Top international schools

Happy teaching

go for it, and other random thoughts

Post by Happy teaching »

Sara, you sound like you could easily find a job. CIS and ISS are combining their fair this year in Boston, and both have lots of European schools. Their latest recruiting fair update says they are expecting lots of jobs this year, I think.

Warsaw, Prague, Vienna and Budapest all have great schools, as does Bucharest and the K-8 school in Sofia isn't bad although they don't pay as much. But Bulgaria is cheaper to live in!

I have to say, good colleagues and administrators make or break a work place in my opinion. As a teacher we spend 180-190 days at work so it had better be with thoughtful stimulating people! Vacations can only keep you going for so long....

Money is nice, but saving potential is the key. It doesn't matter if you make a mint if you need to spend it all to live and eat.

My ideal school has a kind and generous administration who are concerned with the whole you as well as the whole child... Otherwise, my criteria include "no war zones" and small children can breathe the air without developing respiratory diseases. (Sorry that knocks Beijing and Bankok off my list). I think I am pretty easy going.

By the way, South American schools can be nice and relaxed but if you are type A-ish this could be anti-relaxing for you! Keep it in mind. If you want a South American school where type A folks will fit in try Graded. They all seem pretty driven and stressed there! (And liking it that way, that just is how they thrive).

Beware the interview that grills you on instructional techniques and never asks anything about you personally. That school will probably not be a warm and fuzzy work environment. Friends and supportive colleagues are worth way more than 50K a year.
James Bond

Europe

Post by James Bond »

Generally speaking, with a few exceptions, the further south you go in Europe, the lower the pay and the weaker the school. I worked in Spain for two years. Private schools there are governed by a 'convenio' which is a nationwide agreement for teacher pay (the pay wasn't high). Previously the peseta destroyed any year-to-year salary increase, but the Euro offers stability; however, the cost of living in Spain has easily increased by 30% in the past 6 years. Northern Europe has many excellent schools with strong packages, however, the turnover is low, as many people don't want to leave. At my present school there are many North Americans that have lived in SE Asia, but choose to stay in Europe. They miss having maids and leading a colonial lifestyle, but remain due to the extremely high quality shared by Europeans. The mindset and social democratic thinking create an ideal place to live and bring up a family.
Nomad

Top International Schools

Post by Nomad »

How about the African continent? There are some excellent schools and packages as well as fabulous life experiences!
Sara

Re: go for it, and other random thoughts

Post by Sara »

Happy teaching wrote:Sara, you sound like you could easily find a job. CIS and ISS are combining their fair this year in Boston, and both have lots of European schools. Their latest recruiting fair update says they are expecting lots of jobs this year, I think.

Warsaw, Prague, Vienna and Budapest all have great schools, as does Bucharest and the K-8 school in Sofia isn't bad although they don't pay as much. But Bulgaria is cheaper to live in!

I have to say, good colleagues and administrators make or break a work place in my opinion. As a teacher we spend 180-190 days at work so it had better be with thoughtful stimulating people! Vacations can only keep you going for so long....

Money is nice, but saving potential is the key. It doesn't matter if you make a mint if you need to spend it all to live and eat.

My ideal school has a kind and generous administration who are concerned with the whole you as well as the whole child... Otherwise, my criteria include "no war zones" and small children can breathe the air without developing respiratory diseases. (Sorry that knocks Beijing and Bankok off my list). I think I am pretty easy going.

By the way, South American schools can be nice and relaxed but if you are type A-ish this could be anti-relaxing for you! Keep it in mind. If you want a South American school where type A folks will fit in try Graded. They all seem pretty driven and stressed there! (And liking it that way, that just is how they thrive).

Beware the interview that grills you on instructional techniques and never asks anything about you personally. That school will probably not be a warm and fuzzy work environment. Friends and supportive colleagues are worth way more than 50K a year.
Thanks for the encouragement! I would love to go to the joint ISS/CIS fair in Boston, but it's taking place at the same time as our state-wide standardized testing, and I know my prinicipal would flip if I tried to take time off that week (one of the many reasons I'm ready for a change--standardized testing is not at the top of my personal priority list). And having spent several months in Beijing myself, I am in total agreement with your quality of life criteria--I'd rather not go someplace that might infringe on my health or safety. So I'm willing to be open-minded about where I go....but still, as you indicated, I believe that Latin America would be a good fit for me because I am NOT that "type A" personality who needs to be stressed all the time. If I wanted that, I'd stay at my school in the U.S.!

So, I'd like to pose another question about these "top schools." Does "good school" always equal high stress for teachers? Or is the trade-off for less stress having to go deal with crummy administrators and bratty children?
JISAlum

Re: go for it, and other random thoughts

Post by JISAlum »

Sara wrote:
Happy teaching wrote:Sara, you sound like you could easily find a job. CIS and ISS are combining their fair this year in Boston, and both have lots of European schools. Their latest recruiting fair update says they are expecting lots of jobs this year, I think.

