55 & wish to teach overseas.

belle

55 & wish to teach overseas.

Post by belle »

I have need of some straight forward ,honest advice as to schools that have a reasonable workload and yet fairly good pay package , benefits and teachers treatment. Can anyone enlighten me , a Canadian, as to places that are preferable for these criteria? Am 55. Would that be thought of as too old. Have 27 years of English ,Resource and ESL teaching experience.
Teacher Teacher

55 and over

Post by Teacher Teacher »

I've been overseas for almost 15 years now. I'm over 55 and have friends on the circuit that are also over 55. Some well over. You have just as good a chance as anyone of landing a great job. Don't let age stop you. I've seen a good number of teachers in their 20's get overseas and after a few months decide it's not for them. Older, more setteled people tend to stay and are in general more grounded. So go for it...you'll be glad you did.
Another guest

Post by Another guest »

There are a number of schools who would probably be interested in you. In some countries there are upper age limits, but that isn't often the case.

The only difficulty that I see right now is that it's somewhat late in the hiring season, and a large number of jobs have been taken. There are a decent number of jobs available, but not always at the best schools. Having said that, this is the time of year when openings can occur in many places.

My advice: start now, and if you get something good, consider it. If you are not happy with the choices you have now, try again next year during the January-March hiring period.
wenpow

Job Fairs

Post by wenpow »

I don't know if this trend still exists, as I haven't job hunted on the international circuit in over 8 years...

There are a few job fairs in the summer months. There are much fewer openings but then the admins are more desparate to land someone quickly.

Try ISS - they meet in Philadelphia every summer.

Limitations: Turkey requires a bachelor's degree in the field you are teaching. For example, my bachelors was in Music History but I am now in Computers - that would be no good for teaching K-12 in that country.
Off hand, I cannot remember which countries will not hire someone over 55 years old but there are a few out there. Check it out.
Good luck
Wendy
Nancy

age and country

Post by Nancy »

I know that Kuwait and Thailand have age limits. I don't know exactly what the number is. Organizations such as ISS and Search will have this information.
Over 55

Over 55 with thoughts to offer

Post by Over 55 »

The other posts don't reflect the fact that there are a LOT of schools who discriminate against people older than 55! And ISS will not give you a direct answer because they, in fact, are guilty of complicity in age discrimination at their job fairs. They have been sued for it, and they have lost, so they will act innocent as hell about it when, in fact, they know EXACTLY which schools will not consider you because of your age. It is a common frustration for those of us who have gone overseas after a career in the US, and it is difficult to get straight answers from anyone. In general, South American schools don't discriminate and their salaries are the lowest in the world. Forget Holland; after 45, you're not going to get a visa. The Middle East is generally off-limits when you hit 60. Some schools and countries might look the other way if you're close to that age and you have a specialty that's hard to fill. Jakarta International School has a mandatory age limit of 60. For all the rest, the best strategy is to contract people you know who are teaching overseas, and ask specific questions about specific schools. One thing that overseas administrators know is that experience is worth a great deal, and they are less likely to discriminate against you, age-wise, than in the US UNLESS there are country laws that limit visas to people over 60, for example, or a school-specific rule. 60 seems to be the magic number. I'm also guessing (though no one has specified this to me) that schools may profit from a cheaper insurance plan if they don't have faculty members over 60.
kathryn

age limits

Post by kathryn »

I can verify what over 55 said. I recently contact ISS for a question regqarding age and got an answer that beat around the bush and said absolutley nothing.
I have talked to teachers who have taught overseas. I have been told that they know of teachers in their 70's teaching. They were hired at a younger age though, and had been overseas for years. I am 58 and hoping to go overseas for the first time next year. With many years of various teaching experiences, including special ed, I'm hoping I will get the opportunity.
kathryn

age limits

Post by kathryn »

I can verify what over 55 said. I recently contacted ISS for a question regqarding age and got an answer that beat around the bush and said absolutley nothing.
I have talked to teachers who have taught overseas. I have been told that they know of teachers in their 70's teaching. They were hired at a younger age though, and had been overseas for years. I am 58 and hoping to go overseas for the first time next year. With many years of various teaching experiences, including special ed, I'm hoping I will get the opportunity.
guest4

Post by guest4 »

I understand that 55 is the age limit for UK. Due to health insurance/state health plan. True or False?