Search Sydney fair

inman

Search Sydney fair

Post by inman »

Before Search revamped their website I was able to go on (as a non-member) and look at the schools attending a fair. Although there weren't a vast amount of schools, for someone targeting Asia or the Middle East (I am targeting Thailand, Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia or possibly Singapore) it seemed like there were a lot of options at the Sydney fair. I also thought it would be good that it was one of the first fairs as some schools will like to as much hiring as they can, as soon as they can. Am I wrong about that? From the current website description of the fair I also get the impression that there are a lot of people at the fair who may be looking for a first overseas experience. Does that put those with experience in a position to be snapped up quickly then?

Australia is a long way from the Middle East (where I am now) but it would be a nice little holiday, and worth it to join up and go if I get a position that appeals.
PsyGuy

Thats the problem

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats the problem with the Sydney, Australia fair: 1) Its an awful long way to go for anyone who isn't in Australia, Indonesia, Philippines, and to some extent Singapore. It doesnt have a huge turnout because its not really convenient for anyone. 2) Even Australians dont go because its in the middle of the week. 3) The Bangkok fair is literally 2 days away from the Sydney fair. 4) That first week of January everyone is just getting over new years/new years eve, which is an expensive week to travel. Most professional teachers just dont want to go direct from a holiday to traveling internationally for a job fair. 5) Principals get tired and cant possibly go to non stop fair, after fair. So you get the head/principal at the big fairs, and then some lessor admins as "reps" at the smaller fairs. Which means you may not be interviewing with someone who can hire you by themselves.

You need to think of the cambridge, Bangkok, London fairs as really "supper" fairs because they usually run back to back with another recruitment fair (M.A. and Bangkok have Search+ISS, and London has Search+COIS). All the other fairs are just short, small time fairs.

My feeling is that Search is really attempting to "Own" everything that they provide. Even the list of school attendees has some value, and to just post it up on their website to non-members detracts from the value reserved for paying members.
hallier

Post by hallier »

I agree.

I went to the Sydney fair a few years ago, but I was in Australia at the time, so it was no big deal to attend.

The school that hired me went to ISS Bangkok (Search did not offer a Bangkok fair that year) and continued to interview for my position. Luckily, they hired me just before the CIS fair (I think about 3 weeks elapsed between the fair and the offer).

My point is that most schools that go to Sydney will probably go on to Bangkok and then make hiring decisions. Unless you are a spectacular candidate, you are unlikely to be hired at the Sydney fair.

The problem for some is that they may not get an invite to the Bangkok fair. In that case, Sydney may be an option.

However, I would probably aim for a fair in Europe or in the US (depending on my location) as there are likely to be far more schools at those fairs and it is more probable that they will actually offer positions at the fair.

One final point on Sydney. I was at the fair in 2005 so things may have changed. However, some schools that were listed as attending (Taipei American School is one I remember) did not actually turn up.