Luxembourg

mrspepper

Luxembourg

Post by mrspepper »

Does anyone know anything about the International School of Luxembourg? Any info/insight would be greatly appreciated.
PsyGuy

Cant Say

Post by PsyGuy »

I cant say anything about the school but Luxembourg is a lot like Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland except with more of a european feel, its small and there isnt a whole lot going on. Brussels is pretty close and i guess you could call it "the city" but really the location is so central its easy to get pretty much anywhere else in Europe for the weekend. Its a very relaxed, sedentary life. Great place to raise kids, and have a family, not my top pick for the single life.

I never taught or worked in Belgium, just visited when I was hunting for chocolate.
Moien

Post by Moien »

I know some people who work there. Very good salaries even for Luxembourg (minimum salary in the country is some 1700€ month). I've read in the newspapers (!) recently that they were even paying a bonus to the teachers.

Few students per class from countries all over the world, mainly businessmen's sons. If you are looking for a really multicultural place to teach that is one place to aim for.

Regarding the quality of life in the city: if you like calm, quiet place to raise a family this is the country. If you are into nature there are amazing places in the surroundings.

Beware that reting a house may be very expensive (+1000 €/month) which explains the number of commuters living in France, Belgium or Germany.

And Paris, Brussels are two hours away by car, Frankfurt, Zurich, London, Copenhague... are less than one ahour away by plane.

Language should not be a problem. Most people speak two or three languages. Official languages are French and German (plus Luxembourgish) but almost everybody speaks English. There is a huge expat community in the city.

I would not mind retiring in that school.