Int. School of Myanmar--Teachers Can't Talk to Parents?

joethelion

Int. School of Myanmar--Teachers Can't Talk to Parents?

Post by joethelion »

I wrote of ISM before because they are changing with their contracts and are trying to keep staff money. From talking with others here, I see that there are two sides to that point.

But a new thing--a teacher was reprimand and not given a new contract because he told a parent he was not planning on coming back. Teacher is forced to sign a paper saying he will not talk with any parents from the school.

Has anyone hear of a school that tells you you cannot talk to other adults on your own time? Yes, it is Myanmar. But this is not my point. My point is can a school with ethics try to do this?

I am not signing the new contract. But I do not like how they are treating we teachers and students.
PsyGuy

Confused???

Post by PsyGuy »

Ok so we recognize that its Myanmar, and that in itself makes this a whole other planet to deal with (pretty much like any country, is an island onto themselves). Im confused by your query which HEAVILY begs the question "can a school with ETHICS try to do this", it seems to imply that a school with ethics wouldnt do this and a school without ethics can but shouldnt.

And thats not really the point and you know it, because the answer is of course that your right. Can a school do that though sure, happens all the time. Private schools and most international schools are private schools anywhere have pretty wide discretion to dictate policy as they see fit. The issue here isnt really one of teacher rights (such as a legal right to speak with a parent) but is more concerned with the schools adherence in this case to local labor laws. The school is simply establishing a paper trail, in case they do decide to terminate the teacher, that they had good cause to do so. They have teacher sign a memo of understanding that they arent to talk to parents (right or wrong, is irrelevant), so that if the teacher violates the policy, after being advised, they would have good cause to terminate the teacher for insubordination. It happens all the time actually, in a variety of situations (not necessarily this one).

Back in Italy we had a teacher who would bring his newspaper to school, and would read it while students were engaged in independent work, he had to sign a memo that he wouldnt even bring a news paper into his classroom unless it was part of the lesson.
joethelion

Post by joethelion »

Yes psyguy, thank you. I understand. I think you are right--we know that it is not ethical of course. We are adults. School cannot tell us to not talk to other adults.

I meant really this--in places like United States can schools make teachers sign agreements like this. I haven't taught in US and I've only been teaching in places without real strong labor laws. So I guess I was asking not if its ethical, but if this sort of thing is done in places with a history of worker rights.

I guess that's why we keep working at places like ISM. Get the experience and get to places with honor.