Good luck with the new website but let's be positive

HRA6

Good luck with the new website but let's be positive

Post by HRA6 »

Good luck to all concerned with this new website. It could be a very useful means of helping colleagues and act as an agent for positive change.

It could equally be an outlet for the disgruntled who sadly are not always accurate in their depictions of a situation. We must trust that the owners of this site, despite their hand washing disclaimer in the registration process will take their responsibilities seriously and avoid giving publicity and credence to ill-considered staffroom gossip. Such "chattering" may perhaps be harmless enough in a moment of bile in the privacy of your favourite corner, but hardly fit for publishing.

Working overseas is a challenge and an adventure, but you have to be positive. Don't assume that because you can buy Heinz Beanz and the Daily Express that the "culture" which gave you these items is also freely available. What would be the point?

My own school has had its share of unbelievable people, reasons for leaving including; "I can't stand the smell of the camels", " I didn't think it would be so hot" (in Qatar), "I can't accept that I'm not entitled to Maternity Leave, I've been here 2 months", "The (free) air conditioning is bad for my health", and my personal favourite, " I didn't think there would be so many darkies in an English Medium School"

Working in an International School is a fantastic opportunity to be a good teacher, do your homework well and enjoy the adventure!

The other side of the coin

Post by guest »

...and I've had heads of schools lose unbelievably good people for various reasons. I've heard school Heads say things like: "We don't provide for professional development because the teachers just leave and take it with them", or "We won't provide for Recruitment Leave, because after all the expense of getting you here, we don't want to make it easy for you to go", or "We won't contribute to your continuing education since you'd just be doing that anyway", or "Teachers don't know s**t about schools!" or "We don't want our teachers to be having kids, so we won't provide maternity benefits." My personal favorite was when a board member said, in a meeting; "teachers are belly aching whiners who are never satisfied and just want everything and have no clue about what the school needs", and the Head laughed and agreed instead of defending the teachers. If I had known about the pervasive attitude towards the professional staff, I never would have accepted work with that director.

Yes, International Schools ARE a wonderful opportunity to be an excellent teacher. They are also a prime opportunity to be misrepresented to in the interviews, to be manipulated without protection, to be set back 2-3 years in your professional growth and career advancement, and to be forced into situations that would be illegal with the labor laws and union guidelines in the states. DO your homework. And warn your counterparts about directors like that. There is nothing 'cultural' about wanting to squeeze international teachers for a few years, and not provide fair, reasonable and professional treatment in return.
lostboy

Dime a Dozen!

Post by lostboy »

One thing seems obvious, there is no shortage of teachers willing to sign on the dotted line for an opportunity to work abroad, even if the sign said "we'll treat you like crap", they would still sign on. "Post it and they will come" should be the motto. Just the opportunity to be in a foreign land, some exotic place, or a tropical wonderland, is blinding at a moment of opportunity. Really, now, how many of us have jumped at the opportunity to whine and complain or worse, jump ship, later? There are so many who will ignore the warnings of others to sign on for that opportunity to be far away. Don't do it, read and inquire further, you know like, the way we are suppose to teach kids, to be inquisitive, inquirers, and based on information, make an informed decision. Then again, do we practice what we teach, or are we a "dime a dozen'? If so, could you please write 1000 times, I am not dumb. 8)