Thanks for the encouragement! I would love to go to the joint ISS/CIS fair in Boston, but it's taking place at the same time as our state-wide standardized testing, and I know my prinicipal would flip if I tried to take time off that week (one of the many reasons I'm ready for a change--standardized testing is not at the top of my personal priority list). And having spent several months in Beijing myself, I am in total agreement with your quality of life criteria--I'd rather not go someplace that might infringe on my health or safety. So I'm willing to be open-minded about where I go....but still, as you indicated, I believe that Latin America would be a good fit for me because I am NOT that "type A" personality who needs to be stressed all the time. If I wanted that, I'd stay at my school in the U.S.!

So, I'd like to pose another question about these "top schools." Does "good school" always equal high stress for teachers? Or is the trade-off for less stress having to go deal with crummy administrators and bratty children?
I think that anyone's experience with a school is a personal one. Whether or not you'll be happy anywhere is anyone's guess. Having worked at a generally described 'stressful' school, SAS, we had all character types working there. I did not feel more stress than other schools because the administration meet certain criteria that I felt important. You are going to get difficult parents no matter where you go. For me, the admin at SAS treated me as a professional. They had high expectations, but treated you like a pro. They provided a level of 'service' to me, and I gave that back. For me, that was great.

There were overseas vets there that did not last though. It all depended on what you are looking for. For me, being given all the tools, training, many of the decision making choices equated to less stress as a teacher. I knew that I had what I needed to succeed.
sibelsibel

Positions in the EU

Post by sibelsibel »

When I taught in Brussels, I was taxed at a rate of 44%, received no housing or furniure allowance, and received a very poor medical plan. It sounded like a good salary at the job fair, but there was nothing to save at the end of the month. I assumed that I was unique in my experience until I coached the school's baseball team and met other coaches from all over the EU. Everyone shared my experience of high taxes, no housing allowance, and no savings.

My advise to those thinking of the EU to teach, is to leave those jobs to the independently wealthy and those who simply want to work in "safe" locations. See the world and go to schools in the Middle East, Far East, and Africa. I saved more, and had wonderful experiences in these non-European schools. The EU is highly over rated.
beenthere

Post by beenthere »

My wife and I have taught in Africa, Lao and now Eastern Europe. All the schools have had their advantages and disadvantages and we try to take advantage of whatever opportunities there are. In Europe, nothing beats the history and the ease of travel, in SE Asia we were able to save and visit exotic beaches and in Africa we were intimately exposed to the culture (nothing like a Malawian Bottle Store after midnight). At each school we have been at there are people that are having equally rewarding experiences as well as people that are just counting the days until they can leave.

In the end you need to do your research and determine what your wants and needs are and how specific schools can meet those requirements. What is hard to do is walking away and not taking a job because it didn't meet your criteria and I have to admit I have been lucky because I don't know if I could do this.

I think that we also need to get over the "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome. Every school, whether overseas or in Canada, has had its warts and thinking that a school won't have issues is doing yourself an inservice.
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

beenthere wrote:Every school, whether overseas or in Canada, has had its warts and thinking that a school won't have issues is doing yourself an inservice.
I spent a couple of years at a to SE Asian school, one where the school, country and compensation were very good. While there I noticed many overseas vets come and go. Many I talked to were not all that happy even though the school would be at the top of anyone's list. The lack of community and close friends was often noted. Everyone was working so hard to keep up, the friendships, parties, feeling of 'community' was missing.

What makes a school 'work' for one, turns others off. Schools also go through cycles. I grew up at a top school, moving there when it was on it's way up. When I left it was at the top, but since has regressed in many areas. I think many successful vets find the positive no matter where they are. They also find ways to mitigate the negative and enjoy themselves no matter what.
garnettulip

Post by garnettulip »

If you are looking for more than $50K /year go to Hong Kong. After paying my taxes (17%) and after tavelling, and after shopping and after going out at weekends (and weekdays!) and after paying my rent and after paying all my utilities . . . I was SAVING that in a year! (not kidding, not exaggerating -- and I was JUST teaching)
guest5

Post by guest5 »

What school are you at in Hong Kong? Surely they don't all pay that well!
teacheroftheworld

Post by teacheroftheworld »

what about American School of The Hague? I have heard that is the place to be in Europe.
pinkdiva

teach in Hong kong

Post by pinkdiva »

[quote="garnettulip"]If you are looking for more than $50K /year go to Hong Kong. After paying my taxes (17%) and after tavelling, and after shopping and after going out at weekends (and weekdays!) and after paying my rent and after paying all my utilities . . . I was SAVING that in a year! (not kidding, not exaggerating -- and I was JUST teaching)[/quote]

I am intersted in applying for teaching positions with the ESF in Hong Kong. Are you familiar with their reputation? I would be interested to know how you saved $50K a year in Hong Kong. Are their also opportunities to do private ESL work with professionals as I also have a mA Linguistics?

Any advice you have on Hong Kong would be greatly appreciated.