What does a Search Associates associate actually do?

Daniel

What does a Search Associates associate actually do?

Post by Daniel »

Hey everybody,
I was just wondering if someone could explain to me what exactly a Search Associate associate does? My experience so far with mine has been such that I believe she has actually been much more detrimental to our (I'm married) search than beneficial. For starters, communication is almost non-existent, and when there is it is so brief and curt that it actually makes me hesitate to have any future correspondance. I'm not writing her about trivial things either. For example, I wrote wondering why after 5 days of having everything submitted my wife and I still had pending status on our accounts. We have also had a problem with our confidential refernces, in that due to what I think must be a computer glitch 4 of our references were not able to fill out the evaluations (they clicked on the link and were immediately brought to a page that said "Thanks for completing this evaluation."). When I asked her about this she said that her computer said they had been completed and that is all that matters. Obviously this is going to be an issue when a school attempts to view them and they don't exist, but in her mind apparently the case is closed. Has anybody else been disappointed with the service provided by their associate? I'm wondering if it's possible to change?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: What does a Search Associates associate actually do?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="Daniel"]Hey everybody,
I was just wondering if someone could explain to me what exactly a Search Associate associate does? My experience so far with mine has been such that I believe she has actually been much more detrimental to our (I'm married) search than beneficial. For starters, communication is almost non-existent, and when there is it is so brief and curt that it actually makes me hesitate to have any future correspondance. I'm not writing her about trivial things either. For example, I wrote wondering why after 5 days of having everything submitted my wife and I still had pending status on our accounts. We have also had a problem with our confidential refernces, in that due to what I think must be a computer glitch 4 of our references were not able to fill out the evaluations (they clicked on the link and were immediately brought to a page that said "Thanks for completing this evaluation."). When I asked her about this she said that her computer said they had been completed and that is all that matters. Obviously this is going to be an issue when a school attempts to view them and they don't exist, but in her mind apparently the case is closed. Has anybody else been disappointed with the service provided by their associate? I'm wondering if it's possible to change?[/quote]

Sounds very similar to my experiences with my associate. Misinformation, communication issues and feeling like I am being scolded have been quite common over the years. Still waiting for her to actually do something to promote my candidacy through her alleged contacts and connections.
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

My associate is Michael Williams and I have always had VERY prompt, thorough, and polite responses. His assistants often are the ones I hear from. He even got an invitation to the fair I wanted, even though it was supposedly full. Regardless, so far I'm very happy. It obviously just depends on who your associate is.
PsyGuy

Perspective

Post by PsyGuy »

Well first, associates dont get you a job. They arent like "head hunters", or executive recruiters. When you join search your basically paying for 1) the jobs data base, and 2) access to the fairs. Thats really all you should expect. People have mixed experiences with their recruiters. Mine doesnt do anything but collect her money. When i use to write her, it would take her WEEKS to reply. Some people (and im jealous) have really responsive and attentive associates. That being said my associate has never been directly detrimental to my job search.

A couple possible perspectives: First, 5 days isnt really all that long a wait given this time of year. The holidays and the upcoming fairs have got everyone busy.
Second, Search just transitioned to a new website, and there have been some computer glitches. Why your associate would want "blank" references doesnt make a lot of sense???
Third, how do you really "know" that your confidential references really had that experience, after all they are confidential? My reasoning is this: Search doesnt make money off of you... You pay $200 for 3 years, when they place you in a job they get around $2500. Its not in their interest to set you up to fail, or make things difficult for you. If they didnt think you would be successful they just wouldnt have accepted you.

Im not trying to suggest anything here, but you need to have a frank discussion with your associate about your probable success given your expectations. I think and this is just my instinct that while there may not be anything wrong with you there is something in your expectations or some challenge about your situation that is going to be an obstacle to your hiring expectations. Maybe you could tell us a little more about your resumes and family situation???
At some point soon your going to need to decide if the database, and the job fairs are worth your money, and if not approach Search about a refund.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thanks for the responses. Nice to know I'm not alone. Anyway, I know about the confidential references because they contacted me about the issue. They are not confidential in the sense that I don't know who they are, after all, I had to put their contact informtion into my profile in the first place. As for having a frank discussion with my associate, I would absolutely be thrilled to. I know that we are not the most ideal candidates in the world (I have a Master's in Elementary Education, my wife is an ESL teacher with an elementary certificate, though we only 1 year experience each) but I would love for her to tell us that. Any communication would be great. It's at the point where I'm hesitant to even write her because I'm afraid that she views me as bothersome (despite the most minimal of communication) and will become even more apathetic to our situation. I suppose I'm just venting, but it seems like they pride themselves on a personal approach, charge a bunch for it, and then deliver absolutely nothing in regards to it.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

I understand you of course know who your references are, I suppose Im just trying to be polite, but what im suggesting is that since your references were confidential maybe they didnt say "positive" things about you? Not that they said negative things, but it wouldnt be the first time that a reference gave a candidate a neutral or negative letter, and your associate just cant tell you???

