Why not request letters of recommendation from Heads?

Why not request letters of recommendation from Heads?

Post by guest »

Hi all:
It seems to me that the interview process is a two-way street. They want to know if I'm right for their school, and I want to know if they have a management style that I want to work under. Why not ask the hiring agencies (ISS, etc) to request the Heads to bring their own resumes, letters of recommendation and references to the job fairs? They have the opportunity to talk to our references right there at the fair, why should we not also have the opportunity to talk openly with people they refer US to? I think establishing a mutual framework such as this will do a lot towards establishing the type of communication and accountability that is sorely needed.

--anon
lostboy

Silly Rabbit, tricks are for kids.

Post by lostboy »

That's silly. Why ask for letters, when there should be accountability. Heads, principals, and other administrators with questionable past, seem to have no problems quitting, getting fired, or even kicked out of Dodge and popping out all squeaky clean in a new post. While on the other hand teachers with minds and actions get the heave ho, on to the list...Ooooo, the BLACK LIST. Most of us out here on the outer perimeter, are ex/pats on the prowl for adventure and exotic places. We can't possibly be out here to make a difference as teachers, otherwise we would all be back in our own countries, teaching in slum schools. So, teaching kids in foreign private schools must have another attraction. I think black list are a joke. Why have a list when there is no due process, and an administrator is the judge and jury. Not to mention all the slander that they lay out at conferences, tarnishing teacher?s reputations, without any fear of penalty. I think the problem here is good old human fault. So much effort is put into recruitment, and polishing our brass resumes, we forget to follow any codes of ethics. Let?s focus on that. Maybe with a push or even a shove, we could all stand to be better people. Ever wonder why sometimes our host country locals don't like us so much, well they're watching us, what we do. 8)
Darla

Post by Darla »

Dear Guest,

Yours is a good idea and some schools do make available letters of reference from their teachers at fair or on their websites. See Tanganyika?s website, for example, ?What our teachers say?

Lostboy, I am concerned by your comment: ?We can't possibly be out here to make a difference as teachers.? I am an international teacher and yes, as in my home country, I remain in this profession because it is my hope to make a difference in the lives of the students that I teach. It is both challenging and rewarding to live in a foreign country, and by volunteering I con contribute on community-wide scale.

Lostboy, if I were an administrator I would not want someone with your shameful attitude on my staff. It is little wonder that the locals in your host country don?t like you too much. Please, do continue to work on becoming a better person.

Post by Guest »

I have to agree with Darla. Of course I love to live abroad; it makes life interesting. But I am dedicated to my students and a professional, above all. Lostboy, you need to change your attitude or maybe it's time you changed professions. A professional backpacker perhaps?
Professional???

Post by Professional??? »

Dear Guest of December 12,

Your attitude towards Lost Boy certainly is not professional. You must do better with young children. I agree with Lost Boy 100%. By your definition, being professional means tolerating without question. America already has enough citizens like this without you turning out more.
Tammy

Post by Tammy »

Hi,
I'm new to international teaching - well, not yet anyway. Soon, I hope. I want to be dedicated but I don't want to find myself in a bad situation either. I'm trying to figure out what the above posting means... Is it better to teach younger or older students in an international school? Are the professional expectations different for elemenary and high school or middle school teachers? Sorry, I just have a lot of questions and want to do my research beforehand.
Thanks!
Tammy

Post by Tammy »

Hi,
I'm new to international teaching - well, not yet anyway. Soon, I hope. I want to be dedicated but I don't want to find myself in a bad situation either. I'm trying to figure out what the above posting means... Is it better to teach younger or older students in an international school? Are the professional expectations different for elemenary and high school or middle school teachers? Sorry, I just have a lot of questions and want to do my research beforehand.
Thanks!

Answer to Tammy

Post by Guest »

Hello Tammy,

If you get into a good International School it won't matter if you have young or old students. The kids will be motivated and well behaved across the board. In a good school the challenge for you will be keepng the students challenged. I would just go for it . Do some research and take your best shot. One thing to keep in mind is that what ever you plan usually changes at the conference as new jobs become available and the ones you had planned on become filled. For me an indicator has been what type of insurance the school offers. The schools that are more concerned about their teachers seem to offer TIE CAre or Clements while the others give you the local insurance. Of course this is no indication of how the director will treat his or her staff once they are on foreign soil but it is an indication of a basic intent to show concern and support.