CV

mrspepper

CV

Post by mrspepper »

My husband and I have searched through a ton of sample CVs online for International teachers and each one has a completely different format and different info on it. Can anyone tell us where to find a sample CV that we should go by or what schools actually want to see on it?
We'd really appreciate it!
PsyGuy

There arent

Post by PsyGuy »

There isnt a "best" resume template for international schools. Every principal/head likes different things. To give you a few pointers.

1) Set your paper format to A4 size paper (the standard used everywhere EXCEPT the USA). Avoid using too many tabs. They will look different on different computers, and may look less professional.

2) Use standard fonts (Times, Arial, Helvetica, etc) most computers are loaded with local language fonts, and they may have a very limited number of english fonts.

3) Preferably send PDF's documents (and avoid all the above).

4) Recruiters are primarily looking for two things: What you HAVE taught (experience) and what you CAN teach (degrees and certifications). Second to that are: skills (technology, etc), and extracurricular interest (sports and clubs).

5) Start your resume with whatever your strength is. If its your 5 degrees and 20 certifications start with that (under the title of "Education"). If its a decade of teaching experience start with that (under the title of "Experience"). Most of us at this stage in our career have more then a page, but recruiters really only have time for the first. So whatever is first on the resume should be your most impressive.

6) Dont use a skill summary or objective at the top of your resume, it waists valuable space and we know what your objective is (its the job your applying for). Also, dont bother with the "references available on request" line at the end of your resume, you better have references or you wouldnt be applying.

7) For each experience entry you should have no more then 1 bullet point per year of experience. Having a dozen accomplishments or descriptors for a one or two year job is just fluff. Either the accomplishments are trivial, or exaggerations. Each entry should have at a minimum, Dates, Name of Organization, and Location.

2010-2011, Acme International School, Nowhere/Fantasia

After that should be your job title, but "Teacher" looks boring and Repetitive, so Include your Grade and Subject

Teacher - IB Diploma, English A

Under that should be whatever achievements or descriptors you want, but keep it to a minimum, and unless you didnt do anything you can leave out the formula line such as below (Asterisks are preferable to bullet points, if your using word):

*Taught English Literature to 1st year Diploma Students. (BAD)
*Faculty Sponsor of the Writing Club. (OK)
*Completed Writers Workshop Training. (GOOD)
*98% IBO Exam Success Rate. (VERY GOOD)

8) You should have more emphasis on recent activities and less on distant activities, if you graduated 20 years a go, no one cares if you were on the honor roll.

9) So if the first 2 parts of your resume are Experience, and Education, the third part should be focused on skills such as foreign languages, technology, coaching skills, etc. and any other training qualifications or experiences you have that might be relevant to the position. Any other relevant information to teaching as well.

10) Include a photo with your resume but not ON your resume. Lastly make sure your contact information is at the top of the first page, specifically your email address, phone number (begin with 01, not just 1) and Skype name (most interviews are done by Skype if not in person, as opposed to a phone call. It will also help you discover whos really interested in you, if your suddenly asked to add a schools skype contact list.)
jessd82

Post by jessd82 »

What technology skills do you think that schools are looking for specifically? I feel like I'm listing some things that are super easy and that I don't feel like is something that is a skill that no one else posses.
psychris

Post by psychris »

Why a photo with, but not on the resume?

I would think school personnel would prefer not having to deal with an extra piece of paper.
PsyGuy

Well...

Post by PsyGuy »

You can do a quick "MS Office" blurb if you want. As far as platforms unless your really good its assumed that you now how to use a computer. By technology skills I mean: programming languages (java is popular) iLife (iDVD is the new Power Point), DTP (Desk Top Publishing, such as Adobe suite), Video/Audio editing, CAD, Blackboard, Web CAT, Banner, Statistics (SPSS, SAS). Any specialized software used in say music, science, etc.

As for the photo, well usually resumes are printed out on B&W laser printers running on "Econo" mode, and those photos just look like a big black and grey blob on your resume. Your photo isnt going to be printed at all unless and maybe if your in the final pool of candidates. Were going through a job search now, we got 580 applications for two positions, were not printing those out on a slow ink jet in color.
We only care what the final candidates look like (this isnt a modeling job), and the principal will either print out the final candidates photo in color or just look at on the computer.
jessd82

Post by jessd82 »

Okay, thanks. Our school is online, but uses mostly free software that doesn't really translate into those platforms and may not be known by others (since I'm guessing international schools are willing to pay for those things mine won't). Thanks for the concrete items.
mrspepper

Post by mrspepper »

Thank you very much for the great info!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends on the school, most of the tier one schools have very impressive resources, but even if the school doesnt the kids (their parents) do.
iTeach314

PsyGuy

Post by iTeach314 »

PsyGuy would you be willing to look over a resume and cover letter for an international teaching job and critique it?