So what kind of position are you looking to get? I ask because two elementary teachers (who would basically be competing for the same job) with 1 year experience (the MINIMUM is 2), no IB, in a subject area (like elementary) that isnt in high demand is really a long shot for anything that isnt a third tier school (Im going to assume you two are actually certified).

Too put it in perspective though, I agree with you on the personal touch (at least as far as my associate goes). However, $200 for three years access isnt what i would call "a bunch" and they didnt provide nothing. Once your approved you will have access to the jobs and schools database, and can attend the job fairs, and while thats not by my definition of customer service, it is a service....

Lastly, it is possible to change your associate. However, it is not automatic. the new associate would have to be willing to accept you. The reason is that Search is more like a firm of independent recruiters. So losing a candidate to another associate is really like stealing another associates money. Its a valid argument to say "well thats how business works, when someone offers a better service". The reality though is that there will always be someone better, and if clients were allowed to jump around to whoever was perceived as better. Then eventually some associates would have a majority of the clients, resulting in more work output, and a resulting loss in quality of service. Basically, competition is good for the market, but not the office space itself.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I had Sally Gordon and she was terrific. She always responded quickly to my emails. She helped me get into a fair after it was full. She talked me through my options during the fair. She gave me good solid advice-real talk about some of my options. She involved other associates in the discussion who knew about the schools that I was considering. At a time when my brain was in overdrive and I was making one of the most important decisions for my family, I felt like I had someone in my corner.
PsyGuy

Names

Post by PsyGuy »

Since were naming names, my no help, does nothing associate is Marie Bogat.
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

What I've noticed with several associates is that they are tremendously unwilling to express anything even halfway negative about a school, even when the red flags are flying high.

I had an associate tell me at the Bethesda fair this year that a first-year school in Egypt, operating out of an old office building on the outskirts of Cairo and represented by a massive Texan who clearly had about as much experience in education as a house cat does in quantum physics was "not just picking anyone."

Perhaps they weren't just picking anyone, but it seems like Search is ready and willing to just pick any school to recruit at their fairs.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

My associate this past recruiting season was Gez Williams, and I found him very helpful, quick to respond, and candid about some of my choices. The friend who convinced me to join SA has Ray Sparks as his associate, and he's always been very happy with him through two job searches.
Pike

Post by Pike »

My wife and I have been through three different ones. All the same to me. We had the "big guy," then his daughter, then Ray Sparks talked us back into signing on again for Search. After a tug- a- war between Ray and his daughter, we finally landed with Ray. Come to find out, it wasn't much of a difference. The only time we hear from Ray is when he is fishing to find out if we have been hired or not.

Probably the most enlightened one was a guy I do not even remember his name (I think it's Mike Williams... the one based in Laos I believe...anyway). He was frank with us when we couldn't decide between two schools. His description turned out to be accurate, but he was definitely doing a high wire act explaining it.

My wife and I know enough people we can generally get a "low down" on many schools. For example, a former principal warned us about a certain school. The best source for information about schools are your fellow teachers & administrators. Stay away from the bitter ones though :lol:
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="Pike"]My wife and I have been through three different ones. All the same to me. We had the "big guy," then his daughter, then Ray Sparks talked us back into signing on again for Search. After a tug- a- war between Ray and his daughter, we finally landed with Ray. Come to find out, it wasn't much of a difference. The only time we hear from Ray is when he is fishing to find out if we have been hired or not.

Probably the most enlightened one was a guy I do not even remember his name (I think it's Mike Williams... the one based in Laos I believe...anyway). He was frank with us when we couldn't decide between two schools. His description turned out to be accurate, but he was definitely doing a high wire act explaining it.

My wife and I know enough people we can generally get a "low down" on many schools. For example, a former principal warned us about a certain school. The best source for information about schools are your fellow teachers & administrators. Stay away from the bitter ones though :lol:
[/quote]
-----------------------------------------------------
You may want to edit this post. Apparently posts on these boards get back to Search. Or not, but just thought you should know, in case you cared.
alia

Collect a check

Post by alia »

Ours does nothing. The San Fransisco fair was a nightmare. Two weeks before the fair there were 5 jobs we were seriously interested in and 4 more that looked okay. Every single one of those jobs was gone when we showed up. Only one of those schools actually attended the fair. Over a quarter of the schools that were on the list didn't even show up at all. There were only 5 jobs available in my husband's field and they were all in seriously sketchy places/schools like Al Bayan Bilingual School Kuwait (the school involved in the Katherine Phillips incident).

We emailed our associate after the fair and he gave us a lot of bs reasons we might not have been successful at the fair and told us there were lots of positions still available in their database (at least half of which we know are gone). No help at all and the whole debacle makes us unlikely to ever go to another fair/recruiter again.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

My associate doesnt do anything for me either. I've gotten some small tidbits of advice, but its always come too late or taken too long to be useful. They spend half their time making excuses for why candidates dont have a job. The other half of their time they are selling you about sending them a check again.

The database is nice though, but even being the largest agency, they still only represent a small fraction of schools.