Elementary vs. Secondary

CaliPro

Elementary vs. Secondary

Post by CaliPro »

What is the pro's and con's of each?

Is there less jobs abroad for elementary teachers compared to secondary teachers?

Pay?

Having a hard time deciding which route to take / go.
figure8

Post by figure8 »

You can leave yourself open to both, if you are qualified for both elementary and secondary. No reason to choose one or the other if you are certified all the way through.
If you are not already registered with Search Associates you should do that ASAP. You can check off your qualifications and apply to whatever grade level you are qualified for once you gain access to the Search data base. No point in narrowing down your choices until you are applying to a specific job..at the point you can select either elementary or secondary based on package and location preference. Not sure if it's a bit late for Search now since most of the job fairs are full..if you have a good associate they may squeeze you in!
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

I am not licensed in either right now. Hence why I am debating whether or not to get licensed in Elementary edu or Secondary.

I hold an non edu degree and I'm doing ESL abroad looking to go back to school or do an alternative cert program.

Just would like some feedback on the differences between the two. Job ease or difficulty. Job openings abroad ect.
figure8

Post by figure8 »

Oh okay..well that's really up to you. Hard to tell you which is best since based on what I've seen this year there are several jobs in both categories. Really you should become certified in the area you are most interested/qualified in.

I honestly would not choose one or the other based on job availability down the road. After becoming certified you will most likely need to gain two years experience teaching in your home country before going overseas. It's crucial you choose based on your skill set and personality. Some teachers would hate to work with wee ones while others could not imagine working with teenagers.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

I feel like I am pretty flexible & thick skinned and can manage perfectly fine with either or.
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

There is more competition for primary school teachers, and many schools like to save a few positions for trailing spouses. While many people have a primary certification, not nearly as many people have EXPERIENCE in teaching primary. That being said, secondary is the way to go if you want to be the most competitive, especially if you have a high demand needs area like science, math, computers, etc.