Online masters in Ed leading to certification? Experiences?

nextfriday99

Online masters in Ed leading to certification? Experiences?

Post by nextfriday99 »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any programs in which I can attain a graduate degree in education (elementary) that will lead to certification. I want to take most classes online or in the summers as I live overseas and I want to find a program that will allow me to do student teaching abroad or after I receive the degree like George-mason's fast train. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

NF
hallier

Post by hallier »

The College of New Jersey runs summer and online programs. The summer programs are in Bangkok, Spain and Taiwan.

I do not rate the course highly, but it is one way of getting certified. I know of many teachers who got their certification over 2 summers in Bangkok. A 3rd summer is needed to get a masters.
juliekunselman

Re: Online masters in Ed leading to certification? Experienc

Post by juliekunselman »

Hi NF,

The TeacherReady program is an online alternative certification program affiliated with the University of West Florida. Completion of the program earns interested individuals 12 hours towards a master’s in education degree from the university; the additional hours in the master's program may be taken online. All/any field placements may be completed abroad. Good luck!

Julie
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

[quote]I do not rate the course highly, but it is one way of getting certified. [/quote]

The College of New Jersey's Global Program is actually very highly rated. The summer programs are run in Spain, South Africa, and Bangkok, with one week spring and fall courses run in Taiwan, Bolivia, and a few other locations.

The College of New Jersey is a highly rated school itself, often called one of the "public Ivies." No, I have not attended. I earned my Master's and certification through a traditional program, however, I know several teachers at good schools earning their degrees/certifications through TCNJ.

The program is accredited and it earns you a standard NJ teaching license that is accepted in all 50 states and at any international school that wants a real certification.
hallier

Post by hallier »

[quote="sevarem"][quote]I do not rate the course highly, but it is one way of getting certified. [/quote]

The College of New Jersey's Global Program is actually very highly rated. The summer programs are run in Spain, South Africa, and Bangkok, with one week spring and fall courses run in Taiwan, Bolivia, and a few other locations.

The College of New Jersey is a highly rated school itself, often called one of the "public Ivies." No, I have not attended. I earned my Master's and certification through a traditional program, however, I know several teachers at good schools earning their degrees/certifications through TCNJ.

The program is accredited and it earns you a standard NJ teaching license that is accepted in all 50 states and at any international school that wants a real certification.[/quote]

Just to clarify - I was just giving my personal feelings re. saying I did not rate TCNJ highly.

I was an experienced teacher who began the Bangkok program to get elementary certification. The quality of the teaching, as well as the course content was, in my view, quite disappointing and not value for money.

For instance, in the initial course called Internship 1, which was an introduction to teaching and learning, the instructor did not know the difference between formative and summative assessment. She had no knowledge of the Understanding by Design process, nor of the IB. In the 2nd course, which was meant to be about Child and Adolescent Development, the instructor's focus was resolutely theoretical with a focus on social conditions in the USA. The class was on the verge of mutiny, as we were all international educators. I recall with bemusement the instructor insisting there was no such thing as 3rd culture kids - to some class participants who were themselves 3rd culture kids. Thankfully, the 3rd course I took that summer on Content Literacy was well taught and useful.

However, I decided not to continue as overall, I was not impressed with the quality of the program.

In my view, a novice teacher who has been certified through TCNJ would not be prepared to teach an elementary class. For example, there is no class in teaching Mathematics, nor Science. Nothing. I would be reluctant to hire that candidate.

However, if all you want is the piece of paper, it is an expedient way to go about it. I too know of some teachers from good schools who are doing the program. The way it is scheduled and the multiple locations is really handy for international school teachers. You could do that course for the certification and then take some extra classes to fill in any gaps.

After dropping that course, I took some online courses at the American Public University to fill in some of my gaps - including a class in teaching elementary math. They were pretty comprehensive.

You can do an online Masters with them - I am not sure what the reputation of the institution is, but you would get a grounding in teaching all of the subject areas, as well as such things as child development and class management. I think the web address is www.apus.edu.
PsyGuy

Opinion

Post by PsyGuy »

I know nothing about the NJGP program, but i do have experience with other such programs. I think the main issue for me, is that these programs of "global" or "international" education are really just the same "state" certification programs with a new name, and instructors who basically read up on international education. I cant endorse any of them, and i wouldnt except that for most of the students that enroll in them they are less looking for an actual education, and more looking for a fast and efficient means of obtaining the certification. If thats your objective, then the program doesnt really matter.