find you have better success there.
PsyGuy

Cause

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont think its something in your resume, or your employment background because your getting responses, (those 3 in 10) where you describe your having a conversation and then it "fizzles"??? What topic/subject are you talking about when the conversation breaks down?

Deal breakers aren't usually about a candidates resume, because if it was you'd never hear from them to begin with. Usually deal breakers are one of two types of issues: 1) Expectations, such as unusually high salary, or 2) A lifestyle factor that makes a candidate "undesirable" such as a single teacher with a spouse and 4 school age children (that makes you either expensive, or you wouldnt be able to support your family on a single salary).

I bring it up, because when I'm talking with a candidate, there are a few things that they might mention or bring up, that cause me mentally to move on to the next candidate. For instance, our school is a municipal school, and we have a very set salary schedule, and its not based on experience, but on job descriptions. This means a teacher with 5 years experience makes the same salary as one with 1 year experience. So when a teacher candidate starts negotiating or discussing salary expectations or negotiating a higher salary, after ive explained the compensation plan, I loose interest in the candidate, because they will 1) Be unhappy with what they are being paid, 2) Resent that their experience isnt valued (and compensated). Another example is family size, we have no problem with tuition and waivers, but we again provide a set relocation allowance, and its not flexible depending on the size of your family. We dont pay for extra flights, etc. It would also be difficult to support a family of more then three on a single salary (we dont provide housing). Once your looking at 3 bedroom flats/apartments your looking at more then half your salary on rent alone.

So Im thinking that there is "something" your bringing up in these conversations/interviews that is causing the the schools interest to evaporate???

In answer to your question, are teaching jobs harder to find? This year I think so far it is. The economy and recession has produced a larger pool of teacher candidates, but these are mostly new/inexperienced teachers, which wouldnt really effect an experienced teacher such as yourself. We are also seeing enrollments fall. fewer companies are sending personnel abroad, and this is reducing enrollment numbers, though this effect is more pronounced at smaller, less established schools.
Nomadic Teacher

Hi Rutabaga,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking they might miss the emails, but hard to think how.

I am not going to a job fair this year, but perhaps will resign in my present school and do so next year.
Nomadic Teacher

PsyGuy,

I usually only get as far as them saying they will get back to me after considering all applicants. I dont really talk about anything in particular. My wife is a teacher and we have one child so I dont see a problem there.

I dont bring up money/package until they do, but honestly its on my mind as we all do this for a living right? I need to know the details!

Thanks for your advice - lets see what happens over the coming months. Is there anyway I am over qualified for art jobs?? Maybe they want someone with less experience/qualifications as they are cheaper and dont know the ropes as fluently as myself - do I know too much of how these schools work?
PsyGuy

Not Really

Post by PsyGuy »

Schools pay based largely on experience, not expertise. You cant really know too much and hiring someone whos more of an expert at the same rate of salary and experience makes more sense. Honestly, i dont believe in my opinion that "Art" is really a subject a principal is going to be to up on, unless they were or are an artist, art teacher themselves.
Nomadic Teacher

Thanks PsyGuy,

Yes, I guess it makes sense that schools find the most experienced and proven applicant for a position.

Do you think it makes a difference if the teacher has worked with curriculum development, examining etc too?
PsyGuy

My take

Post by PsyGuy »

I think principals are looking for classroom teachers that have recent experience in a classroom of students at the same age group developmental level they are looking to fill. If Im looking for a Dip. Art teacher Im going to want a teacher who is currently or recently been teaching Dip. Art. I get the sense that your curriculum experiences have kept you out of that type of classroom. Whats confusing me, is that they can see from your resume, what youve been doing, but some of them are contacting you anyway and something thats coming up in your discussion is turning them off...