Upper Age Limits

maryla

Upper Age Limits

Post by maryla »

Would anyone be so kind as to reveal the truth behind this statement made to me by a collegue who had attended a recruitment fair in California. "It was obvious they were interested only in people who were under thirty. The presenter did not even acknowledge my existence in the group meeting discussions and one recruiter told me she didn't think I would like living in the dorm housing the school provided." Granted, my collegue was not having the best of times in her own US classroom, and perhaps she did not project the most positive of attitudes. Are there any teachers in the overseas recruitment pools who are closer to 55 than say, 35? I am fluent in Spanish, have lived and travelled in the Latin America for many years,with 14 years classroom experience, exclusiively in urban, inner city schools. Have I missed the boat on this one?
goldengirl

Post by goldengirl »

Hi,
You have definitely not missed the boat. The better schools appreciate experience and recognize that older teachers have a different set of priorities than the under 30 crowd. I have taught in 4 schools in South America and the majority of the staff on each campus were in there mid 40's. Interestingly enough all the directors were between 50 - 70. My advice to you is go for it! Age is relative anyway, right?
goldengirl

oops!

Post by goldengirl »

Oops, as I'm only human....I made a mistake in my previous posting. Please forgive me! The following senctence should read: I have taught in 4 schools in South America and the majority of the staff on each campus were in THEIR mid 40's, not there mid 40's. That's all for now.
goldengirl

Sentence

Post by goldengirl »

Can you believe it......another mistake! Sorry! The correct spelling is SENTENCE!
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

HI: is there an age limit on working in Egypt? asap
JimboBosso

age ceiling

Post by JimboBosso »

Having read Golden Girls posts, I can see why some schools have ceilings.
He who is without sin...

Cast the first stone

Post by He who is without sin... »

Correction: Goldengirl's post, Jimbob Oss o<G>

I'm hoping you meant <G> when you made the remark about ceilings on age limits! I am 63, have taught overseas for 10 years, and have never had trouble finding a job.

I also know how to spell.

I also wouldn't correct someone else's errors unless arrogance or bad judgment demanded it.

Post by Guest »

Hey Jimbo,

Shouldn't your reference to Golden Girl's posts have the apostrophe that you somehow left out?
patterss

Post by patterss »

I am 57 and have been overseas for 6 years. I'm looking for a new position now (probably will stay somewhere in Asia), but I was told that Malaysia laws won't let me work over the age of 60. Does anyone know if this true?

For me personally, I'm in better health than when I was "birthing babies" in my 20s. I've only missed one day of work in 7 years and that was because all of the staff came down with food poisoning from cafeteria food and the school was closed! However, I am afraid that schools will overlook me when they see my date of birth. If they only met me, they'd see I have more energy than some teachers many years younger.

Thanks!
deweyjap

Golden Girls

Post by deweyjap »

I am also a teacher in her mid fifties and have enjoyed working overseas for 8 years. I agree with the post that energy levels have not diminished. In fact I can work circles around many younger and of my age. As for job hunting, I think it can be much more difficult but if you have what they want they will want you.