China?

mrspepper

China?

Post by mrspepper »

My husband and I have not had much luck finding jobs in Europe so far, which is not a huge surprise based on what I've read on this board and the fact that while we both have MAs, 10 years experirence, and he's cert. in technology ICT as well as S.S. neither of us has taught abroad before.
So my question is: is China a decent place to teach and to live? Reviews I've read so far have been mixed. It seems like the pay is decent and there are definitely more jobs posted for schools in China but some people seem to have had really negative experiences. We're both fond of history and beauty (which is why we've always liked living and travelling in Europe) and we have a 3 year old daughter as well.
Any advice. opinions, personal experiences would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
PsyGuy

Hi again

Post by PsyGuy »

Lots of teachers start off in Asia and many in China. Many teachers make their career in China. I can see where "beauty and history" might be a problem for you though in China. Yes China has some awe inspiring historical treasures, but your not going to live among them. Living in Beijing, or Shanghai, is more like living in New York, then living in Rome, Paris or Kyoto. China is racing to make themselves more modern, and more western, so its out with a lot of the old and in with the new.

So is China a decent place to live, well depends how you define decent? I loved China, compared to many of the other places to start a IS career China would be the place id recommend.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

If your priority is being outside and enjoying the great out doors on a regular, read weekly, basis then China may not be for you. Certainly there are marvelous opportunities to explore some beautiful regions like the Yellow Mtns, Moganshan, Yangshou and other, but generally those can only be done on longer breaks. Otherwise you need to be content exploring the urban parks, of which Shanghai has an incredible number.

As for history, change is in the air especially in Shanghai. You can visit a neighborhood one week and not be able to find it the next. Beijing is changing as well but certainly has placed a little more emphasis on preserving its history.

I have taught in both China and Europe and each has its benefits. Certainly being able to get outside on weekends made life very nice in Europe, but the opportunities available in China are great.

The best part of international teaching, and often a frustrating one, is the fact that nothing is forever. You can always move on if a position in either location doesn't work out.