tax free income in Europe

Guadalajara

tax free income in Europe

Post by Guadalajara »

Does anyone know which countries in Europe don't require U.S. citizens to pay income tax (atleast for the first few years)? Even though the U.S. has tax treaties with many European countries, this doesn't always translate into tax-free salaries for U.S. citizens. Given the cost of living in Western Europe and a 40-60% tax rate, this information will greatly influence our decision about which countries to pursue. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom...
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Android

Post by Android »

Eastern European is a hidden gem in international school teaching. I often wondered as to why everyone wants to go to Western & Northern Europe when Eastern Europe is just as beautiful ( if not more ), has easy access to many more interesting countries and standard of living is a bit cheaper etc. I work in Tokyo now. I've worked at three premier schools in my entire 10 years of international teaching ( two in Tokyo, Japan and one in Europe ). After this stint, I am considering of going to Eastern Europe. I would have enough money saved up by then to live like a king and be able to be ok with a smaller salary at an Eastern European international school.
civico

How hard is it to get a job in Eastern Europe?

Post by civico »

While Western Europe is a great place to be, I've also always been very intrigued with Eastern Europe and like Android, don't understand why it is so often overlooked, both as a tourist destination and for work.

I would like to know how easy it is to get a job in Eastern Europe, however. My associate with Search Associates told me that Eastern Europe was even more difficult to break in to then Western Europe, which I find hard to believe, but he mentioned that the cost of living is lower and that the taxes are non-existant or really small. So, is he right? Is Eastern Europe even harder to get in to?

I currently am looking for my first job teaching in an international school but have 5 years teaching experience in social studies and special education in the States. I am certified for both subjects.

Any thoughts on the situation in Eastern Europe in general and on if I have a shot?
PsyGuy

Simple answer

Post by PsyGuy »

Not to be unfair, but the simple answer is there are fewer schools in eastern europe then in Western Europe. For instance Search Associates has 11 schools in Italy, and only 1 school in all of Russia. It doesnt mean theres only one school, just that the ratios are consistent across regions (incidentally its the same reason why Asia is easier then Europe to break into, Ex. China which has a comparable land mass to Russia has 47 schools).

Secondly, the schools in eastern europe tend to be the National Curriculum schools which puts them on the level with the upper tier 1 schools, meaning there isnt really a tier 2 or 3 market. So teaching at the American School of Warsaw (Poland, one of 2 schools) is just as competitive as applying to say ISB in Bangkok, or AOSR in Rome.

Lastly, Eastern europe is just under represented in the global market, which means you dont have as many foreignors posted in those countries, meaning you dont need as many schools to serve a smaller student base (theres like 12 schools in eastern europe).

So answer to your question "Do you have a shot?", well if your credentials are strong enough to get you into western europe they are probably strong enough to get you in to eastern europe. If you can get in AISJ in Japan, or WAB in Beijing, yeah you should feel comfortable competing in eastern europe.